Withdrawing a Universal Credit claim

Options
Hello all,

Basically I have been claiming UC but started working at the start of the month. Before I started work I notified the Job Centre who advised I am entitled to UC payments until my wages come through and I don't have to attend anymore and everything will sort itself out. My first wage is due next week and I'm wondering if there's any point leaving my claim open, especially now it's paid monthly.

My next Universal credit payment says '07 September 2017 to 06 October 2017' so am I right in thinking I won't get a penny anyway because I'm going to be paid my actual wage during that period ? I've had a similar situation in the past where I was getting JSA weekly and they paid me up until the week my first wage went through, so I'm unsure as to wether they will pay me up until the day before my wages.

They have lied and stolen from me in the past and I've had very negative experiences with them, I'm a bit paranoid they are going to try and screw me somehow, would it be better for me to withdraw the claim now or am I still entitled to help for the past few weeks ?

Comments

• annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    Even if you are working you might still be entitled to some top up on uc. Housing element as well. It depends on what you are earning..

It's paid four weeks in arrears. Which means you should get a final payment before you withdraw the claim. But how much you get will depend on how much you've earned during the assessment period

If you are due it next week it may have already been reported to the dwp by your employer.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Don't withdraw your claim. It can negate any payments.

Just let it carry on, tell them youre working, HMRC will update them on your wages and the claim will end naturally.
  • Rosetaylor31
    Options
    Please just cancel my claim
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Please just cancel my claim
    That won't be possible on an internet forum.

You've also commented on a thread that's 21 months old. You'd be better off starting your own thread with any questions you have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure