Getting a default removed

Options
OK, long story...

I had a barclaycard and a mastercard and was paying off both at £40 per month.

I would phone up, pay £40 on one and £40 on the other.

One month I notice that one account shows 2x payments of £40 to one account, I phoned them and had a broken English conversation where the phone operative told me that they were combing the two and not to worry, I continue paying monthly and then I get referred to a collection agency.

At some point there has been a misunderstanding and one account unpaid which resulted in the default.

Fast forward to the last 6 months, or got them to admit to the fault, they admitted fault and paid me £45 as a goodwill gesture.

Both accounts are fully settled now

In the last week I've managed to speak to a guy on the UK who has acknowledged the problem but says he can't remove the default but he has managed to alter the date of the default from 2014 to 2013 as they got the date wrong also.

Can anyone suggest how to progress with this?

Thanks for any input

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    What year did you fall behind on the payments initially?

I guess the account Defaulted which is what lead to you being put on an arrangement to pay
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So had the debt been sold to a DCA or were the DCA acting on Barclaycard's behalf? Does the default still have barclaycards name on it? The default falls of after 6 years, so the question is whether you will be applying for financial products before it falls off in 2019, as to what to do. If not, then battling to try and get the default removed is a moot point as either way it will not have an impact. If you are, especially a large one like a remortgage, then it would be worth trying further.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Michael

Just to clarify, were you paying the £40 payments to the original creditor or a DCA? If the debt was with a DCA it is very likely the default would already have been registered on your credit file by then. That's because a default is usually registered when you are in between 3 to 6 months of arrears. It often marks the breakdown in the relationship between you and the creditor, for example when they pass the debt to a DCA.

If the default is factually correct then it is highly unlikely you will be able to get it removed. But as nic_c rightly says, the debt will drop off your credit file next year anyway, once the default is 6 years old.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure