Kitchen installation - quote on the high side?

Options
breaking_free
breaking_free Posts: 762 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 14 March 2017 at 6:24PM in Is this quote fair?
What would a reasonable quote be for the following (installation only - electrics, tiling floor, etc are separate quotes plus I'm doing all the making good myself):

The quote is for a Howden's kitchen installation, so all units are pre-assembled.

Existing units have already been ripped out so the fitter is starting with a completely clean slate.
Kitchen is 3.60m x 3.17m.
Units to be fitted on the floor are 3 double base units, drawer unit and 4 single base units.
On the walls are 1 single unit and two double units.

The fitter needs to:
- box in the boiler pipes
- install a double sink
- reconnect the washing machine
- fit the worktops, plinths, and cornices
- install the electric oven and put up a splashback
- install the extractor and vent it outside (requires bashing a hole through the wall)
- install a gas hob (so a gas certified tradie will be called in during the job, included in price)

One chap is doing the whole fitting job and reckons it will take 5 days. His boss has quoted 'around £2000'. That's £400 per day (including the gas safe certified work).
Seems steep to me, but I've never had a kitchen fitted before.

Thoughts?
"The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Comments

• cddc
    cddc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    May need to bring other electrics up to part p levels as well.

Not a bargain, but not outrageous either, would be my initial general view. Depends where you live, as labour costs vary hugely across the country.

I would get at least one more quote though.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get a joiner to do it. Seriously... forget 'kitchen fitter'.

My joiner did our kitchen in 3 days. That's something like 12-14 units, built in this and that, build a full bulkhead around the top of the units, also removed and boarded up a doorway. This was one man on his own. He then spent a day doing flooring afterwards.

I expect you can get the job done properly for £1k if you find a local joiner who does kitchen fits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure