Here we go

Options
Hello! I’ve been a lurker on these boards for years and have read many of your inspirational diaries, but have now decided to take the plunge and crack on with my own.

Bit of background, we got a 30 year mortgage last year and have already paid our 10% yearly overpayment allowance. The plan is to do that again next year. Our house has been a bit of a ‘project’ in that everything we touch ends up becoming a mammoth task/expense, so reaching that overpayment allowance next year might be a bit of a struggle as we still have an extension to complete, but it's still worth a try!

Current mortgage stands at £209,420.70 and we cannot make overpayments until January. I estimate we’ll be able to overpay around £20,800, so this is my goal for the next year. We have been saving for this, but as the house seems to have turned into a money sucking machine I’m slightly worried about ploughing all of our savings into the mortgage. This will need some thought.

I’m hoping that this diary keeps me accountable. A few years ago I used many of the techniques I’d read about on MSE to pay off our large credit card bills (NSDs, tilly tidies, etc) so am hoping that by starting these again we can get into good habits and clear that mortgage ASAP.

Comments

• louloubelle79
    Options
    Enjoy the journey, that's an amazing amount of OPs to make-well done!! Look forward to hearing about you becoming MF :money:
  • Merchandiser2367
    Options
    Good Luck, we are also just starting out so hopefully we'll both get there down the road :)
    Mortgage When Started Over Pay 01/11/2017- £146,500
    Current Total - 10/02/2022 - £6,500 (With Offset
    £10k Savings)
    5 year fix
    MFW hopefully by March 2022
    01/11/17 - £10k / £10k Emergency Savings :beer:
  • Escapar2020
    Options
    Starting as you mean to go on, well done and good luck!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Botherthatcat
    Options
    Good Morning, thank you for the welcomes - I shall have a look at your diaries when I have a moment.

Hoping that today will be an NSD after yesterday -
    • £13.79 in supermarket (although that should be the end of food shopping for this week)
    • £14.40 in The Entertainer (birthday cards and a gift for a party DS is going to this weekend)
    • £34 on tickets for DD's drama show (v expensive, but sure the parental pride will make it all worth it!)
    • £22.50 on charity website for Christmas cards (Am sure could have got these much cheaper elsewhere, but DS sadly suffers from a condition that this charity fundraises for, so worth every penny)

No children's after school activities today (thank goodness!) so hopefully a nice quiet, non spending evening. Have just checked my food/fun fund bank account and we have £13.94 left until Wednesday(!) Half term next week too. Looks like we'll be doing lots of walks and making the most of our local attractions membership for the first few days!
  • Botherthatcat
    Options
    Good Morning, NSD achieved yesterday and hoping for the same today. Just gymnastics after school and then a nice quiet evening. OH returns from a business trip tonight after being away in Europe for the last few days - have already informed him that his welcome home meal will consist of 'Freezer Surprise'. Had a look through the chest freezer last night and was horrified to see how much meat there was. Need to start looking up some interesting recipes for the large amount of beef mince and braising steak we have floating around in there.
  • Botherthatcat
    Options
    Weekend over. Had frugal plans to take the DC to the cinema to watch the early morning cheap junior showing but sadly neither child (or I!) were in the mood for "Captain Underpants", so paid full price to see another film instead. Then joined DH and went to a local pub for lunch where children can eat for free. Cost slightly more than expected, but at least it prevented the inevitable cabin fever that would have ensued should we have stayed at home all day :D

Payday this week. We've got a large house bill to pay this month, as well as an oil bill, so will need to carefully budget. Normally we try to save my salary for mortgage overpayments, but this month I have a feeling we might have to dip in. I realise we are in a fortunate position to be able to do this, but my salary fluctuates too much to be relied upon.

Right, onto weekend jobs. Was hoping because it's half term that we would avoid the Sunday night slump, but there's a pile of washing that needs to be ironed and folded, packed lunches to be made and meals to plan :)
  • Botherthatcat
    Options
    NSD day achieved today. After picking up the children from their morning holiday club after work, we went to MIL's for a spot of free entertainment since it was pouring down in typical half term fashion.

Operation use up the freezer farmyard is still in force - using last night's roast chicken in a curry tonight (and will bulk it up with vegetables to try and make it last another meal for the children tomorrow :D)

Looking forward to payday to get organised with money this month. Logged into my cashback account last night to see that I have over £200 in cashback that can be paid out :) Not sure what to do with it though. DH thinks we should just get the cash, but if I pick vouchers then we can get up to 10% extra value. Was quite pleased when I saw a certain Toy Shop can give vouchers and increase the value of the cashback, but my Christmas shopping for the children is already complete :o

Plans for tonight - sew! After a clear out yesterday, I have decided to try and use up my fabric stash, after realising I have gained enough material to last me until I'm an OAP. Therefore,I am on a complete clothes buying ban and if I need something, I will simply have to make time and make it myself. Desperately need to make some skirts and dresses for work, most of them were purchased long before the DC came along and are seriously starting to show their age :eek:
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    How talented you are to be able to make your own clothes, I am a tad jealous :o my sewing skills are limited to cushion covers although I might try my hand at some book covers for teacher presents this year if I can get one to work (but its still a rectangular cover of some sort so not really a step up ;))

I've subscribed to your diary, good luck on your MFW journey
  • Botherthatcat
    Options
    Morning, not the most frugal of days yesterday. Day off work and decided to let the children decide what they wanted to do (cinema - M4J) but it was so busy we ended up in the front row. Must make more of an effort to get there early in future as it was a little intense watching a bright, loud animated film so close :eek: (I normally like a little nap).

As soon as we walked in the door on our return home I realised that the kitchen was out of bounds as the painter was there. Had to seek refuge in a local cafe for lunch (£14.40) and to avoid going home we went to the park, then I had the bright idea to walk to the shop and buy pumpkins. Realised my error as soon as I picked one up. Had no idea how heavy they were, but it tired the children out carrying them home at least :D There was no way they were going to leave that shop unless we'd purchased a pumpkin each and all the assorted Halloween paraphernalia (£9.35!).

Finished my frocks last night too, estimate those two dresses (with fabric/zips/cotton/etc) cost around £25ish each. Whilst sewing is an expensive hobby it does save money for me in the long run, before the DC came along I used to think nothing of spending £75-£100 on dresses :eek: (Plus, after the fabric stash stock take, there won't be anymore purchases in that department for a very long time). I'm also short so struggle to find dresses the right length and fit for me so it makes sense to make ones that fit properly rather than pay for ones that don't to be altered.

Payday today, DH's take home amount is more than we'd originally guestimated, so that will need double checking. Also realised that we can start our next year mortgage OPs next month, so am feeling very excited about that. Have moved money to the food/fun fund and will need to sit down tonight and work out how much will be left after the big bills this month. DS's birthday is also coming up soon so will need to put money aside to pay the swimming centre for his party. Supermarket shop today too, but since we're on a freezer use up mission, hopefully it shouldn't be more than £30 for bread, milk, fruit and veg. Will also look at doing a bulk online order for the essentials.

Also hoping tonight I have a quiet moment tonight to look at and read some diaries, since I've started my own diary I haven't had a chance to read anyone else's yet :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure