Cheap energy club tariffs wrong

Options
I have recently used the cheap energy club, to change from BG to cheaper suppliers. Today I looked at my bill from British Gas. And found that the tariff on the club site is higher than I'm really on with BG. So when compared with other suppliers, it looks like I'm going to make a bigger saving than I really am.
So carefully check your current suppliers tariff before making a decision to change. I will still be making a good saving. So it was worth using the club.
Has anyone else found their tariff to be wrong?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 May 2017 at 7:10PM
    Options
    Unit prices and standing charge around 5% higher by any chance ? :D

The quote includes VAT which the unit prices on the bill do not. Or you have not input the exact correct tariff into your account, often easily done with the plethora of similarly named tariffs and some companies using the end date in the name and others the start date.
  • Former_MSE_Laura_B
    Options
    Hi Cyberwebjaw,

As molerat mentions, it could be that the difference you're seeing here is VAT. All figures quoted on CEC include VAT at 5% so that we can give you a full cost comparison. If you multiply each of your rates by 1.05, do they match up to what's shown on CEC?

If not, then it could be that maybe you've selected a different tariff. It might be worth double checking this, too.

If you're still finding that the rates aren't matching up, then drop us an email to energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com so that we can take a look into this further for you!

Thanks,
    MSE Laura
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aren't comparison calculations done using mainly your present supplier's variable tariff (if you are the end of your fix period) , as the government directed ? This over emphasises any savings, as those who have fixed before are highly likely to do so again.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2017 at 6:23PM
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Aren't comparison calculations done using mainly your present supplier's variable tariff (if you are the end of your fix period) , as the government directed ? This over emphasises any savings, as those who have fixed before are highly likely to do so again.

Only if you actively request that style calculation from the CEC - the default is based on current cost.

Either way, the CEC details the tariff costs used (inc VAT as MSE Laura says) to arrive at the savings figure
    How does the comparison calculator work?

The calculator estimates your current energy usage based on your annual kilowatt hour (kWh) usage, your bill amount or the answers to the estimator questions provided.

It takes (or calculates) your current kWh usage by comparing the data you supply with the unit costs of your current tariff. Next, this is multiplied against the kWh unit costs of other tariffs provided by other suppliers in your area.

Any additional savings offered by the supplier based on payment or billing types are also taken into account. The estimated annual savings figure is calculated by subtracting the costs of other tariffs from your current costs.
    https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/faq
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport