AirBNB hacking fraud

Options
Hi folks,

Thought I'd post a little warning as can't find anything about this on here.

A relative's AirBNB account was subject to a fraud yesterday, where scammers in China appear to have accessed his account perhaps by guessing password or by a data leak from a site where he used the same password.

The scammers then booked accommodation for several hundred pound (to a fake accommodation which presumably they owned), somehow backdated the booking to Saturday so that it couldn't be cancelled, so even though my relative had a notification email, by then it was too late to cancel. AirBNB allow bookings to go through on registered card without confirmation of any card details and without any TFA e.g. confirmation via an email address.

He's currently discussing with AirBNB who are saying they "will investigate", and the money has already left his account. His bank account won't do a thing about it and are saying to speak to AirBNB as his card wasn't compromised

So one to be aware of, and I've removed all my registered cards from AirBNB immediately as a result. Seems to be that AirBNB know about this issue based on some searching over the internet (it happened to another friend too) but are not taking it seriously, when a few security upgrades could easily resolve it; very poor show really...

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I agree, very poor show - however

matty_art wrote: »
    from a site where he used the same password..

Lessons to be learned here
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nothing wrong with using AirBnB but use a specific password.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So he didn!!!8217;t enquire about the accommodation himself at all?
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Would a credit card have been safer in this situation? Poor show from AirBNB if they know the hotel, they should be chasing them, but can't see it happening.
  • matty_art
    matty_art Posts: 219 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep don't reuse the same password, obviously a lesson but then again can everyone honestly say they have unique passwords for every single site they use?

Definitely worth having a unique AirBNB one though in hindsight.

I think a credit card might be safer as you could claim you didn't receive what you paid for I presume, although his bank has now managed to cancel the transaction after an argument to escalate it.

It wasn't on any property he'd enquiries about - I think the scam is

1) set up fake property
    2) hack account and pay for property, backdated so it cannot be cancelled. My relatives account had a registered card which was used, a work colleagues account had a registered card but the cost went over his credit limit so they used another stolen card instead.

My other friend also had a third step which was
    3) Claim that the property was damaged and raise claim against person "staying".

Then remove the property quickly and hope it wasn't noticed before monies come through and it's too late.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2018 at 3:06PM
    Options
    A friend Enquired about a property in a very desirable area.
    Were messaged back with way too much minutae -ages and names of her children etc( first alarm bell ringing for me)
    My friend sent his email etc and they replied ( possibly to his email-I did not go into it too deeply as it was obviously a scam)
    I think there was a fake link and she quoted a lower price than on the site- about £100 less per month.( second giveaway as all messages would be monitored by air bnb and it is s designed to make you hurry to get the bargain.
    He told them all along ( on my suggestion that he would not t be paying any money until he had seen it, but they did push a lot.
    I guess this is how they get people sucked in. My friend could easily have clicked on that fake link and I guess a lot of people do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure