Scammed by Entitlements Agency

Options
12345679»

Comments

• mben
    Options
    I was scammed by the tax rebate or repayment agency (they use both names) on my tax refund . I was due 1673, they sent me back 871 pounds, they took 40% excluding vat which amounrs to 806 pounds. The guys name is david brennan a young cocky financier who hasnt filled any earnings for his company since its start in 2014. HMRC hasnt done anything to help with this sad and very detrimental situation (i am jobless and was relying on the money to pay my rent) , in fact despite many complaints HMRC protected him and his interests. He has since removed from his website the sentence "claim your taxe refund from HMRC" leading me to think it was a govrnemental agency !!!! I even emailed consumer rights who explained they can not represent me since i asked for the cancelation of the contract before the end of one month (you are allowed 90 days to cancel a service contract if unhappy with how they are dealing with your requests) . I EVEN FILLED AN ONLINE POLICE REPORT FOR FRAUD. Not only mr david brennan didnt explain such high commission, he even showed off that he put the date wrong wrong on the contract (19th april instead of august) and he is not backing off nor recognising it was abuse of my good faith. The mail can track when i received their claim form and when it was sent back. But guess what mr david brennan is now 800 richer in a country that allows him to mislead people enrish himself and not pay his taxes and GET AWAY WITH IT
  • elosarabrab
    Options
    Hi, I very stupidly signed up to this company in August 2017 for a rebate on uniforms for work. I only ever signed electronically not a physical form with my actual signature. I was not sent forms in the post and don't have a copy of the agreement/ contract. Recently my husbands wage details changed so he filled out details direct with HMRC in relation to our married tax allowance. This meant I got sent a rebate. Soon after I got an email from tax returned stating as they were the agents working on my behalf they wanted their payment for work they did. i wrote back to them as they did not do any work in securing this rebate they were not due any payment from me.
    I had a letter from HMRC "A repayment was issued to you in error, at the time of issue there was a legally binding deed of assignment in place in favour of Tax Returned Ltd and as such the payment should have been made to them. A deed of assignment can only be withdrawn if you and the person to whom you assigned the deed both agree in writing."
    Am I right in thinking the company can only "act as my agent" up to 2016 and not consider it a rolling contract for future years?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Am I right in thinking the company can only "act as my agent" up to 2016 and not consider it a rolling contract for future years?
    No you cannot make that assumption

as far as HMRC is concerned, you have an agent and the agent is the person they should send all, and any, future refunds to until such time as you directly inform HMRC that the company is no longer your agent.

it is vital that you find out what the terms of the contract you have with the company are, since there must be something in it explaining how you can terminate it.

Don't just assume you can walk away cleanly from the company, they may have some sort of tie in period in the contract, so telling HMRC not to deal with them again may leave you open to being in breach of contract with the company if you have not terminated that contract in accordance with its terms.
  • laticsforlife
    Options
    Although if you complete a form 64-8 with a new agent, HMRC will process this and change it on the system - the old agent is not notified of this change as far as I know. So scammer.co.uk will never know you have moved to a reputable Agent.

If you aren't having an official accountant, then perhaps use your 'other half' if you have one.
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing! ;)
    Quidco and Topcashback, £4,569
    Shopandscan, £2,840
    Tesco Double The Difference, £2,700
    Thomson EU261/04 Claim, £1,700
    British Airways EU261/04 Claim, EUR1200
  • Porchia
    Options
    Well they took 40% from me. I was with an agency whom I left, and stupidly signed forms thinking it’s a contract to sign up for work. In between a form to do with taxrebate.co.uk. Two years after although not working for the agency they sent off my form to these people out of spite because I had previously made a complaint about the manager. Blue Arrow. They had no right to have sent it off. I was shocked and angry, tried everything to stop it but failed. Before then I had never heard of these people. They are cons and don’t advertise correctly and fool people in believing their the real deal. Here is the official tax office number. Don’t be fool by taxrebate.co.uk 0300 200 3300.

The tax office say they don’t send emails or text messages out so beware when if you get anything similar, ignore and delete.. Don’t fill in any forms online or accept anything from #taxrebate.co.uk# They have no number advertised. I only got there number from the official tax people. AVOID TAXREBATE.CO.UK like the plaque.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Porchia wrote: »
    I only got there number from the official tax people.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by that?
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 February 2018 at 12:53AM
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    No you cannot make that assumption

as far as HMRC is concerned, you have an agent and the agent is the person they should send all, and any, future refunds to until such time as you directly inform HMRC that the company is no longer your agent.

it is vital that you find out what the terms of the contract you have with the company are, since there must be something in it explaining how you can terminate it.

Don't just assume you can walk away cleanly from the company, they may have some sort of tie in period in the contract, so telling HMRC not to deal with them again may leave you open to being in breach of contract with the company if you have not terminated that contract in accordance with its terms.

That isnt correct.

It needs to be made clear that Authority to act on a persons behalf, and a Deed of Assignment are 2 very different things.

Authority to act on a persons behalf DOES NOT imply there is an authority to receive a repayment.

In fact, if all that exists is an Authority to act on someones behalf, then a repayment would always be issued to the taxpayer, unless a valid, signed nomination or Deed for the year in question has also been received prior to the refund being issued.

Deeds of Assignment and Nominations CAN NOT roll on to future years.

Both are limited to only receive repayments of tax for valid year, where the tax is deemed to have already been paid.

That means that Deeds and nominations are only valid for tax refunds issued for previous (already ended) tax years, and then are limited to the last 4 years.

Deeds and nominations CAN NOT be submitted for future years.

The current tax year is considered in most cases to be a future year. This is because tax is not deemed to have been paid until the tax year ends.

The only exemptions to this are:

In-year repayments following the death of a taxpayer, at the tax is deemed as paid from the date of death.

In year repayments where the taxpayer has declared they will not receive any further taxable income in the tax year.

In respect of Deeds of Assignment and Nominations, they will only apply to the years indicated on the Deed/Nomination. They must be signed and valid. Deeds have to conform to specific wording and be set out in specific formats.

With regards to Authority given to a 3rd party to deal with your tax affairs, this can be rescinded at any time by the taxpayer, as can the authority to repay to a Nominee which has been given on a simple/bare Nomination only, but this is not the case with a Deed.

Nominations are also only valid at HMRC's discretion. If they have reason to believe a Nomination is invalid, fake, etc, etc or if the taxpayer requests, then it can be ignored.

This however is not the case with a Deed of Assignment.

Once a Deed of Assignment is signed it can only be rescinded by agreement of the Assignee (the person/company authorised to receive the payment) and the Assignor (in these cases the taxpayer).

Without that agreement the refund LEGALLY belongs to the Assignee.

As a bit of background to this issue. The reason why there has been such a huge increase in the use of Deeds of Assignment is because, when these companies used to submit claims on behalf of taxpayers, with a signed nomination to receive the refund, taxpayers would call to rescind the nomination, or HMRC would issue the refund direct to the customer for various reasons, meaning the company would not receive the payment, and in turn may lose out on their 'fee'.

Therefore they started to submit Deeds of Assignments which guarantee them the refund where one is due.

They then should deduct their fee (+vat and other charges if notified in their terms and conditions), and send any residual money (if any) to the taxpayer.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is time these companies were closed down and stopped from taking advantage of normal taxpayers. Yet again a failure of financial education.
  • Sarah_Van_Parys
    Options
    Hi,

Long story short, I stupidly signed a Deed of Entitlement form from this company thinking it was just for a uniform tax rebate, for 2014-2018, and a separate form for 2018-2019. HMRC have recieved the 2014-2018 form but haven't yet received the 18/19 form. They have issued the refund directly to me before they have received the 18/19 deed.

Basically I'm owed around £500 from 18/19 on top of any uniform tax rebate, which they are going to take a huge chunk out of - I totally mis-red the form so my own fault but the wording is so confusing and really mis-leading. Will they still be entitled to their fee from the £500 even though HMRC have issued the refund to me directly? Or as this refund has already been issued to me from HMRC, will they just be entitled to their fee from the uniform tax rebate from 18/19 only?

Any help would be gratefully received :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure