Groupon Mystery Gift

Excuse me if i've put this on the wrong board, I was unsure. I've also search the entire forum but didn't find anything about this.

I came across a mystery gift purchase on Groupon today. It's seems a bit a like paid competition. You can choose either a Mystery gift for £7.98 or a deluxe gift for £16.98. You can choose which mystery gift you'd like to 'win' and Groupon will send you an item at random with guaranteed minimum value.

I'm tempting to go for the regular mystery as today there's also 15% off so would be approx. £6.79. Minimum gift value is £26.97

Wanted to check if anyone has experience with this. It seems they run these mystery things often.

Here's the link - https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/gg-groupon-goods-global-gmb-h-5-1872-36479283

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 July 2015 at 9:34PM
    If it's anything like some of their "deals" you could be paying more than the gift is really worth.

I've had a quick look at the deluxe one you pay £16.98 for and they claim is worth at least £47.96 - with very little effort I found the items elsewhere for £18.99 (They probably use rrps so in the package the selfie stick is "worth" £29.99 instead of the £7.99 you can buy it for on Amazon)

One of the £27.97 gifts is the same as the above deluxe one just without the selfie stick so can be had for £11.00
  • I went for one of these 'mystery gift with a chance to win' deals a couple of months ago. It was fragrance/toiletries rather than tech but what I received was very poor, barely even the value of what I paid let alone the suggested minimum value. I complained and immediately got a full refund, no quibbles, got the feeling I wasn't the only one.

So be wary would be my advice!
  • I have purchased one of these as I felt ready for a little gamble and was interested in seeing what I would actually get! I ordered this item 10 days ago and am still waiting for delivery? hmm. I online chatted to an advisor who told me to check back again tomorrow and see what's happening with it. It has a tracking number and I know my order is in London so fingers crossed it arrives soon. When it arrives I will pop back on here and let you know what I received.

I have also order mystery boxes fro firebox.com and am super impressed with them so if you are looking for a mystery gift I would recommend those ones but they are a little more pricey at £35 each plus delivery unless you order over £50.00

Hope this helps and I look forward to reporting back!!
  • mjm3346
    anneka_12 wrote: »
    I have purchased one of these as I felt ready for a little gamble and was interested in seeing what I would actually get! I ordered this item 10 days ago and am still waiting for delivery? hmm. I online chatted to an advisor who told me to check back again tomorrow and see what's happening with it. It has a tracking number and I know my order is in London so fingers crossed it arrives soon. When it arrives I will pop back on here and let you know what I received.

I have also order mystery boxes fro firebox.com and am super impressed with them so if you are looking for a mystery gift I would recommend those ones but they are a little more pricey at £35 each plus delivery unless you order over £50.00

Hope this helps and I look forward to reporting back!!

You might just as well place a bet, buy scratchcards, lotto tickets etc.
    Whatever you get the vast majority of people will get something worth less than what they have paid for it - the company not only has to make a profit it also needs to make enough on most of the ones sold to cover the extra on the very few that are worth more than the price paid.
  • wingobins
    wingobins Posts: 20,649 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I also got the mystery tech gift a while back and it was disappointing! I got an iPad cover which I could have got from £1 shop and a pair of in ear cheap headphones which the kids claimed! I suppose it was a gamble!
    Big thanks to all who contribute to the forums. Be lucky everyone and be safe!
  • Received mine today.. i ordered mystery gift for him and I received cheap pair of blue head phones a pink usb cable and kodak 5 pack the shirt transfers.. I could have got all these cheaper so very disappointed.. I tried to leave a review on the Groupon site but looks like u can't.. not a happy bunny
  • lolamia
    lolamia Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    i did it with the watches hoping i would get a good one i paid a tenner and ended up getting a watch worth £25 so not too bad but not the one i was gambling for. I feel these are for people who have money to waste as its highly unlucky you will recieve the good item. totally a gamble
    Thanks to everyone's hard work in posting comps, and good luck to all :T An iPad A years supply of fudge A book Balance Festival tickets A set of recycled plant pots A £500 nights stay in Chelsea Thanks to everyone
  • I just recieved my groupon delux mystery gift and i am unhappy to say the least there was 15% off so it was only £9.78. The gift was supposed amount to the worth of £48.00 all i recieved was 10 poxy make up brushes and a tiny amount of foundation Total con.
  • send it back, have did this before and they told me to keep it and refunded
  • mjm3346
    What is the point in paying for random items you may not want and in the overwhelming majority of cases paying more than the items are worth?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure