We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help to identify these birds, please

Options
Excuse the blurry photo - I hope the markings are clear enough. This is the first time I've seen these two in my garden, and I'm not sure what they are.
66gm04.jpg

We have frequent visits by greenfinches and sparrows, but the markings on these two are new to me. They're certainly finch sized, and were hopping about under the sunflower heart feeder. There are a few different nests in the surrounding trees, so it's possible that they're youngsters and haven't got their adult plumage yet. Any ideas?
© Cuilean 2005. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Comments

• andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The lower one is a juvenile goldfinch, the other a female chaffinch
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The goldfinch is not long after fledging by the look of the feathers on its back. If you want to attract more goldfinches put up a feeder with niger seeds in.
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Goldfinches are seed eaters, whether it's seeds from flowers or weeds they munch the lot.
    If you want to encourage them, I recommend teasels - so easy to grow, and the dried flower head is good for winter flower displays too.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One word of warning about Teazels, they seed like mad and you will have a garden full in a few years, then your neighbours garden etc.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    One word of warning about Teazels, they seed like mad and you will have a garden full in a few years, then your neighbours garden etc.

Same with flippin niger seeds they germinate & grow faster than my vegetables !!
    I use sunflower hearts, the goldfinches love them.
    I have about 20 that come & sit on the feeders & pick out a sunflower heart & proceed to nibble at it until the fine outer husk drops off.
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the niger seeds I use are sterilised...have never had any germinate anyway. I will have a look tomorrow (seeds in shed) and let you know what sort it is. Teasels however do grow everywhere!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure