EA 189 Nox - Seat

Options
zacepi
zacepi Posts: 53 Forumite
I have a 7 year old Seat with a 1.5L Diesel engine.

Just had the letter regarding getting the EA 189 service done.
Have done some googling and seen some horror stories about dead engines.

The question is - does this give me any benefit at all?

It's an arseache to get to a dealer for me, so a wasted morning or afternoon in all. I intend to keep the car until it becomes uneconomic, it just runs around town now having had a hard life. It will possibly be used as a trade-in one day - would a dealer refuse to take it without this "fix"?

thanks in advance

Z

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't bother, there's nothing to gain. Up to you really.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it ain't broke........

Documentary about the diesel gate fix on radio 4 last night. Nothing but horror stories. I know an Audi technician and he's not getting his car done.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08x9ckv
  • zacepi
    zacepi Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Well that's 3 people including me who don't see the point.

How about this for a coincidence? I had a letter in May which prompted my OP today. Within 20 mins of posting it, I got another letter from Seat nagging me. Obviously the take up isn't going as well as they hoped because the original letter only mentioned taking it to a dealer. The one today says

At a time and place to suit you

The AA will come to your house and apply the fix. And you get a certificate. Woop. Smacks of desperation. I think me and my unlawful emissions will have to carry on unfixed. Sorry to the environment and all that.....

Z
  • khcomp
    khcomp Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    There was a discussion about this on radio 4 today: I'm a bid cheesed off about this 'scandal' - people are under the impression that a 'device' of some sort was fitted to VAG vehicles to 'cheat' the emissions test. In reality, it's just a different firmware stored in the ECU on road cars. If you're happy with the car, don't bother with the 'fix'. The general consensus seems to be that performance, economy & reliability all suffer after the fix is applied... Effectively, your car's software is better than the newer version because in certain circumstances it can make the car more efficient, so the newer software, to all intents and purposes, is actually a downgrade.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    the newer software, to all intents and purposes, is actually a downgrade
    If this is the VW software "defeat", my understanding is that :
    a) VW made it behave differently during a ( recognised ) emissions test, so it would meet the standard
    b) It had to be different only then, because always behaving that way would lose : performance, economy, and reliability
    c)The software "fix" is to make it always meet the standard ; thus causing the issues of (b). It might be a little better than the original software, but if it was easy to make it just as good all the time, VW would have done that in the first place. Most other companies need AdBlue.

I thought that compensation had been discussed ; and if that is based on suffering (b), then I would have thought it should only be paid, once (b) is suffered.
    Perhaps at some point the "fix" will become mandatory to pass the MOT. It is probably mandatory if a dealer sells it on ; but if the AA will do it for free, they shouldn't care very much about having to arrange that.

I'm betting you'll keep getting letters, because the government is pressing them on numbers ; and if you put it in a dealer for any work, it will get done. Drive too slowly past a dealership, and someone will come running out with an electronic box to try to do it.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    hollie.weimeraner Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2017 at 8:10AM
    Options
    If you watched Watchdog last night it would definitely put you off having it done. There is no benefit to the car owner but there are plenty of people that end up with issues afterwards with some vehicles deciding to go into limp mode. Some people were travelling at 70 on motorways at the time:eek: and other pretty dangerous scenarios.

The update seems to cause a problem with the EGR valve in some cases.
  • kiddy_guy
    kiddy_guy Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DO NOT HAVE THIS UPDATE DONE!

Hope that's clear :) The update has seen thousands of owners experience reduced MPG, lower torque, EGR valve failures (multiple times) and cars going into limp mode all the time. The car runs more regens more often and people's cars sound like tractors. Do you want to be driving along at 70 in the outside lane and suddenly your car goes into limp mode and rapidly deccelerates to 20mph?

The CEO of VW has been accused by the Parliamentary select committee of lying to them about the fix.

If anyone has any doubt whether to have the fix I'd just ask:

1) Does your car run fine now?
    2) Do you trust a company that has lied to billions of people already and has been forced to buy back cars in America
    3) Do you believe VW can apply a fix that will do absolutely nothing whilst satisfying the UK govt - if so why didnt they do this to begin with

The begging letters from VW to have the fix are up to 6 now - seems desperate. They even have the DVSA logo on to make you think you have to have it - IT IS AN OPTIONAL FIX. IT IS NOT MANDATORY . If VW don't get enough fixes done then they will be fined by the government so all they want is to get cars fixed!

If you are still doubting, please go and check out the Volkswagen diesel customer forum on Facebook and see the misery that the fix has brought to people.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Perhaps at some point the "fix" will become mandatory to pass the MOT.

It has nothing to do with the MOT as the vehicle would have passed the emissions test without the fix anyway (and in the case of the OP he has already passed either 4 or 5 MOT's).

No vehicle will fail an MOT because it hasn't had a manufacturers recall. The MOT testers can only test on items that are listed in the testers handbook with emissions set between parameters and as long as these parameters are met vehicles will pass.
  • Nagme
    Nagme Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course it will pass the MOT without getting the software "upgrade" - that's what the software was designed to cheat!

PS don't get the fix!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nagme wrote: »
    Of course it will pass the MOT without getting the software "upgrade" - that's what the software was designed to cheat!

PS don't get the fix!
    No it wasn't!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family