Anyone recommend what to invest £70k in with stocks and shares

Options
Hi all,

I have got a £70k SIPP with Hargreaves & Lansdown. Anyone please advise what recommendations to invest it into. For info, you could class me as a medium risk investor.

I am also about to start day-trading via my Halifax share-dealing account and will be investing £1k. This will be medium to high risk, Can anyone please advise what to do.

Thanks

Comments

• Drp8713
    Drp8713 Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well you will want to hold ETFs or Investment Trusts as that will cap your fees at £200 per annum instead of the £315 (and more as your potfolio grows) you would pay in open ended funds.

I dont know your age, goals or what you define as medium risk, so maybe;

RIT Capital Partners 50%
    Personal Assets Trust 50%

Advice re day trading, dont bother.
  • kauto
    kauto Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have got a £70k SIPP with Hargreaves & Lansdown. Anyone please advise what recommendations to invest it into. For info, you could class me as a medium risk investor.

I am also about to start day-trading via my Halifax share-dealing account and will be investing £1k. This will be medium to high risk, Can anyone please advise what to do.

Thanks

Hi,

Don't bother with the day-trading idea, the fees you will have to pay for each transaction will erode any gains you make on a day to day basis.
    "Be Fearful when's others are Greedy and Greedy only when others are Fearful"
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks

Doesn't make sense to me?

As others have said; don't do it.....you will lose money.
  • Gadfium
    Gadfium Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No-one here can "advise" you- that's the remit of professional IFAs. What you will get is personal beliefs and recommendations. If you choose to follow those then you are far from medium risk. After all, would you wander into a pub and ask random strangers for financial advise (OK, this isn't a pub, but you get my drift).

Similarly, if you don't know how to invest £70K then why do you think that you will have the knowledge and skills to enter such a risky game as day-trading?

Instead of gambling the £1K on day-trading, invest it with by checking out a number of professional IFAs. Then pick the one tha best suits your needs.
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    If you mean 1k trading to buy and hold its ok but as mentioned day trading with 1k wont make you any money in fact most day traders start of as such then end up being long term holders.
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    If you mean 1k trading to buy and hold its ok but as mentioned day trading with 1k wont make you any money in fact most day traders start of as such then end up being long term holders.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For info, you could class me as a medium risk investor.
    What is your definition of medium risk? Generically, that means you are willing to accept around 30% loss in 12 months. However, one person's medium risk is another person's low or high risk.
    I am also about to start day-trading via my Halifax share-dealing account and will be investing £1k.

Goodbye £1000.
    This will be medium to high risk, Can anyone please advise what to do.

dont do it.

If you are unable to research and make your own investment decisions then day trading is a totally daft thing to do.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks

You won't be "investing" £1000, you'll be gambling with it.

Day trading is not "medium risk". In terms of being an investor, as opposed to a gambler, it is about as sensible as going out of your house into the street and putting your £1000 down the nearest grid.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for the advise.

I am an experienced investor in stocks and shared.

I am 53 years old and have taken early retirement.

With regards day trading, I will elaborate, If see a bargain, say a share price suddenly drops, I may buy some.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,253 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks all for the advise.

I am an experienced investor in stocks and shared.

I am 53 years old and have taken early retirement.

With regards day trading, I will elaborate, If see a bargain, say a share price suddenly drops, I may buy some.

I think your initial post asking for suggestions on what to invest £70k into gave many the impression that you were inexperienced, it certainly did me.

Why do you want to change what it is currently in, what are you aiming to achieve by when?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure