Help I'm confused about benefits!

Options
Hi, The background to the situation is this. My OH was made redundant in Dec, he had another prospective job to go to and thought all was ok, when they phoned and said they couldn't take him on at the present time and would keep him on file:confused:

Anyway, he now needs to see what he is entitled to as we are struggling. I called up the Job centre number and he said my OH would be entitled to claim Contribution based JSA. As I work, he could not claim Income based JSA, Council tax benefit or housing benefit.

Is this right????? so after 6 months he would get nothing if he didn't get a job?

Also how do they assess that what i earn is enough for us to live on? I earn 12k a year! Also could I be eligable for working tax credit?

I am so confused and feel I am going around in a circle! :mad: Any help will be greatly appreciated

LL
Looking forward to Christmas 2009!!
:santa2::snow_laug:santa2:

Comments

• lavidaloca
    Options
    I am in the same boat. As far as I understand because I work and earn roughly the same as you DH gets contribution JSA of £60.50 for 6 months after that it is income based JSA which is means tested. So they will take into account what you earn plus any savings over £6000.00.

Try this site to input figures to see if you qualify for working tax credits. Do you have children?
    http://www.entitledto.co.uk/
  • lisa-lashes
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your reply, My OH has 2 children but they reside with his ex, he has access and we have them one weekend a month and two nights a week, plus after school each day until collected, I think however he would not be entitled to any child related benefit as they are classed as residing else where?
  • lavidaloca
    Options
    No he wouldn't get any thing extra for them as they reside with his ex.
  • Marcheline
    Options
    Hi Lisa_Lashes, I think you should be eligible for Working Tax Credit, if you earn less than £15k a year, work full time and are over 25/26 years old. Check out https://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/Qualify/WhatAreTaxCredits.aspx for more info. If I were you call up the WTC helpline and they should be able to tell you.
  • lisa-lashes
    Options
    Hi, Thank you all for your replies.

My OH went to the citizens advice today and asked for some advice on claiming benefits. They basically said that he would only get contribution based JSA and that should he be able to do anything contract wise to earn money whilst looking for a job, this would be taken off the 60.50 £ for £ ignoring the first £5.

He has some work that may come in so feels that should he claim JSA now, he may end up paying it all back!:confused:

I looked into claiming council tax benefit, the on line site states that i could be entitled to £12 a week, will have to follw up that one, but OH has ti sign on first and i have to prove he has no income, so this may be effected by the small amount of contract work he gets also.

So still on the Merry go round :(
  • lisa-lashes
    Options
    I also forgot to say that once the 6 months of JSA contribution based is up, then it would be means tested and as I have an income he would get nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family