The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Options

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,552 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DG mum has just gone back she could sleep on the mattress on the floor but apart from that it was an ok visit. She's very negative but towards the end she thawed a bit towards me.

Got my free Lego and free waitrose coffee at the local shopping centre but apart from that not done a lot. Going to watch X factor and chill this evening DG and her mum stayed up until 4am don't know how they do it.

My wages has been paid I though they we wrong but I got six weeks worth due to the way the pay cycle works so can clear the interest paying part of my credit card. Interested tenant and one more viewing today so lowering the price worked, hopefully get someone soon. Meeting estate agent Friday when I go down next,

My Dyson is not working properly but must be fixable so will have a proper look tomorrow.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Options
    Exciting news they have found me a tenant :j:j:beer::j:j
    A solicitor who wants to move in 1/11 and has two cats and a dog. Checked her out on the law society and she works for a large well known local firm so far so good.

I know many warn against pets but I am fine she will pay a larger deposit and the house is perfect for pets.

Work a bit boring but meeting CEO tomorrow might help. DG is a bit fed up too about her job but speaking to a friend helped her. A friend also called me and I'm seeing three girlie friends from my old golf club Friday which is really nice. Gym tomorrow and hopefully hear from gym re personal trainer feel it's the only way for us to get back on track even if expensive worth it.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That is great news. :)
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Had a lovely Friday met with neighbour and had a quick catch up. Saw estate agent all paperwork done and it's still looking like 1/11 moving in date. Then had lunch with 7 friends from the club and then off to see an 8th plus her husband who's been helping me with jobs to fix up the house.

Then rushed back tried to get a lock for the loft hatch but it didn't work so neighbour will have to sort that out. Back home at 8pm sad to leave for the last time but also exiting that new family and pets will live there.

Got my landlord insurance sorted out, and the forms completed for estate agent just got to scan and email.

Letter from one pension company at house they will consider paying out if I send marriage certificate and probate so might not have to wait until after the inquest which is good news. :j

Had a chill out day yesterday did the shopping and I got my free Lego for my nephew which was great I think this was the last one though still five packs for very little money as I like the mail. Today is free activity book but it's two miles to he nearest shop to collect it so not bothering.

Booked eight weeks of personal training paying for DG a lot of money up here but think it's worth it she is not getting to the gym and I miss going with her plus I need more motivation. First season was Wednesday now it's Monday scary :eek:.

Money wise I'm doing nicely as six weeks wages instead of a month. I have spent a lot on the house but that's at an end now at least.

Re all my complaints not heard anymore from Santander, EE I might have missed a call but got 24 first class stamps from post office so that was nice plus extended redirection.

Today I need to unpack the rest from my house, DG wants to hit golf balls. Hope you all have a lovely weekend.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    So sad it was all coming together and then the tenant pulled out not leaving her ex husband yet so house back on Rigthmove. Onwards and upwards.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    TallGirl wrote: »
    So sad it was all coming together and then the tenant pulled out not leaving her ex husband yet so house back on Rigthmove. Onwards and upwards.

Really sorry to hear that, but it happens and has happened to us a few times over the years.

You can't be certain of anything until the tenant pays their deposit and first month's rent.

At least you know that your house is desirable so you should find someone else soon.

Did you ask them to pay a non-refundable holding deposit before you took it off the market?
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Hi SuzieSue thanks for popping in shed paid for the credit search that was all really sad story he's staying with ex husband as he might have cancer. Let's hope it's not a ploy although you don't wish cancer on anyone.

Fingers crossed someone else comes along estate agent is good and I can drop the price a bit more but there's nothing else for miles like mine which is so near to the secondary school. Long day agm after work.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    edited 28 October 2016 at 9:25AM
    Options
    Still no tenants turned down single mum on benefits with four kids as local housing allowance wouldn't cover rent and I'm sure she'd have ended up with bedroom tax. Four dogs maybe, four cats yes not four kids house is too small.

So glad it's Friday even if I have a bit to do so better do list

CPD points
    Prepare letter to pension company 1
    Prepare letter to pension company 2
    Fill in form for unclaimed dividend on ex mils estate
    Food Shopping (really don't want to)
    Try and fix dyson speak to helpline
    Sort through tools from old house and store properly

I think that will do can always add more. Probate office called yesterday I had made an error on the middle name all fixed so fingers crossed it comes through soon hence prepping the letters.

Gym tonight was 6 but changed to 7.30pm means less time to drink tonight which is a good thing. Only just stopped hurting since last PT session definitely worth it.

Money wise not great paid £560 for sessions for DG and me until Christmas expensive but will be good so happy about paying and she cannot afford it. Money will be a bit tight but I'll manage and need to stop buying lunches at work. Really could do with houseing renting out had to pay insurance which I could've done without also water and sewerage bills etc. Really should call them and inform them might get discount.

I think that is all from me for now oh and still no internet maybe by the 31/10 house mate is dealing glad it's not me. EE has credited £55 not sure that's right but don't care as long as I don't get huge final bill. Also had £100 from Santander but no letter so not sure what it's for. Glad I have the two books of stamps post office gave me. Really handy.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    Yeah I did the whole list part from the CPD points which are really work so could be done in work time.

Gym session good next week it's Thursday we're seeing him so I hope to go Sunday and Tuesday get back into a routine. Had two tiny beers and one vodka and coke frankly ready for bed so tired.

Love having these Fridays off.

Oh and spoke to water and sewerage don't have to pay those and sorted CT so I don't have to pay anything just yet. Quite money saving day really even if the dyson is still broken and they don't do parts for it anymore.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Options
    So here we are on a lovely sunny day on my way down south for my leadership course nice way to spend the day indeed.

Still no probate but letters ready to go as soon as I get it hopefully today or tomorrow would be fab

Still no internet this is now getting silly and DG is getting really annoyed of missing her programme on cathcup. Housemate is doing his best but still not fixed.

Email late yesterday potential new tenants family of four with a dog sounds good to me turned down all benefit ones now so fingers crossed on this one.

Money wise not been too bad been quite good with lunches but the odd coffe has slipped in. No cakes or ice cream and did leg bums and tums last night and PT session tomorrow so if we do Friday that's three times in week two. Should see results soon.

Got several birthdays this month and as I'm going to Denmark I better get them sorted. My sister wants me to take an advent calendar not sure it will fit in hand luggage. Better think of tiny things to buy.

Work is work people are nice just don't feel settled in what I am suppose to do. Meeting with CEO next week might help will get him to give me some feedback also meeting old CEO in a couple of weeks.

Still a putter hour of this journey can now chill out just wish I had a latte lol
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure