PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lost job shortly before exchange

Options

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Guest - I have spoken to all 4 agents in the new area, there is nothing coming on the market. - Really and how do the agents know the plans of every single tenant in the area?! What a load of cobblers. Occasionally people post their properties on Gumtree or similar, I am always checking, but they are taken very quickly.

Yes 40 days is the optimum, the reality is different. I have already taken advice on this, in our borough there is no hope, and you are required to have a certain length of unbroken residence in a borough before you can apply for help with housing (so moving to another borough is not an option) You must also not make yourself 'intentionally homeless' ie by giving notice or getting into arrears (ie. you muse be evicted) to be eligible.

Thank you for that insight, unfortunately you missed out a crucial bit about social housing, which is 'or have links to the area' which includes work, family and school. - all of which you would meet in your new area.

I had actually given up on this thread, as you clearly are dead set on this. But the comment on agents and nothing coming onto the market was too much.

I feel I need to start 'AgentAid' to help these poor souls who cant charge £200 referencing per tenant to actually make their business profitable.
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am confused , if you can easily afford all outgoings on your PT wage , why cant you speak to your broker about legally proceeding based on your income?
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • Brock_and_Roll
    Brock_and_Roll Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    You have 28% deposit saved up, pretty sure that covers any renting problems.

Look you do whatever you want, I'm not coming round to arrest you. However, it is a crime and frankly it's shocking that anyone would condone it.

Fraud: A person who is guilty of fraud is liable—
    (a)on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum (or to both);
    (b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or to a fine (or to both).

The above is absolutely true, and whilst I am most definitely not condoning this, I can tell you as a banker, that in the highly unlikely event that the lender discovered this between exchange and completion they would cancel the mortgage offer and that would be the end of the matter.

The borrower would offer up the excuse that they "forgot" to let the bank know in all the stress etc or that they "did not know they had to tell the bank" and to be honest as the bank is not out of pocket, they would not be bothered to take any further action due to all the costs, hassle etc.

IF however the OP subsequently defaulted and the bank found out about the fraud, then they would most definitely purse all legal avenues civil and legal.
  • mortgagepanic
    Options
    Guest - the information above was actually regarding the London borough we live in now - ie. we have looked into all possible ways of staying where we are.

Regarding the new area, yes we have local ties so we would be eligible for help there. There is, however, a long waiting list, years rather than months.

I can't comment any more on the rental situation, if none of the agents currently have anything on their books how can they say otherwise? I check online daily, I've rung them. Of course properties do come up, and will again. But they go quickly, and we can't get there in time to beat any local people who want to take them. Again, I'm not saying it is impossible, but we need to leave here quite urgently so at this moment, today, it's not an option.
  • mortgagepanic
    Options
    Brock thanks for your input.
    I guess that probably is what I want to hear, but I am still taking all the responses on board. I haven't 100% made my mind up
  • fashionvictim
    Options

fashionvictim - no, the new job is significantly lower paid, sadly, and the mortgage offer is on his earnings alone. Our deposit is quite good, 72% LTV

So new job is in new area?

Your partner has lost his job through redundancy, even if they don't have 2 years service you can potentially get some more money to come to a settlement. I did this and basically ask for what you want ie an extra months salary etc, not to pay back holiday. They can only say no, if you don't ask, you don't get. For me they said yes to some extra pay and they have to pay for the settlement legal advice too.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    So new job is in new area?

Your partner has lost his job through redundancy, even if they don't have 2 years service you can potentially get some more money to come to a settlement. - really? I don't know any employers who would voluntarily pay money to a sacked employee. I did this and basically ask for what you want ie an extra months salary etc, not to pay back holiday. They can only say no, if you don't ask, you don't get. For me they said yes to some extra pay and they have to pay for the settlement legal advice too.

I'm not sure if your employer was stupid or what, but if under 2 years service the employer can terminate the employment for any, non protected, reason.

For example: "Due to business needs"
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My earnings aren't regular/predictable, it's also a new company,

Another risk factor to consider. Mortgages are 20 plus year commitments. Affordability isn't just about today or next month. But the next 300 months. That's why lenders are now tightly regulated. To avoid borrowers walking a tight rope wire of financial instability indefinately.
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brock thanks for your input.
    I guess that probably is what I want to hear, but I am still taking all the responses on board. I haven't 100% made my mind up

Personally I believe you made your decision even before you posted on here. You just want people to agree with you.
    I totally understand that you want this property as you believe its best for your family but I would be more worried about loosing the family home due to missed payments and also the lender finding out about the lack of job.
    If I were in your shoes I would seriously consider backing out of this property, you can then get your jobs sorted. You won't loose the deposit as i'm guessing the person lending it to you will still lend it in a few months.

Hope you manage to sort it as I can imagine you are very stressed out.
  • Winter_Phoenix
    Options
    I am absolutely against any form of fraud.

However, you say that your partner has informed the mortgage company that he will be giving up his job in your current location, and getting a new job in your new location.

Clearly this 'giving up' has been (unexpectedly) involuntary, and has happened a few weeks before it was planned. But apart from that, it seems to be exactly what you have already told the mortgage company will happen.

So I really don't think this could possibly be classified as fraud?
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family