What benefit/allowance

Options
Hello all,

I am currently claiming ESA and have work focused interviews. I live opposite my mum who is 73. She receives pension credit and is not severely disabled. She has Glaucoma and high blood pressure but relies on me daily to go out with her or help her around the house, from opening jars to climbing a ladder to reach things, just general things that she could do herself but seems frightened to do anything.

In addition to that, my dad lives 140 miles away and has a multitude of illnesses. Chronic kidney disease stage 4/5 diabetes about to go on insulin and heart disease. Whilst he has never claimed benefit and probably has slightly too much income, he relies on me. He calls everyday asking to help use his phone or computer, contact hospitals regarding appointments and go to hospital appointments, which are becoming more frequent. He will have to have dialysis in the next year. I travel to see him once a fortnight or for appointments.

I receive ESA and at my last appointment they started pressuring me to start making a better effort to get into work. Suggesting being self employed and registering with universal job match. My problem is I spend most of my days help my parents and I am worried at my next interview they will stop my payment because I have not done what they said.

I don't need to claim anything really but I am stuggling with going to the interviews. It is making me ill now.

Thanks for listening

Comments

• Thecrazy1
    Options
    Is this the correct section to post in?
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Thecrazy1 wrote: »
    .....I don't need to claim anything really but I am stuggling with going to the interviews. It is making me ill now.

Thanks for listening
    You must have other income or savings, I presume, perhaps from mum or dad? Which the benefits authorities know about?

If you don't need it why are you continuing to claim, please? (A calm & polite question, not a criticism).
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is this the correct section to post in?

Yes, this is the correct forum.

This is a difficult one because it is possible for someone to claim Carer's Allowance if they look after someone for at least 35 hrs a week but the person they look after has to be receiving a qualifying benefit (in your parent's case - Attendance Allowance).

It might be worth your mum going with you to CAB and asking them if they think she would qualify for AA.

As regards your father, since he is so far away it is stretching it to suggest that you care for him 35 hrs a week (although all of that care does not need to be physically being there)

Again it is worth exploring if your dad is entitled to AA.

You say you do not need to claim benefits. May I ask if you are on contribution based ESA and which group (WRAG, I presume) and if if you have substantial savings? Plus, do you have a partner (working?)

If you could give more details about your situation we may be able to help more.

Of course, the other side of the problem is to explore organisations to assist both your dad and mum to take some of the caring responsibilities from you and allow you to do your work focused interviews.

I will check and see if there is anything about caring responsibilities regarding work focused interviews.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Options
    Have checked and you do have to be in receipt of Carer's Allowance or awaiting a decision for AA for the person you care for to waive or adjust your work related activities. Read this:

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/work-focused-interviews-work-related-activity
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Yes, this is the correct forum.

This is a difficult one because it is possible for someone to claim Carer's Allowance if they look after someone for at least 35 hrs a week but the person they look after has to be receiving a qualifying benefit (in your parent's case - Attendance Allowance).

It might be worth your mum going with you to CAB and asking them if they think she would qualify for AA.

As regards your father, since he is so far away it is stretching it to suggest that you care for him 35 hrs a week (although all of that care does not need to be physically being there)

Again it is worth exploring if your dad is entitled to AA.

You say you do not need to claim benefits. May I ask if you are on contribution based ESA and which group (WRAG, I presume) and if if you have substantial savings? Plus, do you have a partner (working?)

If you could give more details about your situation we may be able to help more.

Of course, the other side of the problem is to explore organisations to assist both your dad and mum to take some of the caring responsibilities from you and allow you to do your work focused interviews.

I will check and see if there is anything about caring responsibilities regarding work focused interviews.

I have to say that, on the bare bones outlined in the OP, I'd very much doubt if the mum would qualify for AA
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I live opposite my mum who is 73. She receives pension credit and is not severely disabled. She has Glaucoma and high blood pressure but relies on me daily to go out with her or help her around the house, from opening jars to climbing a ladder to reach things, just general things that she could do herself but seems frightened to do anything.

Keep a diary for a few days of all the things that you do for her.

That will give you an idea of how much help she needs.

If you think that she is capable of doing them for herself, could you encourage her to try before stepping in? As you get older, it's easy to lose your independence through anxiety.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2017 at 11:52AM
    Options
    You wait for one reply, then 6 come along all at once.....
    Hello all,

I receive ESA and at my last appointment they started pressuring me to start making a better effort to get into work. Suggesting being self employed and registering with universal job match. My problem is I spend most of my days help my parents and I am worried at my next interview they will stop my payment because I have not done what they said.

The Jobcentre or the work program provider cannot require you to look for work. Both of those things are (to me) "looking for work" actions.

If they persist, I would ask them...."Are you requiring me to look for work?" If they say "yes", ask them to put that statement in writing for you.
    If they say "No" ask them what are they requiring you to do. And ask them how registering on Universal Jobmatch is going to help you, if you cannot look for work.

You are required to take part and cooperate in Work Related Activity. This does not mean "look for work".
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    It is making me ill now.

Thanks for listening

Are you not already ill?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Keep a diary for a few days of all the things that you do for her.

That will give you an idea of how much help she needs.

If you think that she is capable of doing them for herself, could you encourage her to try before stepping in? As you get older, it's easy to lose your independence through anxiety.

the OP says the mother could do things for herself but chooses not to.

she wouldn't get awarded AA just because she didn't want to do things, she would need a valid reason to why she COULDNT do these things
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    the OP says the mother could do things for herself but chooses not to.

But that's why keeping a diary would be useful - so the OP can look objectively at what is being done and whether Mum could really do these things for herself.

If the diary is full of simple, easy things, the answer to build up Mum's confidence and encourage her to help herself.

However, when it's all down in black and white, the assessment of the help Mum needs may be different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure