car insurance for pensioners - any recommendations??

Options
Anyone on this forum got some good positive stories on prices / deals / companies they have used please?

I am looking on behalf of my OAP dad (he does not have a PC or email account) and the prices are ridiculous!!

All help welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Parent is 78 and her insurance costs aren't much different to mine (no idea who she's with though, sorry.)
    Any other factors - points on licence etc that might be affecting it?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 8:47AM
    Options
    Follow the advice in the mse cheap car insurance guide on getting quotes

Link amongst quick links at the top of the page
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Naming no names, but avoid the company that also does cruises.

The commission they take as the policyholder gets older is disgusting, they simply milk older people for all they are worth.
  • Quentin
    edited 12 July 2017 at 9:21AM
    Options
    If you mean saga they usually do good deals for new customers (and offer cashback too via the usual sites)

And high scores on the reviews across the net
  • stockton_2
    stockton_2 Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    How old is he? Some insurance companies will not insure drivers 75+ but those that do can be quite reasonable, as elsien has said.

Even if he had a computer he might find difficulty getting quotes if he is 75+ or has health or other issues.

This is why comparison sites do not work for everyone and a broker might be more appropriate.

I find the Post Office useful but I used to use a local broker and they were good too.
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stockton wrote: »
    How old is he? Some insurance companies will not insure drivers 75+ but those that do can be quite reasonable, as elsien has said.

Even if he had a computer he might find difficulty getting quotes if he is 75+ or has health or other issues.

This is why comparison sites do not work for everyone and a broker might be more appropriate.

I find the Post Office useful but I used to use a local broker and they were good too.

Post Office is a Broker (BISL aka Budget).
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • wq0pco
    wq0pco Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    he was born in 1943 and the car is garaged overnight at home. I have tried the comparison sites as mentioned above, prior to creating this thread.

Seriously considering adding myself as a 2nd driver at this rate!!
  • stockton_2
    stockton_2 Posts: 336 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2017 at 12:00PM
    Options
    Why not ask advice from Age Concern? There are insurance companies that do not charge a premium on the basis of (older) age alone.
  • Quentin
    Options
    wq0pco wrote: »

Seriously considering adding myself as a 2nd driver at this rate!!
    If you read up the MSE guide to cheap car insurance you'd see that is a recommended wheeze to reduce premiums - even if you never going to actually drive it
  • wq0pco
    wq0pco Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stockton wrote: »
    Why not ask advice from Age Concern? There are insurance companies that do not charge a premium on the basis of age alone.

we did - price was ridiculous!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport