Price wrongly

Options
I have just been to Morrisons and bought some frozen king prawns priced £3 luckily I checked my receipt and I had been charged £5 for them, I looked again at the shelf where I got them from and there was a price ticket for £3 but on reading the price ticket it was not for the king prawns that I had bought but some other prawns even though there wasn't any of the £3 prawns on the shelf only the £5 prawns.

So all in all it seems they have been stacked wrongly and the price hadn't been replaced by the right price.

My question is would Morrisons be obliged to give them to me at the price shown £3 or is it ok to just say they have been put in the wrong place they are still £5.

The reason I am mostly annoyed is the attitude of the person I spoke but that's another story.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even if it was a misprice, which it isn't, there is no obligation to offer the lower price. As it is, you failed to read the labels correctly and picked up the wrong thing by mistake. That's down to you so no they won't give the lower price.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it’s a genuine shelf edge label been put in the wrong place I’d have taken a photo and rung customer services.
    If it’s a matter that the other prawns were sold out and you’ve assumed, I’d do nothing.
    My few experiences with Morrison’s customer service have been very poor.
  • 4suzie
    4suzie Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your advice I will have to be more careful next time, if it looks to be a bargain I will double check.
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    4suzie wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice I will have to be more careful next time, if it looks to be a bargain I will double check.

In my experience Morrisons often make mistakes with positioning of their price label / position of the reduced item.
    I have often found the reduced item is either below or above the price labels.

When this happens to me I take it back to the customer service counter and tell them I have picked them by mistake, have always had a refund.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In Morrisons, in fact in all supermarkets, I always check my receipt before I leave the store. It’s surprising how many errors I find. Sometimes my own fault when, like you, I have picked up the wrong item but not always.

I then go to customer services to get the error rectified. In your case I would have returned the item and got a refund.

It takes very little time to check the receipt but definitely worth doing.
  • Vikipollard
    Options
    Supermarkets are renowned for doing this; deliberately placing a similar item to the one which is on offer on the shelf, and relying on customers to not notice or just suck up the price difference. It's often the same name of product, but a different size to the offer one.

Usually there is a space on the shelf where the actual item should be. They aren't technically doing anything wrong. Morally, however....

Clearly I have been caught by this myself. But only once. I now look at EVERY detail of the "offer" and the product which appears to be nearby to be sure they are one and the same.
    LBM July 2006. Debt free 01 Sept 12 .. :T
    Finally joined Slimming World: weight loss 33lbs...target achieved 51wks later 06.05.13 & still there :j
    Aim to be mortgage free in 2022. Jan 17 33250 Nov 17 27066 Mar 18 24498 Sep 18 20608 Nov 18 19250 Jan 19 17980 Mar 19 16455 May 19 15024 Nov 19 10488 Feb 20 8150 May 20 5783 Aug 20. 3305 Nov 20 859 Mortgage free, 02.12.2020
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Supermarkets are renowned for doing this; deliberately placing a similar item to the one which is on offer on the shelf, and relying on customers to not notice or just suck up the price difference. It's often the same name of product, but a different size to the offer one.

Usually there is a space on the shelf where the actual item should be. They aren't technically doing anything wrong. Morally, however....

Clearly I have been caught by this myself. But only once. I now look at EVERY detail of the "offer" and the product which appears to be nearby to be sure they are one and the same.

Why would they "deliberately" do this - to annoy their customers? I suspect that it's actually the shelf-stackers being human beings and occasionnaly making the odd error.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Why would they "deliberately" do this - to annoy their customers? I suspect that it's actually the shelf-stackers being human beings and occasionnaly making the odd error.

And customers picking up things then putting them back in the wrong place when they see something similar on offer!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Its not purpose though, mistakes are made. Imo majority of the time its just down to human error, a ticket was missed out or wrong ticket was swapped for a slightly identical item.

The time the member of staff has to change the tickets possibly doesn't help as they have a lost of other jobs to do.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    4suzie wrote: »
    I have just been to Morrisons and bought some frozen king prawns priced £3 luckily I checked my receipt and I had been charged £5 for them, I looked again at the shelf where I got them from and there was a price ticket for £3 but on reading the price ticket it was not for the king prawns that I had bought but some other prawns even though there wasn't any of the £3 prawns on the shelf only the £5 prawns.

Sainsbury’s have been doing this sort of thing for YEARS. I’m told they also like putting yellow stickers on the front of the item but NOT over the barcode. Wonder how many people have paid full price for a YS item!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure