Options
Possibly a question that's obvious and been asked many times before here but,

If you have a default, if you don't intend to apply for any credit at all for the foreseeable, is there really any point in satisfying that default?
Rather than wait 6 year period and allow it to drop off.

Comments

• Dribiddi
    Dribiddi Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes. You took credit, agreed to the terms, used that credit, you should pay back that credit
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's also the potential CCJ to consider.
  • PMW17
    PMW17 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to forums in general, and unsure if this is the right way to post a new topic but I can't see a way to start a new thread.

I'm trying to apply for a mortgage, but have been told by my mortgage advisor that because I defaulted on payments to my car finance company in 2016, no-one will lend me anything above 85% (i.e. 15% deposit required).

I have looked at my credit report, and it would appear that although I missed payments, the finance company never actually recorded a default. The reason I missed payments was silly - I cancelled a future payment because I realised that I wasn't going to be able to pay it (all on the advice of the finance company), and then the next day re-organised my payment schedule with the company. However, for some reason this didn't work, and for 6 months they were trying to contact me at my old address about it. When I realised the issue, I paid the remainder of the account off in full.

Basically, my query is - is this automatically a default, or just missed payments? What is the impact of both scenarios on my ability to borrow money? Will any lenders look at the reasons for missed payments rather than just the facts?

When the issue occurred, I was a very skint student going through a terrible life crisis. My life, and subsequently my money management, has changed dramatically since then, and I know that I could afford the mortgage repayments but need to be approved first!

Any help would be so much appreciated :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it's a default, it will be recorded as a default on your files. Check all three.

Are you using a decent broker, or one out of an estate agent/bank?
  • PMW17
    Options
    Hi - thanks for your reply.

I've just this morning spoken to an in independant mortgage advisor (the other guy was linked to the agent) who said that from what I have told her, there is no reason I shouldn't get a 95% loan. However, she advised I check Experian, as currently I only have looked at my Equifax report. I have just tried to sign up with Experian, and they cannot verify my ID!? The plot thickens! Any ideas?

Thanks again! :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Try signing up on the MSE Credit Club - they use Experian and will provide your report for free
  • PMW17
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, but I tried and because Experian can't verify my identity, I can't sign up for the MSE Credit Club :(
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PMW17 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, but I tried and because Experian can't verify my identity, I can't sign up for the MSE Credit Club :(

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=257

Look for the blue box with new tgread on it, its just below "main site" which is on the left near the top.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure