DRO question

Options
i am thinking about a DRO as cannot work as carer for my husband who is disabled after a stroke, only income is benefits but all are paid to me as my husband is not able to fill in forms etc. so income support is paid to me but obviously is meant to be shared! his income is DLA but that is spent on his personal care needs, how would we show this on application and also some bills like water, gas etc. are quite high because heating is on a lot to keep him warm and i do about 2 loads of washing a day if he is bad as bladder control weak, how do i prove this? i am sorry for all questions!!

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Specialkay60,

Don't worry about proving these expenses, it is understandable when there are health issues that some expenses (like heating, water, washing etc) can be higher. When we assess people for a DRO we will go through a budget and how to divide expenses from shared income, you don't need to worry about that either (it is part of what we do).

The best thing to do is give one of the free debt advice charities a call and they will go through an assessment with you and if you qualify then they can send you an application pack and explain the process from their. Here is a list of the organisations that are able to help with DRO's - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/getting-a-debt-relief-order/getting-a-debt-relief-order#find-a-debt-adviser

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure