Foolproof Christmas cookie recipe please

Options
I'm going to be baking with a bunch of kids this weekend and I'm looking for a cookie recipe I can mix up, put in the fridge before their arrival. It will have to withstand a bit of handling/playing with and I want the cookies to smell of Christmas. Any help appreciated, please.

Also would welcome ideas for a simple Christmas craft idea for afterwards. Ages 5-8 but with a helpful two year old and an all eating one year old to think about too.

Grandma memories in the making going on.

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    whitesatin wrote: »
    I'm going to be baking with a bunch of kids this weekend and I'm looking for a cookie recipe I can mix up, put in the fridge before their arrival. It will have to withstand a bit of handling/playing with and I want the cookies to smell of Christmas. Any help appreciated, please.

Also would welcome ideas for a simple Christmas craft idea for afterwards. Ages 5-8 but with a helpful two year old and an all eating one year old to think about too.

Grandma memories in the making going on.

I use the bbc good food standard sugar cookie recipe, and add cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Its worked for the last decade, and have people asking every year for them.

Salt dough is also really simple as a craft, and can be used for tree decs, keepsakes and even gifts - pinterest has loads of ideas of what you can make.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd go with good old sugar cookies too...

Roll the sheets out ready and either put in plastic bags or with double baking sheets between them and stack. That way the kids can cut the shapes out whilst they're still nearly frozen and they will bake better and all the fun will be in the decorating :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, the BBC recipe worked brilliantly, thanks. A great time was had by four out of the five grandchildren. The littlest one has just turned one so not quite up for it this Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure