Best place to put our money

Options
I have a bond expireing in sept it was a good rate ........where now is the best place I need it safe as we are pensioners......it's £30.000. Thanks in advance for a dive. Ann

Comments

• BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would love to say by bank account ha ha I am sure that a financial wizz will be along any minute to let you know which banks are offering the best rates.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    adminannie wrote: »
    I need it safe as we are pensioners
    That's actually a non sequitur - since you are pensioners, you have a guaranteed income, and can therefore afford to take a small risk with your bond money, maybe investing it for income. I certainly am. Monevator has lots of suggestions about investing for income.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't think the rates will be as good as you've been getting on your fixed rate savings bond that matures in September but the link below shows some of the best fixed rate bonds available:

http://moneyfacts.co.uk/savings/fixed-rate-bonds/
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a bond expireing in sept it was a good rate ........where now is the best place I need it safe as we are pensioners......it's £30.000. Thanks in advance for a dive. Ann

What's most important? A good and rising income or fixed capital?

Some investment trusts have increased their dividends for over 40 years and pay between 3-4% pa. The capital value on any particular day will vary but if income is your priority then the capital value will be irrelevant if the income is still being paid.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    that is what I will be doing with a lot of mine, when I am a pensioner.
  • FatherAbraham
    FatherAbraham Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a bond expireing in sept it was a good rate ........where now is the best place I need it safe as we are pensioners......it's £30.000.

Have you considered an annuity? You could give up all your capital in return for a safe, guaranteed, income payment for the rest of your life.

Warmest regards,
    FA
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think either a mixture of income funds or a mixture of UK income shares are good options.

Some income funds pay income as regular as monthly. Many income funds, investment trusts and income stocks pay dividends quarterly.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • FatherAbraham
    FatherAbraham Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    george4064 wrote: »
    I think either a mixture of income funds or a mixture of UK income shares are good options.

Some income funds pay income as regular as monthly. Many income funds, investment trusts and income stocks pay dividends quarterly.

How does this suggestion meet the original poster's desire for safety?

Warmest regards,
    FA
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As explained earlier, they may not understand safety. As there is a very big difference between investment risk, and inflation risk re cash/investments.

And investment in income bearing vehicles where there is no need to either spend capital or have a certain % inheritable, then income of 3-4% could be a viable option for lower risk people.

hence why all sorts of questions asked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport