Gift cards for supermarket shopping

Options
13»

Comments

• 7_week_wonder
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me about this. I'm sure OH's work is part of one of the schemes, but I never got round to following it up. Even if we can't use it for petrol I reckon 5% savings shouldn't be sneezed at.
  • ollyshaw
    ollyshaw Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    alinwales wrote: »
    see this thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4180479

Olly, the gravy train is ending :(

(I wish I knew about it 5 months ago!)

You're right. I just got the email confirming this yesterday. Bah! Easy come easy go I suppose.

Olly
    ## No signature by order of the management ##
  • blythboy01
    blythboy01 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi do you still get discounts on Thomson gift cards. Both my wife and I used too - I work for a Government Department and my wife a local council but Thomson's have stopped these. Just wondered if anyone else still gets the discount?

don9999 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd update this thread as I have now been using these gift cards for a few months. Have probably saved many 10's and possibly over £100 already. Just by doing my normal shopping but using the gift cards.

For example, I regularly buy multiple £50 gift cards for Sainsburys (5% discount) and Asda (4% discount).
    I then fill up with fuel periodically at Sainsburys (£50 at a time) - is equivalent to around 7.5p off per litre!
    I use the Asda gift cards for all my grocery shopping :-)

In addition, I have used Cineworld (10% discount) £20 gift cards, and WH Smiths (8% discount) £20 gift cards for all my relevant spending there.

I am just about to embark on my biggest potential saving yet. Am considering booking a Thomson holiday for the family at nearly £5,000.
    I can get Thomson gift cards at 6% discount, so this could save me around £300! I haven't found ANY other way of getting a discount off a Thomson holiday.....
    (I think I have to pay for 'some' of the holiday on normal credit card so that I get the credit card liability cover).

Just thought, if anyone wants me to get them gift cards, feel free to PM me. Am happy to help out other MSEr's
  • shirleytch
    shirleytch Posts: 231 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi - I work for a management consultancy and we are able to purchase discounted gift cards for a number of retailers. I checked out and for Thomson you earn points 1 point per £1 which you can then redeem at Amazon and others. However this is capped at £15 so not the best saving ever.
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry to be a bit thick here.

Been reading all this, can you only get these gift cards through companies as we are retired?

If you can get them any other way and you want to pay for your weekly shop can you still use coupons as well?

Thanks
  • 3userbod
    Options
    If you have a Vanquis credit card and join their ValueSaver scheme, you can buy supermarket gift cards, discount on Sainsbury is 4%. You can cancel membership of the scheme at any time. I am wondering if you can quit the scheme and still use the gift cards you have bought? I do not want to be a member of the scheme for long as it costs £6.95 per month.
  • 3userbod
    Options
    I joined the Vanquis ValueSaver scheme and ordered discounted shopping cards for Asda and Sainsbury. I have topped up once or twice but today when I went to the Valuesaver club card site (called RTS gift cards) it said "no products available". So I went to the Sainsbury site and found you can reload gift cards there but it is not clear if I would still get the discount. Can anyone give me any information on reloading gift cards and getting the 3% or 4% discount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure