PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Week 1 is now over and spends came to £48.27 / £160, with 5 NSDs.

Week 2 began today, me at Mr S and DH at market; total spends after using a £3 MOC came to £44.20 leaving a balance of £67.53 in the May budget. That’s a little less than I would have liked at this stage, but I reckon it will be OK as the freezer/fridge/cupboards are full again so shouldn’t need anything until next week.

We don’t generally overspend but I’m now re-thinking my shopping strategy to see if we can shop more cheaply and I’m sure there are things we can do. Will have to get my thinking cap on!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    My £18.14 from last week, along with the £7.29 from Tuesday, the £7.36 from yesterday, and ys shops today of £2.78, £1.57 and £9.17, I am now at £46.31/£100. Rats! Very careful planning needed from now on...

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spends of £5 yesterday, used cash and spent wisely! I will be coming under my £80 budget this month I am determined! off to jumble sale before seeing the grandchildren this morning, money for this is stash from selling my unwanted stuff on ebay, so am happy with that. first time ive ever spent £1 for entry into a jumble sale though!! xx
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    t14cy_t wrote: »
    spends of £5 yesterday, used cash and spent wisely! I will be coming under my £80 budget this month I am determined! off to jumble sale before seeing the grandchildren this morning, money for this is stash from selling my unwanted stuff on ebay, so am happy with that. first time ive ever spent £1 for entry into a jumble sale though!! xx

£1 for entry. That's a sign of the times. A bit worrying too, as normally those running them make enough from table rentals. Perhaps there are actually fewer tables nowadays as people prefer to sell on eBay. So effectively you are being charged to access less in the way of bargains
    I don't know if anyone on here has read Kath Kelly's book on living for a pound a day for a year. Great read.
    She got some great jumble sale bargains by going as people were shutting up shop and the sale about to close.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »

I am making DS and 2 sets of his grandparents (and me and his Dad;)) a proper birthday party tea on Sunday for his 7th birthday. The kind of party tea I had as a kid 40 years ago when Krispy Kreme parties and soft play didn't exist! :eek:

Apart from the usual sandwiches and sausage rolls I always remember having chocolate fingers and fairy cakes with icing and a sweet on top. And a big jug of orange squash to wash it down before jelly and ice cream. Anyone else remember what else you had at a party tea back in the 70s?

All of the spends today are for the party (except the bread and foil which are everyday stuff).

I remember my mum used to get an orang cut it in half and wrap in tinfoil. Then she put t cut side down on a plate and stuck coctail stick in it which had cubes of cheese, pineapple and ham on them. Also vol au vonts with egg mayo and tuna mayo in them. They seemed so decadent at the time :rotfl:
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    Quick post and will come back and read more later - I'm on £96.81 after only 1 week :eek: . I know what went wrong, took DD shopping with me last week and she bought some exotic items I didn't have on The List. (Yes, those blueberries are still in the fridge!)

AND DH was away so it should have been an economical week! Boo. Will try to get back on target this coming week. Making tomato soup for lunch today so that's a good start, from LO passata in fridge.
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone,
    Fond memories of my birthday parties in the 1970s - iced party ring biscuits abd iced gems were a must!

A biggish shop today of £41 so now at £71/£150 so a bit over for this point in the month. Did by coffee though as on SO which I don't need immediately and gallons of bleach and salt which are actually to clean my slabs. The rest of it was mainly fresh stuff as had run out of salady stuff for lunches.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi there, sorry I am late this month but can I please have a budget of £200 for the rest of the month. This is for 2 adults, three teenagers with hollow legs, a large dog and a cat. It is less than half of what I would normally spend but I realised last night that we are living far beyond our means and we have to start cutting back and the most obvious place to save money is on our grocery shopping.

I usually shop online at Tesco as we don't have a car so I will try my hardest to stick to the minimum amount which is £40. I am panicking a bit but I do have full cupboards and 2 freezers.

I have also just joined Slimming World but tend to cook from scratch anyway and I don't mind using frozen veg and fruit to save money. The snack drawer will be discontinued and if any of the teens want junk food they will have to spend their own money.
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. :)
    kscour wrote: »
    I buy my antihistamines in wilkinsons - can't remember how much they are exactly but I'm sure it's less than £2 for a months supply

There are 2 of us and we've tried a few. The Tesco ones are cheaper than the branded ones and it's convenient as that's where we go anyway. I know Asda do very cheap ones too.
    Cappella wrote: »
    Spendaholic I download free magazines on to my tablet from my local library. Does your library offer that service? It might be worth checking and it's not too hard to download the app. (I find technology a bit tricky sometimes as my grand nieces will confirm).

These are fishing and gardening magazines. We use the free seeds off the gardening magazine. I tried buying the gardening one for my Kindle once, and Mr Spendy keeps talking about getting e-versions of the fishing ones. But we still buy and like the actual magazines - plus I'm a journalist so buying mags helps pay other journos' wages. We can afford them, I just may need to budget separately for them.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    Options
    First shop of the month done £51.67. Having a BBQ tonight so a fair chunk spent on salad stuff but I will use that up during the week for lunches with stuff I have in the freezer such as prawns, chicken etc.

Quite pleased as I stuck mainly to my list with just a few add ons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure