IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstones - Court Claim Form & defence

Options

Comments

• simonsam1964
    Options
    Ah - I think I have seen that example: it was in one of the blogs (poss Prankster) and also referred in one of the Industry Bodies' ToR, I think. I'll go back and dig some more......
    Thanks again btw :-)
  • simonsam1964
    Options
    Still looking, but I'm likeing the cut of Wikipedia's jib...

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Parking is the act of stopping a vehicle and leaving it unoccupied for more than a brief time."
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    What does Oxford English say? Judges will like an OE definition I think rather than this new-fangled Wikipedia thing.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options

1/ This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol

(a) There was no compliant ‘Letter before County Court Claim’, under the Practice Direction, despite the Defendant's requests for this and further information made on [x date].

(b) The Defendant did not receive any letter requesting payment from the Claimant. No copy letter was received, either, from the Claimant’s legal representative, despite informing them (Claimant’s legal representative) that no original letter had been received.

(c) This is a speculative serial litigant, issuing a large number of identical 'draft particulars'. The badly mail-merged documents contain very little information. The first-received covering letter merely contains a supposed PCN number with insufficient contravention details, nor any photographs.

(d) The Claimant’s legal representative sent an erroneous Letter Before Claim, demanding payment relating to another vehicle, not known to the defendant, prior to the defendant subsequently receiving a non-compliant Letter Before Claim regarding his/her vehicle. The Claimant failed to acknowledge its mistake despite the defendant seeking further information in writing.
    I'm confused by what actually happened. Are you saying that you received nothing at all until the wrong LBC arrived on your doorstep, you then asked about it and they then sent a corrected one and then refused to answer any questions about the claim? This isn't clear, you need to play around with it to make the chronology clearer.
    2/ The Claim form particulars are extremely sparse and divulged no cause of action nor sufficient detail for the Defendant to understand the claim being brought.
    The Defendant has little idea what the claim is about - how why the charge arose, what the alleged contract was; nothing that could be considered a fair exchange of information. This is in direct breach of CPR Rule 16.4 and Practice Direction 7E paragraph 5.2 and, if a contract is relied upon, the absence of the contractual terms is a breach of Practice Direction 16 para 7.3.
    The Defendant wrote to the Claimant on xxxx prior to proceedings being issued, asking them to provide further and appropriate details of the Claim, in compliance with these Rules, and the Claimant ignored that letter in complete defiance of its obligations pursuant to paragraphs 6(a), 6(c) and 12 of the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct.

3/ The Defendant never received any Notice to Keeper from the Claimant.
    The first communication the Defendant received was a letter dated XXXX from the Claimant’s solicitor [purporting to be a Letter Before Claim???]. The DefendantHe immediately wrote to the Claimant’s legal representative explaining that no letter had been received [not sure what you mean here - do you mean previous correspondence had been received, and that this was the first the Defendant was aware of any alleged parking charge?] but received no response copy communication. The Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that it issued a compliant notice to keeper under Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Absent such a notice served within 14 days of the parking event and with fully compliant statutory wording, this Claimant is unable to hold the Defendant liable under the strict ‘keeper liability’ provisions of Schedule 4 of POFA.

4/ If the Claim is for a breach of contract (which is not at all clear from the Particulars of Claim) The Defendant further denies that any contract was formed because there is an absence of offer, acceptance and consideration, as set out below.

5/ Tthe driver did not "park” and cannot therefore have accepted any contractual terms offered.
    The Defendant denies that he parked according to the commonly understood meaning of that word and according to common understanding within POFA; the driver merely drove into of the site when he had lost his way, checked where he was and then left written directions for a short period (the car was present on the site for only 3 minutes according to the time of alleged parking recorded by the Claimant) then left. For any contract to have been formed, the driver must have been made aware of the terms and must have been given the opportunity to consider whether or not to accept them. A 3 minute presence on the site clearly indicates that tThe driver cannot therefore have accepted any contractual terms that were offered by the Claimant (if any were in fact offered, which is denied) that were offered by the Claimant.

5/ The Defendant denies that any contract was formed between the driver and the Claimant Claimant's signage was not capable of making an offer, and did not make any offer, which was capable of being accepted. The Defendant relies on the following:
    The existence of a contract is denied because of inadequate signage; the existing signage was incapable of forming any contract which would have bound the driver - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case: [leave mention of Beavis for your witness statement]
    (a) Inadequate of site/entrance signage - the wording on the signs did not make any clear offer. In the alternative, to the extent that any offer was made, the signage was displayed in such a way that any terms were not brought to the driver's attention - in breach of the POFA 2012 Schedule 4 and the IPC compulsory ATA Code of Practice, of which the Claimant is a member, and no contract was formed to pay any clearly stated sum.
    (b) The signage was not lit and any terms were not transparent or clearly legible;
    (c) Any contract which may have been formed (which, for the avoidance of doubt, is denied) is void because its terms are unfair as they were contrary to the UTCCRs (as applicable at the time),
    (d) No terms were agreed by the driver
    (e) No promise was made by the driver that could constitute consideration because there was no offer known nor accepted. No consideration flowed from the Claimant.
    (f) The signs were not compliant in terms of the font size, lighting or positioning. I think above wording already covers this
    (g) Sum pursued exceeds £100 [do you mean that it is therefore an unrecoverable penalty?].

Absent the elements of a contract, there can be no contract of which the Defendant can have breached breach of contract.

6/ The Claimant has no legal standing to bring this claim (this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case)
    It is unclear whether UK Parking Management & Enforcement hold a legitimate contract with the landowner to manage the parking and to issue and pursue payment of charges at this car park. As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner.

[give this its own para number] If, on the other hand, the claim arises from a trespass (again, which is not at all clear from the Particulars of Claim) then The Beavis case confirmed the fact that, if the case concerned is a matter of trespass (not breach of any contract), a parking firm has no standing as a non-landowner to pursue even nominal damages.

7/ The charge is an unenforceable penalty based upon a lack of commercial justification. The Beavis case confirmed that the penalty rule is certainly engaged in any case of a private parking charge and was only disengaged due to the unique circumstances of that case, which do not resemble this claim.[I think this is better as part of original para 5]

7/ The Claimant has added unrecoverable sums to the original parking charge.
    If Mr XXXXXXX (Claimant’s legal representative, who signed the form) is an employee then the Defendant suggests he is remunerated and the particulars of claim are templates, so it is not credible that £50 legal costs were incurred. The defendant denies the Claimant is entitled to any further payment.

The Defendant denies any liability whatsoever to the Claimant in any matter and asks the Court to note that the Claimant has:

(a)Issued an erroneous claim to the defendant regarding an unknown vehicle, rendering their administration questionable

(b) Failed to disclose any cause of action in the Claim Form issued on xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(c) failed to respond to a letter from the Defendant dated xxxxxxx requesting further information and details of the claim and subsequently a second letter dated xxxxxxxxxxxx

The vague Particulars of Claim disclose no clear cause of action. The court is invited to strike out the claim of its own volition as having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success.

It is believed the facts contained in this Defence Statement are true.
    In support of these arguments, the defendant has provided the specific correspondence between him and Gladstones Solicitors in chronological order (five items of correspondence). Also supplied is a sample photograph of the signs which are placed occasionally around the site.You don't normally exhibit documents to a defence, but no harm in doing so if it might persuade a judge to throw this out at an early stage - but when you file the defence you must invite the court to strike out the claim under CPR Rule 3.4 using its inherent case management powers under Rule 1.4(2)(c) and Practice Direction 26, paragraph 5.1 , otherwise the defence won't even be read, it'll just be filed]

(ENDS)

I think add a para at the end:

Because the Particulars of Claim are so sparse (a breach of inter alia CPR Rule 16.4) it is difficult for the Defendant (a litigant in person) to file a proper defence. For the avoidance of doubt, should this matter proceed then the Defendant puts the Claimant to full proof of every aspect of its claim. He must also, given the lack of particularisation of the claim, reserve the right to raise further points in his defence, should the Claimant further particularise its claim (for instance, in any witness evidence).
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    OP, I'm amending your version rather than re-writing it. If you want to see the defence I filed (I was not the defendant but drafted the documents), here is a link to an anonymised version on dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdv35g3pa5vq8uh/AMENDED%20DEFENCE%20anon.docx?dl=0

Some of this won't apply to you at all, but you will see how it's been set out. You will also see that I dealt with breaches of POFA in detail - if you prefer you can deal with the issue briefly in this Defence, but elaborate in your WS. All points of defence should be included, even if in brief. I dealt with Beavis, but in retrospect could have left this to the WS stage.

I sent in this Defence AFTER I'd had their WS, so ignore that part of it.

Have you checked whether the Claimant had planning/advertisement permission for the signs? If not it's a criminal offence and you should add this to your defence. Search on the council's planning portal online (you'll need the location or postcode) and you'll see if they have had planning. Or phone your council, they are usually very helpful. I can give you some wording if they didn't have permission.
  • simonsam1964
    Options
    Fantastic - thank you. As yet I've not got hold of an OED description of 'parking' (not available online for free - searching for a hard copy in my book pile....!) though other descriptions are vague and not hugely helpful. Your amends are really helpful though - certainly much more focussed than I was (!).
  • simonsam1964
    Options
    Thank you LoC123.
    Latest iteration of defence statement below. Still trying to establish whether the signs have (or need) planning permission - Council's website is full of detail, but confusing! I hope I've clarified the chronology of letters etc now - its almost reads like I'm making the same point more than once, but it seems to relate to a slightly different thing that they did (or didn't do)......

(BEGINS)
    1/ This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol

(a) There was no compliant ‘Letter before County Court Claim’, under the Practice Direction, despite the Defendant's requests for this and further information made on [x date].

(b) The Defendant did not receive any letter requesting payment from the Claimant. No copy letter was received, either, from the Claimant’s legal representative, despite informing them (Claimant’s legal representative) that no original letter had been received.

(c) This is a speculative serial litigant, issuing a large number of identical 'draft particulars'. The badly mail-merged documents contain very little information. The first-received covering letter merely contains a supposed PCN number with insufficient contravention details, nor any photographs.

(d) The Claimant’s did not receive any letter from the Claimant regarding any parking issue. The first communication received by the defendant was an incorrect Letter Before Claim from the Claimant’s legal representative, Gladstones Solicitors, demanding payment concerning a vehicle not owned by or known to the Defendant. The Defendant did not act as this was clearly a mistake and not related to him. The Claimant’s legal representative then sent another non-compliant Letter Before Claim, demanding payment relating to the defendant’s vehicle. The defendant wrote to the Claimant’s legal representative, telling them that he had not received any previous communication from the Claimant, and that the only letter he had received prior to the non-compliant Letter Before Claim was concerning another vehicle XXXXXX not know to him, and asked for further information as to why the Legal Representative was pursuing him. The Claimant failed to acknowledge its mistake despite the defendant seeking further information in writing.

The Defendant then received a brief, unattributed letter from the Claimant’s legal representative stating that ‘the charge was issued on 1 September 2016 to vehicle XXXXXXX for unauthorised parking as you were parked without a valid permit’ and enclosing photographs purporting to show the vehicle in an unidentified place for a 3 minute period.

The defendant wrote back to the Claimant’s legal representative on XXXXXX reiterating that he had received no correspondence from the Claimant and detailing, once more, the correspondence trail and chronology. The Defendant requested the full name and address of the client in addition to details of how and why the parking claim was being made, and also how the amount demanded was calculated. No response was received.

2/ The Claim form particulars are extremely sparse and divulged no cause of action nor sufficient detail for the Defendant to understand the claim being brought.
    The Defendant has little idea what the claim is about - how the charge arose, what the alleged contract was; nothing that could be considered a fair exchange of information. This is in direct breach of CPR Rule 16.4 and Practice Direction 7E paragraph 5.2 and, if a contract is relied upon, the absence of the contractual terms is a breach of Practice Direction 16 para 7.3.
    The Defendant wrote to the Claimant on xxxx prior to proceedings being issued, asking them to provide further and appropriate details of the Claim, in compliance with these Rules, and the Claimant ignored that letter in complete defiance of its obligations pursuant to paragraphs 6(a), 6(c) and 12 of the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct.

3/ The Defendant never received any Notice to Keeper from the Claimant.
    The first communication the Defendant received was a letter dated XXXX from the Claimant’s solicitor, purporting to be a Letter Before Claim. The Defendant immediately wrote to the Claimant’s legal representative explaining that no letter had been received but received no detail regarding the Claimant’s alleged original Notice to Keeper. The Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that it issued a compliant Notice to Keeper under Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Absent such a notice served within 14 days of the parking event and with fully compliant statutory wording, this Claimant is unable to hold the Defendant liable under the strict ‘keeper liability’ provisions of Schedule 4 of POFA.

4/ If the Claim is for a breach of contract (which is not at all clear from the Particulars of Claim) The Defendant denies that any contract was formed because there is an absence of offer, acceptance and consideration, as set out below.

5/ The driver did not "park” and cannot therefore have accepted any contractual terms offered.
    The Defendant denies that he parked according to the commonly understood meaning of that word and according to common understanding within POFA; the driver merely drove into the site when he had lost his way, checked where he was and then left (the car was present on the site for only 3 minutes according to the time of alleged parking recorded by the Claimant). For any contract to have been formed, the driver must have been made aware of the terms and must have been given the opportunity to consider whether or not to accept them. A 3 minute presence on the site clearly indicates that the driver cannot therefore have accepted any contractual terms that were offered by the Claimant (if any were in fact offered, which is denied).

5/ The Claimant's signage was not capable of making an offer, and did not make any offer, which was capable of being accepted. The Defendant relies on the following:

(a) Inadequate site/entrance signage - the wording on the signs did not make any clear offer. In the alternative, to the extent that any offer was made, the signage was displayed in such a way that any terms were not brought to the driver's attention - in breach of the POFA 2012 Schedule 4 and the IPC compulsory ATA Code of Practice, of which the Claimant is a member, and no contract was formed to pay any clearly stated sum.
    (b) The signage was not lit and any terms were not transparent or clearly legible;
    (c) Any contract which may have been formed (which, for the avoidance of doubt, is denied) is void because its terms are unfair as they were contrary to the UTCCRs (as applicable at the time),
    (e) No promise was made by the driver that could constitute consideration because there was no offer known nor accepted. No consideration flowed from the Claimant.
    (f) Sum pursued exceeds £100 and is therefore an unrecoverable penalty.
    (g) The charge is an unenforceable penalty based upon a lack of commercial justification. The Beavis case confirmed that the penalty rule is certainly engaged in any case of a private parking charge and was only disengaged due to the unique circumstances of that case, which do not resemble this claim.

Absent the elements of a contract, there can be no contract of which the Defendant can have breached.

6/ The Claimant has no legal standing to bring this claim.
    It is unclear whether UK Parking Management & Enforcement hold a legitimate contract with the landowner to manage the parking and to issue and pursue payment of charges at this car park. As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner.

7/ If, on the other hand, the claim arises from a trespass (again, which is not at all clear from the Particulars of Claim) then a parking firm has no standing as a non-landowner to pursue even nominal damages.

8/ The Claimant has added unrecoverable sums to the original parking charge. The particulars of claim are templates, so it is not credible that £50 legal costs were incurred. The defendant denies the Claimant is entitled to any further payment.

The Defendant denies any liability whatsoever to the Claimant in any matter and asks the Court to note that the Claimant has:

(a)Issued an erroneous claim to the defendant regarding an unknown vehicle, rendering their administration questionable

(b) Failed to disclose any cause of action in the Claim Form issued on xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(c) failed to respond to a letter from the Defendant dated xxxxxxx requesting further information and details of the claim and subsequently a second letter dated xxxxxxxxxxxx

The vague Particulars of Claim disclose no clear cause of action.

The court is invited to strike out the claim as having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success under CPR Rule 3.4 using its inherent case management powers under Rule 1.4(2)(c) and Practice Direction 26, paragraph 5.1.

It is believed the facts contained in this Defence Statement are true.

In support of these arguments, the defendant has provided the specific correspondence between him and Gladstones Solicitors in chronological order (five items of correspondence). Also supplied is a sample photograph of the signs which are placed occasionally around the site.

Because the Particulars of Claim are so sparse (a breach of inter alia CPR Rule 16.4) it is difficult for the Defendant (a litigant in person) to file a proper defence. For the avoidance of doubt, should this matter proceed then the Defendant puts the Claimant to full proof of every aspect of its claim. He must also, given the lack of particularisation of the claim, reserve the right to raise further points in his defence, should the Claimant further particularise its claim (for instance, in any witness evidence).

(ENDS)
  • simonsam1964
    Options
    Incidentally, Chambers Dictionary defines 'parking' as:
    the action of the verb 'park'
    The definition of park in relation to vehicles is 'to place or leave unattended'

Cambridge Dictionary defines parking as 'leaving a vehicle in a particular place for a period of time'. So, I'm not sure that not leaving the vehicle is helpful (I think NCP would argue if I parked all day but waited in the car to avoid payment). It would appear that the intention to remain is key. I'll keep looking though.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    1/ This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol, leaving the Defendant in a position where he cannot understand the Claim, and cannot therefore properly defend it.

(a) The first the Defendant heard from the Claimant was a “Letter Before Claim” which it transpired was sent to him in error because it concerned a vehicle of which he was not registered keeper and which he knew nothing about. The Defendant drew this to the Claimant’s attention. [or did you ignore it, in which case: The Defendant ignored the letter because he believed it was spam and a phishing exercise, since it concerned a vehicle which was nothing to do with him.]

(b) The Claimant then sent another Letter Before Claim, this time demanding payment relating to the vehicle of which the Defendant is registered keeper. The letter did not comply with the Practice Direction – Pre-Action Conduct. Other than demanding payment of a charge, all it said was “‘the charge was issued on 1 September 2016 to vehicle XXXXXXX for unauthorised parking as you were parked without a valid permit” and it enclosed photographs showing the vehicle in an unidentified location showing it had been there for a 3 minute period. The letter failed to explain what the claim was, how it had arisen, how the sum allegedly due had been calculated, nor did it provide supporting evidence (all required by paragraphs 6(a), 6(c) and 12 of the Practice Direction). The Defendant responded, informing the Claimant that he had not received any previous communication from it, and asked for further information as to the alleged claim so that he could understand and respond to it.

(c) Prior to, and since, the Letter Before Claim at (b) above, the Defendant received no communication from the Claimant or its agents or solicitors requesting payment.

2/ The Claimant has also failed to comply with the court rules in issuing its claim. The Claim Form contains particulars which are extremely sparse - they divulge no cause of action nor sufficient detail for the Defendant to understand the claim being brought and to respond appropriately. This is in breach of CPR Rule 16.4 and Practice Direction 7E paragraph 5.2. If the claim is based on a contract (which is not clear from the Particulars), then it is also in breach of Practice Direction 16 para 7.3 which requires the contractual terms to be provided with the Particulars of Claim. The Claimant is a speculative serial litigant, issuing a large number of identical, similarly incoherent claims.
    The Defendant therefore has little idea what the claim is about - how the charge arose, what the terms of any alleged contract were or how they have been breached; whether the claim is for breach of contract or trespass - nothing that could be considered a fair exchange of information. Notably, the Claimant refused to provide this information at the pre-action phase, in spite of the Defendant asking on xxx date. The Claimant has acted in complete defiance of its obligations pursuant to paragraphs 6(a), 6(c) and 12 of the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct and Rules 7 and 16 of the CPR.

3/ The Claimant has never sent a Notice to Keeper to the Defendant. Absent such a notice served within 14 days of the parking event and with fully compliant statutory wording, this Claimant is unable to hold the Defendant liable under the strict ‘keeper liability’ provisions of Schedule 4 of The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. If it is claimed that one was served, the Defendant puts the Claimant to full proof thereof. [If you are admitting being the driver this all becomes irrelevant]

4/ The Defendant does not know whether the claim is for a breach of contract or for a trespass. If it is for a breach of contract (which is not at all clear from the Particulars of Claim) the Defendant denies that any contract was formed because there is an absence of offer, acceptance and consideration, as set out below.

5/ The Defendant assumes (but does not know) that if the claim concerns a breach of contract, the Claimant will assert that its signage contains the terms of that contract. The Defendant denies that the signage was capable of making an offer, and did not make any offer, which was capable of being accepted. The Defendant relies on the following:

(a) Inadequate site/entrance signage - the wording on the signs did not make any clear offer.

(b) In the alternative, to the extent that any offer was made, the signage was displayed in such a way that any terms were not brought to the driver's attention - in breach of the POFA 2012 Schedule 4 and the IPC compulsory ATA Code of Practice, of which the Claimant is a member, and no contract can have been formed to pay any clearly stated sum.
    (c) The signage was not lit and any terms were not transparent or clearly legible;
    (d) Any contract which may have been formed (which, for the avoidance of doubt, is denied) is void because its terms are unfair as they were contrary to the UTCCRs (as applicable at the time),
    (f) The sum pursued exceeds £100 and is therefore an unrecoverable penalty.
    (g) The charge is an unenforceable penalty based upon a lack of commercial justification. The Beavis case confirmed that the penalty rule is certainly engaged in any case of a private parking charge and was only disengaged due to the unique circumstances of that case, which do not resemble this claim.

Absent the elements of a contract, there can be no contract of which the Defendant can have breached.

6/ If it is found that the signage was capable of making an offer, and that it was displayed in an appropriate manner, the Defendant denies that any contract exists because he cannot have accepted, and did not accept, the terms offered, because he did not "park” in the ordinary meaning of that word. He simply entered the site and left with a short period of time. In fact, the Defendant drove into the site because he had lost his way, checked where he was and then left. When he entered the site he had no intention of parking there, and did not park there. This is borne out by the Claimant’s own evidence that the Defendant’s vehicle was present on the site for only 3 minutes. For any contract to have been formed, the driver must have been made aware of the terms and must have been given the opportunity to consider whether or not to accept them. A 3 minute presence on the site clearly indicates that the driver cannot therefore have accepted any contractual terms offered by the Claimant (if any were in fact offered, which is denied).

7/ The Claimant has no legal standing to bring this claim.
    It is unclear whether the Claimant entered into any contract with the landowner to manage the parking which authorised it to issue and pursue payment of charges at this car park and to do so in its own name. The Defendant’s case is that the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in its name which should be in the name of the landowner, and puts it to full proof thereof.

8/ If, on the other hand, the claim arises from a trespass (again, which is not at all clear from the Particulars of Claim) then a third party has no standing as a non-landowner to pursue even nominal damages.

9/ The Claimant has added unrecoverable sums to the original parking charge. The particulars of claim are templates, so it is not credible that £50 legal costs were incurred. The defendant denies the Claimant is entitled to any further payment.

10/ The Defendant denies any liability whatsoever to the Claimant in any matter and asks the Court to note that the Claimant has:

(a) Failed to disclose any cause of action in the Claim Form issued on xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(b) failed to respond to a letter from the Defendant dated xxxxxxx requesting further information and details of the claim and subsequently a second letter dated xxxxxxxxxxxx

(c) The vague Particulars of Claim disclose no clear cause of action.

The court is invited to strike out the claim as having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success under CPR Rule 3.4 using its inherent case management powers under Rule 1.4(2)(c) and Practice Direction 26, paragraph 5.1.

In support of these arguments, the defendant has provided the specific correspondence between him and Gladstones Solicitors in chronological order (five items of correspondence). Also supplied is a sample photograph of the signs which are placed occasionally around the site.

11/ Because the Particulars of Claim are so sparse it is difficult for the Defendant (a litigant in person) to file a proper and full defence. For the avoidance of doubt, should this matter proceed then the Defendant puts the Claimant to full proof of every aspect of its claim. The Defendant must also, given the lack of particularisation of the claim, reserve the right to raise further points in his defence, should the Claimant further particularise its claim (for instance, in any witness evidence).

DATED THIS TH DAY OF 2017

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed …………………………………….
    [name]
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    I've played around with it. I might not have the bit about the letters before claim and your requests for info quite right.

If you are admitting being the driver then the NtK being non compliant doesn't matter. POFA is irrelevant because you were driving.

Your case rests on the fact that there was either no offer, or if there was you did not accept it because the offer was to park and you didn't park and didn't intend to park and simply drove in, paused briefly to find out where you were, and then left.

After 6/ (there are to 5s - obviously you need to renumber) I think you should put another paragraph to deny that there was any consideration:
    "It follows that even if there was an offer, by the Defendant not parking and leaving the site within 3 minutes, no consideration flowed from the Claimant"
    And then put that wording about three 3 elements of a contract under this paragraph (Absent the elements of a contract, there can be no contract of which the Defendant can have breached).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure