NS&I Index-linked Savings Certificates vs age 65+ bonds

Options
Index-linked Savings Certificates vs new age 65+ bonds -
don't know where to start.....................
Would it be crazy to cash in 5 year index-linked tax free Savings Certificates bought in May/June 2011 so as to invest that cash in 20% taxable 65+ bonds at 4%?

Comments

• Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ..yes........
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • trickydicky14
    Options
    Hi, my mother-in-law wants to purchase £20,000 worth of the new pensioner bond in January being over 80years old she is a bit 'old school' and only has a cheque book and a debit card and no online banking, as this offer could go quickly I think a cheque could take too long to sort out so my question is, ' could she put £20,000 on a debit card or would her bank put the breaks on. Could she just go in and let them know what she intends to do? And does anybody know the actual date the bonds go on sale.
    Thanks.
    I choose the rooms that I live in with care,
    The windows are small and the walls almost bare,
    There's only one bed and there's only one prayer;
    I listen all night for your step on the stair.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The date for bond availability has not been announced yet. Watch the NS&I site for announcements. Applications can be made over the phone and payments can be made by debit card. Banks won't have any problem paying 2 x £10K on debit cards but it might be worth telling them beforehand.

What is your MIL's objective for her money - just growing the capital, or getting an income? These bonds might not be the best option for her if she is after income. Where is the money now?
  • trickydicky14
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    The date for bond availability has not been announced yet. Watch the NS&I site for announcements. Applications can be made over the phone and payments can be made by debit card. Banks won't have any problem paying 2 x £10K on debit cards but it might be worth telling them beforehand.

What is your MIL's objective for her money - just growing the capital, or getting an income? These bonds might not be the best option for her if she is after income. Where is the money now?
    Thanks Archi,

MIL has money in s&s that no one new about up to £50K we are currently doing our best to see if what she has is appropriate for a lady of 80years (risk wise) she does not understand it at all when you talk to her.
    She also has cash in bank about the same amount with interest rate of about sod all.
    She is hard work and is reluctant to do any thing to improve her situation and make her cash work.
    We are getting her to set up a 123 a/c with Santander to sort out £20,000 but she wont get involved with setting up lots of high interest bank a/c so the bond option would be an easy way of sorting another £20K. She owns her own house and is not short of a few bob but has little understanding of looking after her money.
    I choose the rooms that I live in with care,
    The windows are small and the walls almost bare,
    There's only one bed and there's only one prayer;
    I listen all night for your step on the stair.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure