Options

Comments

• Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 November 2016 at 7:17PM
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »
    I think this is London based as St Mungo s is.

This is another issue. Eldest child works in London so she sees the homeless on a regular basis, its just one of those things associated with cities and you become compassion weary.
    Sadly there are so many its impossible to help everyone.

For us out in the sticks though even seeing one person huddled down in a doorway for the night is shocking

There's a national link in it for StreetLink for England & Wales.

We are a service that enables the public to alert local authorities in England and Wales about rough sleepers in their area.
    We are funded by the Government as part of its commitment to end rough sleeping. We aim to offer the public a means to act when they see someone sleeping rough, and provide the first step someone can take to ensure people sleeping rough are connected to the local services and support available to them.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• hampydoodums
    Options
    Remember me saying DH received an email from Iceland thanking him for liking SW food and popping a fiver on his bonus card (I've only just signed him up!), he's just received another email saying as a valued bonus card holder he can choose a free gift - a milk chocolate reindeer or any Iceland pizza worth up to £1.50. Ones he's chosen and clicked in the email, the offer will print out as a coupon next time he swipes his card. Me on the other hand who has had a card for yonks got nothing :rotfl:
    :happylove Nanny to 2 Cherubs :happylove
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    10% top up bonus at Quidco, ts and cs apply.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• altojack
    altojack Posts: 9,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »
    I think this is London based as St Mungo s is.

This is another issue. Eldest child works in London so she sees the homeless on a regular basis, its just one of those things associated with cities and you become compassion weary.
    Sadly there are so many its impossible to help everyone.

For us out in the sticks though even seeing one person huddled down in a doorway for the night is shocking

Just popping in for a catch up and spotted your post mhoc, not had time to read back yet :eek:

We've had a lady sleeping on the streets for 2 or 3 years now. She just turned up over night and at the time she was sleeping close to the church in town. Several of the local youth were taking pies, soup and tea to her it seems.

When questions were raised about her situation, social services were well aware as were the housing department at the local council. The trouble us you can't force someone to take to a bed if they've decided to sleep on the streets :eek:

That's right, she had been offered on several occasions, accomadation which she keeps turning down.

Social services see her every day, just to keep an eye on her but she refuses their help too, she's not suffering any mental health issues so she has been left to live in our town , on our streets.

I think she has grown to be part of the town, rather than living in a big city.

She is still fed daily by several that frequent the local pub which is over the road from the church,
    There's no place like home :)

Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

Hugs and healing thoughts are always going your way.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Eldest sons GF is a gin drinker and I thought I'd missed this offer when it was in Morrisons but now its also in Sada for £18 so I can add it to tomorrows APG shop :j

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Spirits/Opihr_Oriental_Spiced_London_Gin_700ml.html?TrackingCode=2241.nPCofBveC0KvvOszLmRTPg

It looks quite exotic looking so it should fit the bill - so I've got something practical and something indulgent to go in her Christmas goody bag :D

I could really do with something extravagant as well as a joint present
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • altojack
    altojack Posts: 9,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I thought I'd better have a catch up early tonight, but haven't got far :D. I'm sure I'll find you've all been busy, getting your Selection boxes and soup :rotfl: :rotfl:

Weather here is so cold, I did hear earlier today that part of Wales has had tremendous damage done due to bad weather and wind. We had about 15 minutes if very windy gusts, sending the dust bins rolling everywhere, then it died down and vanished, thankfully.

Hope everyone warm and well, off to read back now :D
    There's no place like home :)

Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

Hugs and healing thoughts are always going your way.
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    1x Uncle Bens Golden Vegetable Microwave Rice (250G) £1.00 £0.89
    1x Goodness Gracious Organic Bio Food 100% Apple Apricot and Cinnamon Puree Pouch 4m+ (140G) £1.00 N/A (COS £1)
    1x ASDA Smoked Back Bacon (250G) £0.99 N/A
    1x Up & Go Nutritious Breakfast on the Go! Chocolate (250ML) £1.38 £1.00
    0.18x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Banana (order by number of bananas or select kg) (PER KG) £0.13 £0.12
    1x Up & Go Nutritious Breakfast on the Go! Strawberry (250ML) £1.38 £1.00
    1x Up & Go Nutritious Breakfast on the Go! Vanilla (250ML) £1.38 £1.00
    1x The Collective Peach & Apricot Suckies Yogurt Pouch (100G) £0.75 £0.75 (COS 75p)

Used 3 x UpGo Mocs at £1.79 each.

Also got The Collective Natural Yoghurt 900g FREE on COS, cost £2, but paid £3....doesn't appear on APG.
  • marmitelovemehateme
    Options
    LEJC wrote: »
    I think she may have been there for about a week...I vaguely remember driving past last week and seeing the beginnings of a pile of stuff in the corner of the shelter....its a brick built one and quite large so she has seemed to expand into it since I last went by.
    Now it appears that someone has given her a pop up type tent and there is evidence of blankets so it's not a case that she may have been "just passing through"...it looks like she is dare I say it settling in...not the right word or phrase but you get my drift....

its a busy main road and as I said the police station is one side of the road and the other side in equal direction away is the council offices.....they all must have seen her....no one should have to live in a bus shelter....there must be something that can be done.

I want to phone Social services but not with a view to moving her on...with a view to finding out how they can help her....its such a sad situation,which I know I know nothing about other than I dont want to turn a blind eye too.

Sadly LEJC this is becoming a part of our society.....Having watched this evenings news, there is a cronic shortage of affordable housing in this country....A 40% increase in homeless people. Council housing now has to prioritize who is found temporary accomodation, even people with children are turned away......Not so many years ago over 100,000 council properties were built each year...Last year it was below 1000....What you are witnessing is going to be commonplace around the country in the coming years...It will probably get worse before it gets better...The simple fact is that, there is no money on the already overstretched coffers that go to pay for schools, NHS etc etc.....Perhaps the only way forward is to increase taxation, or for the government to borrow more and more money. I think a lot of people will contest that this should be the course of action taken. There is no answer in the short term..

As far as your elderly lady is concerned. I would be quite sure that the relevant authorities are already fully aware of this lady.....
    [STRIKE]68 [STRIKE]Mouses[/STRIKE] [/STRIKE]

OMG, I'm rich! Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeff, Crystals in the Kidney, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries and an inexhaustible supply of natural gas! I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • hampydoodums
    Options
    Ok, so logged into my nectar account and it seems the 10k of points was awarded for 9 transactions which have been grouped together, as aau1 has already said, total outlay was £16.14.
  • hampydoodums
    Options
    Sadly LEJC this is becoming a part of our society.....Having watched this evenings news, there is a cronic shortage of affordable housing in this country....A 40% increase in homeless people. Council housing now has to prioritize who is found temporary accomodation, even people with children are turned away......Not so many years ago over 100,000 council properties were built each year...Last year it was below 1000....What you are witnessing is going to be commonplace around the country in the coming years...It will probably get worse before it gets better...The simple fact is that, there is no money on the already overstretched coffers that go to pay for schools, NHS etc etc.....Perhaps the only way forward is to increase taxation, or for the government to borrow more and more money. I think a lot of people will contest that this should be the course of action taken. There is no answer in the short term..

As far as your elderly lady is concerned. I would be quite sure that the relevant authorities are already fully aware of this lady.....

I totally agree with you Marmite, such a sorry state of affairs and no way out of it for the foreseeable future
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport