PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Adverse Possession Unregistered Land 12 Years

Options
2»

Comments

• lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    The farm doesn't, we have obtained copies of land registry and we have drawn a blank. Further along you can see some fields have additional bits that were owned by the Railway that are now owned by the forms and were obviously purchased. We have contacted Network Rail, my other half works for a rail company and has a large number of years working on the railways and has some contacts too. I've got emails from Network Rail confirming they don't own it. Neither do they have any records going back of any sale of such land.

This was all explored when we were worrying if there was JKW which there isn't but we were curious as to maintenance of the area. The farmers field the other side has a fence the other side of the embankment but then from his fence up and over the embankment to our house is no fence.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lovehols wrote: »
    The farm doesn't, we have obtained copies of land registry and we have drawn a blank.
    Is the rest of the farm registered at LR? Many farms are handed down through the family, so registration hasn't happened as it would with a sale.
  • lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    I know the solicitor made all the relevant enquiries and drew a blank. I viewed the original plans from when the house was built in 1975 and again no details of the land.

Someone will know from my previous thread when buying the house the lane to access the property was also not registered, which was resolved through an indemnity.

This is the pic looking down towards the farmers field. You'll see he has fenced the field of his.

https://flic.kr/p/H7wHzs

This is the top of the embankment - no tracks now just overgrown.

https://flic.kr/p/H7wFZJ

And this is looking down towards my house. Those are my outbuildings and drive. You can see it's very steep so you can either get to it by climbing up from my drive or going into the farmers field and climbing under his fence and scaling the embankment - no easy task!

https://flic.kr/p/24azGpd
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lovehols wrote: »
    I know the solicitor made all the relevant enquiries and drew a blank. I viewed the original plans from when the house was built in 1975 and again no details of the land.
    That doesn't answer my question about the registration of the farm, though.

This is the pic looking down towards the farmers field. You'll see he has fenced the field of his.

https://flic.kr/p/H7wHzs

But he would fence the field, even if he thought he owned the embankment. As you probably know, the embankment isn't a suitable environment for many animals.

I'd get to know the farmer. It's likely they'll know more than anyone.

The only other consideration is whether the railway bed might be reinstated or reused at some point. There's been a fair amount of reinstatement and sometimes the trackway is the best route for road projects. In my locality, what was left of the railway ended up as parts of a major new route that was brought into the area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure