Collective Investment vs Property as investment

Options
Hello all,

My wife inherited £300K around 2 years ago. We already have a Buy-To-Let, which
brings in an income of around £800 per month after maintenance/expenses. In the
interests of diversifying, we explored options other than BTL for investing the
inheritance with an FA, and ended up putting it into a Collective Investment
account that invests in a range of different investments, including unit trusts
and open-ended investment companies (OEICs). The risk level on the account portfolio is fairly low (3/10), mainly due to my wife's higher aversion to risk ;-)

Initially, we drew an income of £600 per month from the Collective Investment
account. However, after reviewing its performance after a year and a half, it
appears that the % growth after income drawdown and fees was not keeping up with
inflation. As such, we stopped taking an income from the account in order that
the inheritance is not eroded.

Recently, I came across this in The Telegraph online:
Historical data suggests that returns from the stock market are comparable with
house price rises, but this stacks up only if you reinvest dividend income from
shares...
There is no escaping the fact that, for 20 years or so, capital gains on the

average UK property have easily exceeded capital gains on shares when dividend
income has been taken.

As such, I'm thinking that we should ditch the Collective Investment and just get another Buy-To-Let! OK - there would be the risk of no diversification and lack of immediate access to the money
- but at least we'd get an income from the rent.

Can anyone persuade me that we'd be better off keeping the inheritance in the Collective Investment account?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

IR8

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The risk level on the account portfolio is fairly low (3/10), mainly due to my wife's higher aversion to risk ;-)

When you get that low down the risk profile, the returns are barely going to be better than cash savings.

Also, your wife needs a bit more "teaching" on risk. She is prepared to accept a buy to let which carries risks (potentially worse than a cautious conventional investment option). Yet wants to play it extremely low on investment risk (whilst increasing shortfall and inflation risk).
    Initially, we drew an income of £600 per month from the Collective Investment
    account. However, after reviewing its performance after a year and a half, it
    appears that the % growth after income drawdown and fees was not keeping up with
    inflation. As such, we stopped taking an income from the account in order that
    the inheritance is not eroded.

Yes. That was predictable. Its a consequence of not taking enough risk.
    Recently, I came across this in The Telegraph online:
    Historical data suggests that returns from the stock market are comparable with
    house price rises, but this stacks up only if you reinvest dividend income from
    shares...
    There is no escaping the fact that, for 20 years or so, capital gains on the
    average UK property have easily exceeded capital gains on shares when dividend
    income has been taken.

That statement needs a lot of context. Dividend income is a significant part of the return. So, if you leave it off, you are handicapping conventional investments.

It is also a short term window (in the scheme of things). For most other periods, equities have out performed property. You can always pick periods when one is better than the other. For example, equities have outperformed property since 2010.

You also need to look at what drives the gains. Nearly half the period covered by the Telegraph comment is within the credit boom. Virtually unregulated easy credit dished out at unsustainable levels. Its no wonder property prices boomed in that period.

However, lets look at post credit crunch and the issues. You have areas of the country now stagnating on property prices or even falling. Supply and demand is still favouring demand in most areas. However, easy credit has gone. So, that part of the upward pressure on prices has gone. Govt policy is to reduce the number of landlords and increase ownership. So landlords are being hit with increased taxation. That is likely to continue. Probably through capital gains tax and income tax (both of which are easily avoidable or at least reduced to a minimal level to begin with before eventually becoming avoidable on conventional investments) Landlords now have more requirements than in the past and that is likely to increase.

You mentioned liquidity risk and diversification risk. How is it that wife is willing to accept those but not investment risk?

Plus, there is no point comparing a risk 3 portfolio with either property or equities. Someone who considers themselves risk 3 is neither suited to equities or property.

Risk scales vary but on most 1-10 risk scales, 1 = cash, barely anything is in risk 2 nowadays and risk 3 is really taking limited risks with virtually no reward. If someone is insistent that they are risk 3 (i.e. they cant be eductated to understand why risk 3 is a bad idea) then I tend not to invest in anything risk based for them. Nearly always it leads to them cashing it in at the first sign of loss or it could lead to complaint. It just isnt worth it.

Your next step is to discuss this more with your wife and I would suggest involving the IFA.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A medium risk low cost diversified mixed asset fund would have around 60% equity and 40% bonds and should produce good returns over the long term. I certainly hope so as I have recently invested in that type of fund.

You should think about level of risk as the level of volatility. A lot of people think risky means the possibility of losing all or a significant amount of your capital. If you had a fund with say 100% equities, then that is likely to be quite volatile and could fall 50% in an equity crash. If you panicked and sold when the fund was that low you would lose the 50%. If you held on to the fund it is likely that it would bounce back. However most people including me would not like that level of volatity, but rather than being too risk averse, it would be better to go for a more balanced approach with some risk/volatility to give you a decent return.
  • unkle
    unkle Posts: 338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its the type of investment that is restricting you, you say your wife is adverse to risk, yet you have a BTL - the two don't equate.

Personally i'd stick where you are but take a greater risk, my S&S Isa is in a number of funds and the past 2 years has far out stripped house price increases (as has my pension, again in similar funds to the ISA).
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,622 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I saw this on BBC earlier, you might be surprised to see how property has performed -maybe not quite as good as you expect

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41684812

This quote was on another article:

House prices in more than half of neighbourhoods in England and Wales are still lower in real terms than a decade ago, BBC analysis has revealed

As above you really arent comparing like with like if you're prepared for the relatively high risk with BTL but then have other investments at low risk.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • irobot8
    irobot8 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your quick responses :-)

From what you're all saying, sounds like it would be best convincing my other half to accept a medium risk/volatility (5/6) on the Collective Investment portfolio, otherwise sticking where we are, and seeing if we can eventually gather enough confidence to start taking an income from it. Let me know if I got hold of the wrong end of the stick there!

To add a complication, although we have a BTL (which you all mention is high-risk and will always be targeted by Govt. for increased taxation), we are also renting ourselves.

So, maybe the best strategy is - in addition to upping risk on the Collective Investment - to sell the BTL and buy ourselves a place to live (there wouldn't be a mortgage involved, as we own the BTL outright). This would presumably help balance out the increased risk on the Collective Investment. However, that's assumes you're all suggesting that it's the BTL that's high-risk, as opposed to property ownership generally.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From what you're all saying, sounds like it would be best convincing my other half to accept a medium risk/volatility (5/6) on the Collective Investment portfolio, otherwise sticking where we are, and seeing if we can eventually gather enough confidence to start taking an income from it. Let me know if I got hold of the wrong end of the stick there!

More or less.

However, risk 3 is never going to satisfy you enough. You are taking on some risk, albeit low but its the reward is always going to be low. It will be an eternal disappointment in good periods and bad.

You should aim to get a notch or two up that risk scale.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP if you do choose the investment route, why not see if you can persuade her to invest a smaller proportion of the money in a vehicle higher up the risk scale on a trial basis and the rest at a risk level in keeping with her aversion.

There might be nothing quite as persuasive as empirical evidence.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What Dunstonh so very eloquently said, added to which I’ll make a couple of comments.

If you bought another BTL on the basis house prices always rose you’d be doing the classic of chasing after past performance, the time to buy it was when it last crashed in the late noughties, not now after 10 or so years worth of rises when it’s now stagnating.

If you do sell the BTL and buy a house, sell the BTL first, otherwise you’ll be liable to an extra 3% SDLT which you will not be able to reclaim despite popular myth being that you can.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    irobot8 wrote: »
    So, maybe the best strategy is - in addition to upping risk on the Collective Investment - to sell the BTL and buy ourselves a place to live (there wouldn't be a mortgage involved, as we own the BTL outright). This would presumably help balance out the increased risk on the Collective Investment. However, that's assumes you're all suggesting that it's the BTL that's high-risk, as opposed to property ownership generally.
    I agree that does look like the best strategy and less risky. It seems strange to me that you own a BTL outright yet you are renting yourselves.
  • Ainsley1
    Ainsley1 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    Yet again very wise words from Dunston, if I needed an IFA I could be happy with him!

All I would add is if you are into investing you have to consider it long term, ensure you follow the 'rules' regarding the things you should ensure are under control before you invest (debt, emergency fund, pension etc.) really understand risk in all it's aspects, know your goals etc.
    I would put own house purchase (again if a long term asset) well before investment but that is open to debate.

You seem convinced the BTL was a good idea for income and possibly long term gain(without fully considering the risks of potential tax implications) and I would ask, just to point out, have you taken all the costs into consideration that are real and unavoidable such as landlord checks, ensuring you meet regulations (fire alarms etc.), landlord insurance and the likely need to invest periodically through maintenance and refund/decorate when Tennant's change. You may have done so and if so you can then compare with other investments where little work by you or your wife is involved!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure