Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

where to donate larger items and children's toys?

Options
littlerock
littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
My grandchildren have now outgrown the need for a high chair and stair-gate and I wanted to donate these (which I bought for them to use at my house) to a charity shop along with some of their early toys. They only visit occasionally as I mostly go over to them so the items are all in good condition. The local charity shops don't want them - seems they only take smaller items and no children's toys or videos as "there is no demand" according to one large local charity shop.

I am happy to drop them off and hoped to do someone a good turn. Any ideas who might take them?

Comments

• longforgotten
    longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps phone your local church to find if they know anyone in need. Would your local hospital take them off your hands for the childrens ward.........

Any local bring and buys /fete's in your area that may need items to sell ?

I know it's difficult with some items. I was all set to give away some items to the Womens Aid and they said no they didn't help women with items to set up a new home! Seemed strange to me , but I'll find a home for an unwanted ironing board if it kills me :)
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I have put items on gumtree for free and usually gone within an hour.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Put them on Freecycle.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Also discovered there is a book bank run by Better World Books which recycles used books and gives sone of its profits to 3rd world charities, at my local dump.
  • Mayflower10cat
    Mayflower10cat Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    We have a local womens refuge that usually needs items for children/babies. The items to be donated are left with an 'area co-ordinator' to keep the location secret. I can't remember how I found out about this - one of my friends used to collect for them so it must have been word of mouth. Try contacting 'Womens Aid' or even your local Council.
  • fraserbooks
    fraserbooks Posts: 342 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2017 at 8:03PM
    Options
    I help at our local Clic charity shop and trading standards locally will not let us sell second hand child safety equipment like car seats and cycle helmets in case it is faulty but we can and do accept and sell a lot of children's toys. Soft toys need a CE Mark to be sold for children. some people buy them for themselves or their dogs. It always surprises me when charities for children do not accept toys.

We find there is no demand for videos and as they can not be recycled and we pay business rates for rubbish collections it costs us money to dispose of them.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Local playgroup. Wife took our little ones garden toys over to the local one and the kids eyes light up. They were looked after and in excellent condition.

They dont take soft toys though. Worth asking.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wonder about using Nextdoor.co.uk
    Maybe someone in your area would like the items?
    Free advert in local paper (if you have a local paper / free ads!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    another idea is to advertise on notice boards in local supermarket- Wilkinson's here have a board. You might try to sell for a small amount and say that the money will be donated to a charity
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure