Hungry Horse

Options
Hi

I have cash back for HH plus they have a £5 off deal on their website.

Last time I ate in one of these was about 20 years ago when the standard meal was steak, chips and peas.

The food seems really cheap anyway, is it OK for the money? We are looking for a cheap lunch on our holiday journey

Comments

• wiltsguy_2
    wiltsguy_2 Posts: 536 Forumite
    Options
    we have a local one to us and use it regulary as they offer 20%military discount. You get what you pay for. We normally have a 2 adult course meals with drinks(some soft/some alcohol) and the bill is always under £50! My son and i always have a steak, which to be fair has always been cooked nicely and well presented. I have never had a bad meal in there.

Dont expect Michelin star food, nor will you get a Michelin star bill.....
    Plan: [STRIKE]Finish off paying the remainder of my debts[/STRIKE].
    [STRIKE]Save up for that rainy day[/STRIKE].
    Start enjoying a stress debt free life..:beer:...now enjoying. thanks to all on MSE
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    wiltsguy wrote: »
    we have a local one to us and use it regulary as they offer 20%military discount. You get what you pay for. We normally have a 2 adult course meals with drinks(some soft/some alcohol) and the bill is always under £50! My son and i always have a steak, which to be fair has always been cooked nicely and well presented. I have never had a bad meal in there.

Dont expect Michelin star food, nor will you get a Michelin star bill.....

Thanks

Fortunately we are dead cow rather than Michelin star:D
  • wiltsguy_2
    wiltsguy_2 Posts: 536 Forumite
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    Thanks

Fortunately we are dead cow rather than Michelin star:D

lol! then you should be ok. steaks start from around £6 for 5oz, up to £13 for a 20oz Rump.
    Plan: [STRIKE]Finish off paying the remainder of my debts[/STRIKE].
    [STRIKE]Save up for that rainy day[/STRIKE].
    Start enjoying a stress debt free life..:beer:...now enjoying. thanks to all on MSE
  • dadsgoneshopping
    Options
    I have only ate in two HHs in one the food was ok, in the other, I wouldn't give it to my dog. You get what you pay for, drink bottle beer, there on tap stuff always tastes flat/crap/warm
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You get what you pay for. We went on Tuesday for the £5 mains deal, and got a fivers worth of food each. Can't complain.
  • Mallotum_X
    Mallotum_X Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    Options
    Good value pub food, fair prices, reasonable portions.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks may give the one at manchester heald green a try

sat in the beer garden watching planes
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been to our local HH a few times; the servings are large, and the food ranges from not bad to not very good.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Look out for deals that include a drink (or have a drink add-on for £1). These are often extremely good VFM, and sometimes are only available at particular times or particular days.

e.g. Wednesday Curry Day: Chicken Tikka Masala + Rice + Poppadom + Chutneys/Dips + Drink = £5

On the other hand, I tried the Chilli Hot Dog from their new lunch menu, and I very nearly sent it back because it had virtually no chilli on it. My test for lunch VFM is whether it is better or worse than McDs. In this case worse. In the case of the Curry, better.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    have been to several Hungry Horse pubs.

Most are fine. A couple of shonky ones exist around the country. Send the food back if it isn't up to scratch.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport