PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help - Planning on making a stew on Saturday and haven't made one in over a year

Options
Help Please, not sure what to buy.

Fancy making a stew of mixed meats, please can you suggest best cuts to use as I want to keep the price down.

Also suggestions on veg to use I've only got as far as Onions, Carrots and Potatoes.

Thanks

Comments

• arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not try Irish Stew? There's a recipe I found and posted on the recipe board
    HERE

HTH!
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    I usually make mine with stewing steak - although not sure how this compares price wise to other cuts (Mrs B has to come clean and confess to only ever having made stew at mum's house using her shopping budget which is considerably larger than mine :D )

As for veggies, how about swede or parsnip? Suppose it depends on what sort of 'gravy' you're planning on using.

Hope this helps - it's the best I can come up with at this time of night!!

PS - Pork shoulder steaks are very cheap (at least they are in Costco) and taste delicious if slowly cooked - literally melt in the mouth. Yum.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Check out the old syle recipe board. There are loads of great receipes.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my family love chicken stew,I just cut up 2 chicken Breasts,swede,carrots,onion,potatoes,sweetcorn(tinned )turnips and I put in any veg that needs using up ,add stock and cook slowly.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi SuiDreams,

Have a look at this thread:

help me out im making a stew?

Pink
  • bluep
    bluep Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I buy a frozen leg of lamb (or half leg) from Asda/Tesco or wherever is doing the most money off it and use a HUGE saucepan, with lots of petersilie (I think that is parsley in english) and oregano and thyme. Its about the only time we get to eat lamb as its usually too expensive but this way, you get the taste and it goes a long way. I have heard of people buying "scrag end"? or neck from the butchers for the same purpose so you could ask your local butcher for cheap but good stewing lamb cuts.

Use whatever veg is cheap - carrots, onions, sweet potato, parsnip, swede, peas, leeks (don't forget, if you choose young little ones, you can chop up the green tops of the leeks that you usually throw away - chop these pretty small and they go in the stew too! - in Eastern Germany they would sell bundles of these bits for stews without the leek bit on the bottom!). Purl Barley (spelling?) is also great in here. Let it all stew for like a whole day, perhaps throw in a few suet dumplings and you have stew to reheat for the next couple of days plus enough to freeze in smaller portions for nights you can't be bothered to cook.
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't make a stew without putting a leek in! Yum! It gives a lovely gentle oniony taste and disintigrates into the stew so that the kids don't know they're eating it!!!
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SuiDreams wrote:
    Help Please, not sure what to buy.

Fancy making a stew of mixed meats, please can you suggest best cuts to use as I want to keep the price down.

Also suggestions on veg to use I've only got as far as Onions, Carrots and Potatoes.

Thanks

Firstly, you need cuts of meats suitable for slow cooking. "Prime" joints are intended to be roasted and the price reflects this. You should find that those suitable for slow cooking are much better priced. However, you will struggle to find these in the supermarkets .... no surprise there, as they get more money for the prime cuts. You need to find a decent butcher.

Intrigued that you are intending to do "mixed meats" ... are you sure, as the flavourings that are suitable for one meat e.g. beef, might not do much to enchance the flavour or pork or lamb, for example. I would really suggest that you stick to one type of meat.

Much of the French paysanne (or peasant) food that we Brits envy is based on thrifty cuts of meat suitable for slow cooking.

Thrifty cuts would include

Beef
    shin
    skirt
    brisket
    oxtail
    flank - forequarter or hindquarter
    short ribs
    chuck

Lamb
    Breast
    shanks (honestly! Restaurants charge a premium for this, but they're cheap!)
    shoulder (you may need to skim off excess fat)
    scrag end/neck (for Lancashire Hot Pot!)

Pork
    trotters (yummy)
    hock
    knuckle
    belly

And, of course, offal is generally thrifty, too :D

My big gripe about the supermarkets is that they sell "stewing steak" or "braising steak" and I have no idea what cut that is. So I don't know whether the price is right or not .. though I have a deep rooted suspicion that I'm paying over the odds (or I used to .. but I no longer buy meat in the supermarket).

As for veg .. go with what looks good and fresh. You can add shredded cabbage or kale at the end. For some dishes, and it depends on the meat, I would consider turnips, leeks, shallots, mushrooms, beetroot. Plenty of herbs & a bay leaf is a must. Wine will add depth. For beef, I would stir in a tablespoon of mustard to the final sauce. Fat will add flavour, but skim off any excess, blend with flour and return to the stew to thicken the sauce.

Remember to simmer, not boil..... you need a low oven and 4, 5 or 6 hours cooking. I usually find that making it the day before and then reheating slowly intensifies the flavour.

HTH
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks every one for you help Made stew with Shin of beef, it was absolutely delicous and there was loads lasted, Saturday tea, Sunday lunch and tea, plus some frozen for lunches during the week and another tub of it for when we don't feel like cooking.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    SuiDreams wrote:
    Made stew with Shin of beef

What a great result :D

It's not often you see people post with a specific cut of meat. Did you buy at a butcher or did you manage to find some in the supermarket - perish the thought ;)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure