Wed 30th July - What small DFW things will you be doing today?

Options
allydowd
allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 30 July 2014 at 8:54AM in Debt-free wannabe
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym .

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending .

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important. :money:

Everyone is welcome to join in, even if you're just doing one small thing to improve your life. Just click "Post Reply" and get typing. Please don't be shy! Your idea might help someone else.
Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama

Comments

• allydowd
    Options
    Good evening everyone, I did not get around to posting this morning due to having some bad news last night.

Hope you're ok.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd
    edited 30 July 2014 at 4:35PM
    Options
    Morning DFW-Jedis,

I am up early-ish again to have another shot at my Masterplan For World Domination. Basically I have a huge list of stuff to over the next five days; some of it fun and some of it essential. I did well yesterday with the list, only being thwarted by the weather and if I can get to lunchtime today I'll be half way through my epic quest to deal with all the things that make me sigh with despair. So here I go:

Masterplan For World Domination Day Three:

:D Check online banking. Done.

:D Keep an eye on the book I'm trying to sell on eBay.

:D Do Nectar AdPoints. Done

:D Do i-Say surveys. None available.

:D Make own Tortilla wraps. Deferred from yesterday. Here's the recipe. (Link) Done. Total disaster. I made a new dish: Fried Cement. The rest of the dough has been converted into cheese straws and is currently baking. Looks ok.

:D Do some photography with OH when it gets dark tonight. Too poor visibility last night.

:D Clear up an issue with OH's Self-Assessment. Deferred from yesterday. Done. Industrial action at HMRC, limited number of advisers available.

:D Continue knitting hot water bottle cover. It's coming along nicely.

:D Deep clean the pantry using minimal products and washable cloths. I don't mind the odd cobweb but this is a gothic art installation. :(Oh my! That took a lot of cleaning. :o

:D Go for a free run with OH to coaching me. I run downhill like Usain Bolt and uphill like Old Granny Rickets. Done. I'm not built like a "runner" so I'm never gonna be great at it, but we had a good laugh videoing me for analysis.

:D Go kite flying if we get enough wind.

:D Entering another photographic competitions on OH's behalf. Done. Thanks Ziggy for that idea.

:D Decide whether to eBay any more books or DVDs. Decided not to.

:D Make Toad-In-The-Hole for dinner. Batter prepared.

Free and Easy Computer Clean-Up

I expect everyone has seen adverts on the internet for software that "makes your computer run faster" or "improves computer efficiency". Many of these programs are just an excuse to try to sell you something you don't need and a small minority are actually programs that will harm your pc. Did you know you already have these speed and efficiency programs built into your computer if you have Windows? They're called Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup. You've already bought them and they're not difficult to use, I promise. ;)

:D Defragment all computers to increase speed and space. Why should you do this? Well, if you run a computer on Windows files are automatically filed away for you in a really messy fashion. This means when your computer is running sometimes files get split up from their friends and this means when you ask your computer to do something very often the little robots inside your computer can't find what their looking for easily and have to hunt around for a file to do the simplest thing. If you use Window's built in Disk Defragmenter tool it will tidy up these broken and split files for you at no extra cost to yourself making your computer run quicker and more efficiently. How do you do this? If you have Windows XP or Windows 7: Start> All Programs> Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter > Click Analyse. This will start the process for you. After a little while it will tell you whether your system is so messy that it needs a to be Defragmented or not. If it says "You should Defragment" just click "Defragment" and it'll do it for you and after a few minutes it'll tell you it's finished. Simples! This can take a little while depending on how un-tidy your computer has got itself so don't start the program just before you want to shut down your computer. You can continue working on your computer while this utility is running. Done. Reunited over 8000 file fragments with the files they belong to!

:D Use Disk Cleanup on all computers. Why should you do this? Disk Cleanup is a free computer maintenance utility included in Microsoft Windows designed to free up disk space on a computer's hard drive. The utility first searches and analyses the hard drive for files that are no longer of any use, and then removes the unnecessary background files. This makes your computer run more quickly. How do you do this? If you have Windows XP or Windows 7: Start> All Programs> Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup>OK This will start the process for you. After a little while a box will pop-up showing your how mcuh space you can save. Click "OK" to delete the clutter. That's it. It's best to run Disk Cleanup after you've run Disk Defragmenter, by the way. I just run it on our home computers and deleted 3150MB of rubbish off one and 267MB of rubbish off the other.

:D Back up my Finances Spreadsheet by sending myself a copy in my email. Done

:D Update Virus Scanner and scan all computers. I use Avast, it's free and friendly and it has served me well for three years. (Link) Done. Fine. Phew!

Well that's me for today. Good luck on your quests, Jedis.

MONEY MAKING AND SAVING SITES AS OFTEN MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM:

• A Girl Called Jack, cheap recipes ( Link )
    • Benefits check-up ( Link )
    • Birthday Bingo, daily free game ( Link )
    • eBid ( Link )
    • Freecycle ( Link )
    • Free Postcode Lottery (Link)
    • FreeStuff ( Link )
    • FreeUKStuff ( Link )
    • i-Say Surveys (Link)
    • List of online newspapers. At bottom of the linked page. ( Link )
    • MSE Boost Your Income page. Gateway to lots of money-making links. ( Link )
    • MSE Abbreviations Explained ( Link )
    • MSE Deals and Vouchers ( Link )
    • MSE Wow Offers ( Link )
    • My Supermarket ( Link )
    • Nectar Points, AdPoints, Search Toolbar ( Link )
    • OnePoll ( Link )
    • Quidco ( Link )
    • Reclaim PPI at no cost to yourself ( Link )
    • SayNoTo0870 cheap phone number finder ( Link )
    • Survey sites that pay for your opinions ( Link )
    • Swagbucks ( Link )
    • Swapit ( Link )
    • Tesco Clubcard Free Movies and TV Shows Online ( Link )
    • Toluna ( Link )
    • TopCashBack ( Link )
  • MinnieMousesMummy
    MinnieMousesMummy Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 July 2014 at 6:14PM
    Options
    Good morning everyone, Hopefully today will be a productive day, as I have no mobile to distract as they are switched off due to numbers getting changed.

Ally – Thanks for starting the thread this morning. I'm fine thanks its my cat that not. He had disappeared for a few day but returned on Monday morning and I had to rush him through to the vets, as his jaw had dropped. He had bitten his tongue and it had become infected so due to his age and the level of infection the vet though it was best to end his suffering.

My list for today:
    Catch up with emailsDONE
    Get a quick shower
    Check online bankingDONE
    Make a list of what need to be done for next week
    Make a list of thing to get for next week
    Book a van to move remaining stuffDONE
    Spend an hour looking for freelance work
    Work on writing project for client
    Check ipollDONE
    Nectar AdpointsDONE, Not much there today
    Check one poll
    Sort out bank account
    Check free postcode lottery
    Download spending app onto new phone (a job for tonight as phone needs to be off till 6pm)
    Check birthday bingo
    Do mystery shop work that is in for todayDONE
    Hairdresser appointment
    Pick up the van
    Water plants
    Do some course work
    All meals from stores
    Read some of the alternative millionaire thread on this forum

Its a rather long list for me today so I best get a move on and make a start. Hope everyone has a good Wednesday x
  • cocoloco
    cocoloco Posts: 589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :wave:Hi Gang! :wave:

Thanks Ally for starting us off and for the guide about speeding up the computer- I sure can use this! :beer:

Last night with OH ended short when I fall a sleep on the sofa 10 minutes into the movie... At least we are off for a few days next week, too bad the in-laws will be around, bah-humbug! :p

Today's small savings include:

:starmod:B/L from stores, dinner will be curtesy of my evening work-lovely 'leftovers' for me and scraps for our baby dog. Last Saturday she had fillet steak scraps from work and since then she is disapointed when its back to normal food. :D

:starmod:Checked bank acc.- OH's wage still didn't show up, ask him chase it up! :think:

:starmod:Fill up hand wash bottles- I use up all oddments, samples of showergel, bubblebath, shampoo etc to re-fill handwash bottles. In the past I used Tesco value baby bath (was on offer at 9p per 500ml) but run out of it now. It makes some interesting combinations. :p

:starmod:Water down shampoos / shower gels / conditioners- my OH and DD use these as if there no tomorrow! :eek:There is lots of wastetage and this makes things last longer without missing out. TBH most bodywashes / shampoos are to thick for my likinging anyway.

Thats all from me now, will check back later. Hope you all have a good day! :T
    :p "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS FREE FOOD" :p
    'They can have my money but not my life!'
    :eek: Debt & mortgage free in 18 years :eek:
  • cocoloco
    cocoloco Posts: 589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :(Sorry to hear about you loss MinniMouseMummy! :(
    :grouphug:Hugs and positive thoughts sent to your way.:grouphug:
    :p "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS FREE FOOD" :p
    'They can have my money but not my life!'
    :eek: Debt & mortgage free in 18 years :eek:
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

ally - Thanks for starting us off today and thanks for all the great ideas and tips

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Well not sure where the sun has gone but at least its still warm and dry so bedding is out on the linealready, today I hope to achieve a few more bits from my weekly list:

Packed lunch for DH - Done
    Washing in & line dry - Done (loving this fab weather - bedding from sons room drying nicely on line)
    Start planning shopping list -
    Check calendar so I dont miss any birthdays/etc while we are away in Aug -
    Filing & Shredding -
    Check Banks - Done
    Check swapits - Done
    Ask OH nicely to fill "holes" in DS's room -
    Nectar Adpoints -
    Sort emails (& unsubscribe where possible) -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Re-list bits for sale - Done
    Read book (from stash) -
    Craft -
    Check www.freepostcodelottery.com -

Have a great day, love you all xx

C xx
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• allydowd
    Options
    Sorry about your cat MinnieMousesMummy.
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 July 2014 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Afternoon folks

ally - thanks for starting us off
    MMM - sorry to hear about your puss :(

Last night's dfw list went slight off plan (might have accidentally gone to the pub then ordered pizza :o )

Car has gone to the garage. Good job too, they think it's the cambelt tensioner. Quoted about £200. Grrrr. (OH just texted - apparently £168, that's a bit better!)

Today must be good then!!

• B/L/D from stores (mostly LO pizza!!)
    • Overtime
    • Charge phone in work
    • Check online banking (no surprises today)
    • Set up budget sheet as payslip arrived
    • Talk to OH about using cash envelopes for the fun fund
    • Put loaf of bread on overnight (must do this!!)
    • Log calories in free app
    • Watered garden and harvested 2 squashes
    Short list from me

Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • solvencyseeker
    Options
    Hello all

Having IT issues today and keep getting thrown off t'internet! So will try and type this very quickly.

Sorry about your cat MMM - I still miss mine and daren't get another with two terriers in the house.

Thanks for the start and the computer tips Ally. We found out how important it is to make sure you have good anti virus software earlier this year when out laptop was hacked (and money was taken from both bank accounts and someone later tried to use one of my credit cards). We did have AV software but it was [EMAIL="!!!!"]!!!![/EMAIL].

Top tip about watering down the shampoos etc cocloco. I have been know to refill Lynx bottles with Mr T's value brand and no one ever noticed. Hadn't thought about adding water though and my tribe go through tons of the stuff (they mostly buy their own now thankfully).

Today I drove to work - quite a novelty for me. All meals from stores. Will check online banking.

Later I MUST find out why we have 7 toothbrushes when there are 4 of us in the house. Suspect 1 belongs to sons girlfriend but that leaves 2 unaccounted for.

We also went to pub yesterday on the way home from work and I did no domestic chores :o...though we did cook the planned meal so I'm not as naughty as you CLF :beer:

Best wishes all x
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry about your cat MMM:( At least the poor baby is out of any pain.

Today I have/will:

1, Checked online banking
    2, Hair cut (cousin cuts it and it only costs £7)
    3, NSD apart from hair cut which was budgeted for.
    4, Surveys
    5, Free postcode lottery
    6, Meals from stores
    7, Picked up free bag of cat food
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure