Vanguard VLS funds

Options
hi all,

trying to understand how the Vanguard LS 100 ACC works.

Let's say that today unit costs £100 and you buy £10,000 worth which equates to 1,000 units

After 20 years the unit is priced at £90. Does it mean that your investment will be worth £9,000? Where do we "gain" for investing in the long-term?

I am adding VLS100 to my basket (also including VLS60 and VLS80)...Looking at 10-15years minimum investment period before thinking of touching it...

AM I missing anything here?

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    You arent missing anything . You gain because after 20 years the price is very likely to be several times higher than the price now. One reason is that apart from capital growth of the underlying investments, all dividends are reinvested into the core fund. So you get a compound interest type return.

There is no point in holding VLS100 and VLS80 and VLS60 as they are all invested in the same underlying shares and bonds, just in different proportions.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am adding VLS100 to my basket (also including VLS60 and VLS80).

That is the only thing that is an issue here. Mixing and matching VLS versions is pointless. The same underlying assets are used with each version. So, you are just breaking the asset allocations with your management decisions.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ian-d
    ian-d Posts: 371 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    That is the only thing that is an issue here. Mixing and matching VLS versions is pointless. The same underlying assets are used with each version. So, you are just breaking the asset allocations with your management decisions.

I suppose that depends if there are differing timescales and risks though? I have VLS80 on money I need sooner (S&SISA) and VLS100 on money for the very long term (SIPP).
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pardal51 wrote: »
    Let's say that today unit costs £100 and you buy £10,000 worth which equates to 1,000 units

After 20 years the unit is priced at £90. Does it mean that your investment will be worth £9,000?

<snip>

AM I missing anything here?
    Yes, you're missing the fact that you somehow bought 1,000 units for the price of 100, so your £10,000 investment would have jumped to £90,000 - happy days! ;)
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 June 2017 at 5:13PM
    Options
    Your money can grow in two ways......capital appreciation because the stock price goes up and also reinvestment of dividends to buy more shares....that would be an Accumulation fund.

You might buy 50% VLS100 and 50% VLS80 is you wanted to synthesize a VLS90, but there really isn't much point in doing that IMHO, but your point about using less volatile investments in accounts that are ear marked for the short term is a good one.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • TrustyOven
    TrustyOven Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your money can grow in two ways......capital appreciation because the stock price goes up and also reinvestment of dividends to buy more shares....that would be an Accumulation fund.
    That would be an Income fund with the dividends manually reinvested ;)

The accumulation fund would not see you buy more shares in the fund, instead your share would increase in value, thus making it look like capital appreciation.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TrustyOven wrote: »
    That would be an Income fund with the dividends manually reinvested ;)

The accumulation fund would not see you buy more shares in the fund, instead your share would increase in value, thus making it look like capital appreciation.

Thanks, I hadn't realized that. In the US there's no Income or Accumulation versions of funds you just choose what to do with the dividends.....either reinvest or dump them to a money market fund if you need them as income.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Over here, you pick an Income version if you want the income paid out to the cash part of your account (which you could then choose to spend on buying more units of that fund, or another fund, or withdraw it to your bank, or just leave it there a while) ; when the fund goes ex-div the unit price falls and you'll get the cash.

With the Acc version the income collected from the portfolio of underlying companies is just reinvested back in those underlying companies as they never send you the dividends and the unit price doesn't drop. However, they still track what dividends they would have sent you if you'd opted to receive the divs in cash, so you can pay your taxes on it, because you've still earned it (though not relevant if you're using an ISA or pension wrapper).
  • ALostMachine
    Options
    pardal51 wrote: »
    I am adding VLS100 to my basket (also including VLS60 and VLS80)...
    What is the reason for buying all three?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What is the reason for buying all three?

Inexperienced investor?:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport