PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to remove mould from bathroom sealant ? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I swear by the Dettox Mould & Mildew stuff for the tile grout, but it doesn't make much impression on the sealant I'm afraid. As previously posted, I don't think there is anything that does.

Once you have replaced the sealant, do what I do now and wipe around it as soon as you get out of the shower/bath, to dry it. It lasts much longer then, before needing replacing again, which seems to be inevitable :(.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• george1939
    Options
    DSR wrote:
    Can anyone advise on the best way to remove mould from bathroom sealant or is it better to remove it and re-apply a new seal?

I have tried neat bleach & mildew removal spray which only slightly reduce the mould.

Cut strands of kitchen roll to form a taper Soak in bleach for one second
    Place this taper over mould for 24 hours MOULD GONE [ works everytime]
  • mini_mad_dad
    Options
    the only thing with silicon, is as wonderfull as it is and can serve many purposes the only thing it wont stick to is silicon itself. so when replacing make sure you remove all of it befor you replace...
    screwfix does a cheap remover that you brush on an scrape of easily the rinse of with water...
  • shetitasatic
    Options
    I agree about wiping down after a shower or bath to keep sealant looking like new. My OH renewed our b'room over a year ago and we decided we would be very strict (!!) with ourselves about wiping down. Last one to use the shower uses a shower squeegee (ours from Asda £1) on tiles and glass shower screen, then wipes down with a micro-fibre cloth. This leaves it dry and polished. Even though we live in a hard water area the screen is like new and grouting and sealant white. Most important though is to open the window. Hope this is useful.
  • new
    Options
    I recently had the sealant round shower tray replaced - but the mold problem ahs returned. :mad: Not keen on nasty chemicals - so have been checking out eco-friendly options [also cheaper and ms!]. Found these onhttp://64.233.183.104/searchq=cache:WrWI_dQOqrMJ:www.thegreenguide.com/doc/ask/mold+black+mold+tea+tree&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=12
    Hope its useful! In the meantime I am scrubbing and spraying using these options. Slow but seems to be working!:T

To make a mold-killing spray, place 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil in a spray bottle with 2 cups of water. Shake to blend. Spray on moldy areas and don't rinse. The smell will dissipate in a couple of days.
    or
    To make a mold-killing spray, place 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil in a spray bottle with 2 cups of water. Shake to blend. Spray on moldy areas and don't rinse. The smell will dissipate in a couple of days.
    The trick with these three sprays is not to rinse so the ingredients have time to do their work, but in a few days, clean up the dead mold with some soap and water.
    3. Borax will also reduce some mold spores and is useful for scrubbing walls, including cement walls found in basements. Cover such areas with a mixture of 1 cup borax to 1 quart of hot water (to dissolve the borax), and let dry without rinsing. Vacuum and dust off the borax a few days later.
    If you're tempted to combine borax with vinegar to get more bang for your buck, hold off. Borax and vinegar neutralize each other, so you won't get the same cleaning power as if you used the ingredients individually
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    I recently made a paste of bicarb and bleach and left it on a stain at the back of the bath taps for 24 hrs. It left a slight yellow stain which is much preferable to the black of the mould.
  • foxhole_2
    foxhole_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Once you have cleaned or replaced you sealant you will need to improve ventilation if you are to prevent it re-appearing.
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    exlibris wrote: »
    I recently made a paste of bicarb and bleach and left it on a stain at the back of the bath taps for 24 hrs. It left a slight yellow stain which is much preferable to the black of the mould.

This is my ideal too, tried and tested.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • new
    Options
    new wrote: »
    I recently had the sealant round shower tray replaced - but the mold problem ahs returned. :mad: Not keen on nasty chemicals - so have been checking out eco-friendly options [also cheaper and ms!]. Found these onhttp://64.233.183.104/searchq=cache:WrWI_dQOqrMJ:www.thegreenguide.com/doc/ask/mold+black+mold+tea+tree&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=12
    Hope its useful! In the meantime I am scrubbing and spraying using these options. Slow but seems to be working!:T

or
    The trick with these three sprays is not to rinse so the ingredients have time to do their work, but in a few days, clean up the dead mold with some soap and water.
    3. Borax will also reduce some mold spores and is useful for scrubbing walls, including cement walls found in basements. Cover such areas with a mixture of 1 cup borax to 1 quart of hot water (to dissolve the borax), and let dry without rinsing. Vacuum and dust off the borax a few days later.
    If you're tempted to combine borax with vinegar to get more bang for your buck, hold off. Borax and vinegar neutralize each other, so you won't get the same cleaning power as if you used the ingredients individually

do some posts have thank you buttons and some not? just curious!:D
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How on earth can I remove black mould stains on silicone sealant in my bathroom & kitchen, between the shower frame & wall tiles, and between the kitchen worktop and tiles? I have good ventilation and regularly spray with anti mould treatment but nothing seems to remove the stains which seem to have become ingrained into the silicone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure