SWINTON refuse contents insurance due to CCJ

Options
Hi,

I hope I am posting in the right place, I have insured my contents with Swinton for years trouble free, this morning I got a letter saying my policy had cancelled, I called them confused having never had any issues before and was told there was no reason why it had cancelled showing on their system, I asked for it to be reinstated upon which I was asked a series of questions, one of which asking if I had a CCJ, I answered yes (a sad fact due to being made redundant coupled with an inability to find new work due to disability making it impossible to pay all of my commitments as I was no longer working) to which I was then told I could not renew my policy even after saying I had insured with them for countless years, there was a blanket 'NO'.... surely this is discrimination ? Either way, it is disgusting that after many years of insuring my contents with them they can simply cancel my policy without warning and refuse to renew it !

It seems to me that these companies find new ways every day to kick me when I am down and unable to defend myself.....

Angry at the unfairness of it all.....

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Probably better to post on the insurance boards.
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you been paying in full up front or in installments? Could make a big difference in your situation.

A money saving tip for you which may soften the blow; insurance compainies make a lot of money from customers like yourself who stick with them for years. Far better to shop around every 12 months, perhaps this cloud has a silver lining for you :-)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Peridot67 wrote: »
    there was a blanket 'NO'.... surely this is discrimination ?

No it isn't discrimination. Your disability has no bearing on this whatsoever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure