Home Education

Options
Hi, due to various reason we have had to take the very difficult decision of removing my Year 6 Daughter from school. There are no school places for her and in reality only has like 6 weeks to go until they break up.

Therefore had no choice but to de-register her and commence Home Ed. I have already drawn up timetables and have lots of lovely exciting things for us to do together including educational outings too.

I have joined various website so I could get work plans and ides and topic sheets etc and most can be done online. the most favourite part of all this is that she can now learn Spanish and we can include needle craft.

I have explained to her that there is going to be lots of ups and downs but we need to work together and keep calm. anyhow so, my question on here is two things:

Is there a forum group for Home Education on here to get info and tips and ideas from?

and is there anyone else in a similar position where we can get free entrance to educational places to visit
TopCashback £1792.63
My Little World

Comments

• LoopyLoops
    LoopyLoops Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have been home educating my 3 for the last 7 years. There are lots of groups on FB that support local and nationally. Not aware of anything on this forum though.

If you call places that you want to visit they will usually offer the same discount that they give to school children. Many will not insist on group bookings, but some will. You could organise a large group via your local HE groups though.

Hope you find the support you are looking for. If I can help please do shout.
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you going to continue to "Home Educate" from September or is she going to go back into mainstream, presumably in a school she was allocated a place for in March?

If she is going to mainstream secondary then make sure they know she is being home schooled for these next few weeks, and that she is invited to all the induction activities that will be taking place.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
  • tensandunits_2
    Options
    I would certainly home-school if I had school age chlldren now.
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • Doody
    Doody Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Enjoy your time with your daughter. Our own family's experience of home education is a memory to treasure.
    'Get Brexit done' is a lie[
    "Your deal won’t get Brexit done, Mr Johnson. It gets you to the start line, and then the real tough stuff begins"
    Betty Boothroyd
  • GarthThomas
    GarthThomas Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    I would certainly home-school if I had school age chlldren now.

I most definitely wouldn't. My wife and I are both highly educated, and will have done better in most subjects than those who teach them in most schools, but that's not enough. We are not trained educators, and there is so much more to school than the curriculum.

Our children will attend a state school, and where it falls short academically, we'll make up the difference at home.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have already drawn up timetables and have lots of lovely exciting things for us to do together including educational outings too.
    However much I agree that education and learning should have an element of fun, I also think that a big part of education is about teaching dealing with routine, self-discipline and learning to face and cope with stressful events, which clearly is not fun.

I have always considered school education to be about gaining academic knowledge, but as much if not more, preparing gradually kids to the reality of adult life. Learning to make friends, to adapt to groups, dealing with a demanding workload, preparing for exams and dealing with the anxiety of wanting to do well, coping with authority, even when you don't agree with it, all those things are in my view essential to preparing a child to the inevitable reality of adulthood.

My experience of home education is that some parents are very good at incorporating all those skills in the learning their kids get home, but I also know parents who have removed their kids for the exact reason of removing them from this part of the learning process and I really feel these parents are doing them a massive disfavour.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    I know several young people in their late teens who have been home educated. They are all considered to be very odd among their peers, and I have to say I wouldn't disagree. They seem to struggle with appropriate social interaction - one boy thought it would be fine to chat up 12 and 13 year old girls - he was 19!

I would think this through very carefully.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I very nearly removed my year 6 child from school due to such violence and nastiness in the class. Things have settled slightly so hope to get through the last few weeks!
    Is this a permanent move or does your child have a secondary school lined up?
    I can see a place for home education ( learning a range of things not covered in schools and protection from bullies etc) but there are aspects other than the learning that are important. How to deal with conflict, how to negotiate, how to assert yourself, compromise, team work, mixing with people from other cultures etc. You can't do that effectively at home. As uncomfortable as it is we need to teach youngsters to be resilient and have coping strategies. There is also a reason why schools can't just employ anyone. You may be great at teaching English for example, but are you as competent in Science, Maths, Religion, IT etc? Secondary education is more than reading textbooks. Your child could inadvertently get left behind academically and socially. I may have just rambled as it might well be you have as secondary place lined up! I get the impression that's the case? Good luck and hope everything works out.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Mr_Costcutter Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    I most definitely wouldn't. My wife and I are both highly educated, and will have done better in most subjects than those who teach them in most schools,.

I spent my life working as a medical research scientist and worked with two people who were 'home educated'. Neither of them attended school, but both went to university and graduated with doctorates. They were highly motivated individuals who had a breadth of knowledge in many areas. They were sociable, well travelled, and wise beyond their years. Quite frankly, I think they had really benefitted from being able to develop their interests and nurturing their own particular talents. They had also mixed with people from all age groups and not just their own peer group - this had served them well.

I personally take my hat off to all parents who decide to travel the route of home educating their children :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure