IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Tesco to get blue badge info from dvla

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fisherjim wrote: »
    Hang on; "customers will complain if you don't have a child seat", so another unsigned, unwritten rule rears its head that's governed by what any old mummy with a child in tow thinks!
    What a crock of dung!
    Just shows how it's going to be totally unworkable and not very well thought through.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    cue run on child seats.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cue run on child seats.

Or blacked out rear windows!

But in all seriousness, and I don't mean to be offensive, but the majority of trolley collectors, if those are the staff used, are not that bright.
  • Mattevansc3
    Options
    Tesco has launched a clampdown on motorists who steal parking spaces intended for its disabled customers.
    Following “warmly welcomed trials” that hit non-disabled occupants with hefty fines, the retailer now has plans to extend the blitz nationwide. It is also looking at extending the clampdown to spaces reserved for parents with children.

The supermarket giant’s trial at more than 80 stores involved using specially adapted handheld devices that link to the DVLA database. It worked with enforcement company Horizon initially, but The Grocer understands it is now looking at rolling out its own system across the country.

To date, the retailer has been using 20 Samsung mobile phones fitted with a special app and it wants to develop technology further to enable store staff to have a similar app on their personal devices.

Cat Parkinson, who helped develop the scheme as Tesco car park operations executive, said it made parking at Tesco “fairer for everyone”. “We want to change attitudes towards the misuse of disabled bays by highlighting the importance of disabled bays being used properly.

“We take this issue seriously and ask that customers display a blue badge if they’re parking in a disabled bay. We’ll continue to look at ways to prevent misuse of these essential spaces for our disabled customers. Disabled parking is an important part of the customer experience that is sometimes overlooked.”
    Operations manager Chris Preece said the scheme had proved a “revelation” at stores where it had been trialled, such as Taunton High Street.
    “As the only free car park in the town centre, protecting our disabled bays has been a constant battle.

“The trial is an instant success. In fact, just having the new signage in our car park made an immediate impact. We’ve received nothing but positive feedback from our customers in Taunton. Similar praise has come from customers across our other stores.”

Tesco has won the support of former British paratrooper Jordan Beecher, a customer at its Finchley store, who lost his leg in an IED attack in Afghanistan.
    “I’m delighted to hear that Tesco are doing something to raise awareness of the importance of disabled parking bays. This will definitely support others in a similar position,” he said.

Whilst I have to agree with the sentiment how will the dvla know that the passenger has a blue badge and not just the RK. Indeed how will they work out parents and children.

Borrowed from Pepipoo.com incase some don't go there.

Tesco can't as DVLA don't hold this information. I used to work in the DVLA contact centre and if someone called about their blue badge we told them to contact the local authority that issues them.

The blue badge also has no effect on the disabled VED band so a VED check wouldn't mean anything.
  • Mattevansc3
    Options
    Castle wrote: »
    You don't need a child seat if the child is at least 135cm tall, so plenty of under 12's won't need them.
    https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/using-a-child-car-seat-or-booster-seat

The Sainsbury near me states the child parent parking bays are only for those with child seats and as a parent with two small kids I can understand why.

All those bays offer is a wider gap between cars. This allows you to put your pushchair or prams by the side of your car and not on the road, gives your child somewhere to stand that isn't in the path of moving vehicles and also allows you to open the door far enough so you can actually lean over and strap your kids in without hitting another vehicle.

If your child is old enough to not need a child seat they are generally old enough to do their own seat belt and don't need a prams or pushchair.

Its not even that the spaces are closer to the shop entrance, most of the ones in the supermarkets where I live out them around the side of the building or tucked away in a corner.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What about other parent and child issues, where the child is in middle age and the parent may well be in their 80s (or older) where all the needs of your young child are so very similar to those of the old parent?

Any thoughts on that?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Mattevansc3
    Options
    Castle wrote: »
    You don't need a child seat if the child is at least 135cm tall, so plenty of under 12's won't need them.
    https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/using-a-child-car-seat-or-booster-seat
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    What about other parent and child issues, where the child is in middle age and the parent may well be in their 80s (or older) where all the needs of your young child are so very similar to those of the old parent?

Any thoughts on that?

Depends on the similarity. If you were saying wheelchair instead of pushchair/pram or their mobility issues meant they couldn't enter or exit a car without considerable assistance then realistically you'd be pushing for that blue badge or get them classed as disabled.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Arguing about Parent and child bays is pointless, they are just something dreamt up by supermarkets, with no legal standing or requirement at all.

PPC's love them as they can apply any rule they like to slap one of their silly moneymaking tickets on.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 October 2016 at 12:01PM
    Options
    Depends on the similarity. If you were saying wheelchair instead of pushchair/pram or their mobility issues meant they couldn't enter or exit a car without considerable assistance then realistically you'd be pushing for that blue badge or get them classed as disabled.

I'm being devil's advocate here.

Blue badges and wheelchairs are not the only indicator of a disability. How do you get someone classed as disabled? Who decides? A trolley pusher in Tesco? I thought that's what the EA 2010 was for.

Having extra space around a car is useful in any number of circumstances, not just when a motorist has a rugby playing, strong fit ten year old kid with them such as the P & C bays in a retail outlet near me allow.

Having concession parking when someone has a disability is a completely different issue to graffiti bays for kids. The former is a legal requirement. Use of these bays should not be abused, but harassing genuine users just because they don't have a bit of plastic that isn't valid on private land anyway is not the correct way of going about it.
    I can see the public joining in on this. It's already bad enough when someone makes a comment that a motorist is told, "you don't look disabled/disabled enough." I think Tesco''s action may embolden and actively encourage more of this sort of abuse.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 October 2016 at 11:42AM
    Options
    All those bays offer is a wider gap between cars. This allows you to put your pushchair or prams by the side of your car and not on the road, gives your child somewhere to stand that isn't in the path of moving vehicles and also allows you to open the door far enough so you can actually lean over and strap your kids in without hitting another vehicle.
    Yep - but parent & child bays are a gimmick, not needed under any law, unlike disabled bays which are. They can even make some parents think they have 'right' to a 'special bay' (no, you don't, it's a retail gimmick to entice families in, nothing more). We've had idiots here trying to tell us they parked in a DISABLED bay because all the P&C spaces were full. Just no!

And as for 'enforcement' how can one tell if looking at an empty, parked car, that the Mum or Dad hasn't carried the baby in the car seat and put it on or in a trolley? Or that the parent hasn't clipped the car seat to a buggy base and is pushing the baby around the store?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure