Plaster repair - replastered room

Options
What is the best way to deal with a recently replastered room (ie kitchen) if one subsequently takes off some tiles that were there prior to the replastering.

The tiles are now off and there is a sort of "ledge" where the plaster underneath the tiles doesnt come out to same thickness as the new plaster on rest of wall.

How to do this - without there being any join being visible between the replastered section and the section of wall that was formerly covered by tiles?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get someone in who knows what they are doing. Simple for a pro, 99% chance of looking like a dogs dinner DIY ;)
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with molerat; plastering as a DIY'er is generally pants. Not worth the effort or the mess. That's unless you are retiling... Then, you can cover up the mess! Just make sure you use one row ore tiles, or slightly larger tiles, to cover the bodge.
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Get someone in who knows what they are doing. Simple for a pro, 99% chance of looking like a dogs dinner DIY ;)

that's not fair... There is MUCH less than a 1% chance of it looking good DIY!
  • TRB
    TRB Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    As a plasterer I do agree with the others but what you have should be fairly simple to do. Just get some easy fill feather it out and sand down.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Agree with molerat; plastering as a DIY'er is generally pants. Not worth the effort or the mess. That's unless you are retiling... Then, you can cover up the mess! Just make sure you use one row ore tiles, or slightly larger tiles, to cover the bodge.

Right now - I'm wondering whether the best way to deal with this is a variant on this.

Instead of kitchen tiles - I'm now having Silestone upstands at the back edge of the Silestone kitchen worksurfaces and am wondering whether to continue them on up further than I planned - in order for them to go over the top edge of where the tiles were. Agh - more cost!

On the other hand I'm being told a workman that isnt specifically a plasterer could fill in with a bit of plaster patching and then professional decorator would paint over it and I wouldnt know any different. But that wasnt accompanied by any guarantees I wouldnt see the "join". These would be workmen - and not downright amateur me. I certainly wouldnt trust myself to even attempt this (I know my limitations..). But I question whether anyone else (if they arent actually a plasterer by trade) could make a nice smooth even etc finish.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, a good workman could... he wouldn't have to be a plasterer, but he'd have to know what he was doing. Problem is, you won't know until he's done it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure