PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting a lodger, what is your experience?

Options
I am hoping to get a lodger, maybe next year. I do have a spare bedroom, but it does get used be family occasionally.
But I am thinking about getting the loft into spare accommodation.
I am not a tidy person, I have a dog; be maybe it will make me be tidier and be company for the dog.
Lodger must like dogs, but I guess they tend to keep themselves to themselves, depends on the relationship.
I may put my details online, for short term lodging, is it common?

Comments

• kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You sound like a nightmare to lodge with. Unless you're willing to give someone free run of everywhere except your bedroom (and any private bathroom), it's not for you.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you thought about cooking and washing facilities you are able to offer?

Unless you are willing to have someone living, eating and cooking in your home, then it is not for you.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    Options
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    Have you thought about cooking and washing facilities you are able to offer?
    Unless you are willing to have someone living, eating and cooking in your home, then it is not for you.

That is something that every home has, and is obviously an essential.
  • sevenhills
    Options
    kinger101 wrote: »
    You sound like a nightmare to lodge with. Unless you're willing to give someone free run of everywhere except your bedroom (and any private bathroom), it's not for you.

On the up side, my dog is very likeable, but if they dont like dogs, I guess my house is not for them.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We've had 4 lodgers, overall a good experience with all of them. One was a bit untidy and smelly for my liking, but I do like a clean tidy home. Do not expect a lodger to be cleaner or tidier than you are- if you leave pots in the sink and washing drying for days on end, you can't expect your lodger to wash up after each meal and only dry clothes for the minimum time. Be clear in your ad - "must like dogs and a bit of creative mess, Kim and Aggie need not apply" people will get the message. And don't tidy for viewings. Your family wouldn't be able to use the room at all, and neither would you.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As long as you are upfront about your lifestyle, your pets, your expectations of a lodger etc, then there's a lodger out there for you.

It's all aout matching - a bit like dating. If you're not tidy yourself, you can't expect/demand a tidy lodger, but there are plenty of untidy, dog-loving lodgers aroud!

The attic conversion you need to research. You'll need Building regulations certification (the floor mayy need strengthening, the access must conform for safety, the insulation must be right etc etc).

You might need Panning ermission eg to install roof lights etc esp if the property is listed or in a Conservation Area.

This may help too:

LODGERS (Licencees/Excluded Occupiers)
    A lodger (broadly) lives in the same property with a resident landlord & shares facilities. Unlike tenants, lodgers have few rights.

The Housing Act 1988 provides definitions of 'Resident Landlord' & 'same property' (S31 & Schedule 1 (10).

See:

LodgerLandlord (21 tips from solicitor Tessa Shepperson + General information site)

Landlordzone (Various articles on taking in lodgers)

Renting out rooms in your home (Government info)

Rent a Room Scheme (HMRC guide for tax-free income from lodgers)
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    If your family only stay at weekends maybe think of mon-fri lets if there's demand in your area.
    Although there are slightly more demands on you (changing linens) but you get your home to yourself at the weekends.
  • sevenhills
    Options
    Rambosmum wrote: »
    Be clear in your ad - "must like dogs and a bit of creative mess, Kim and Aggie need not apply" people will get the message. And don't tidy for viewings. Your family wouldn't be able to use the room at all, and neither would you.

As I get closer to getting a lodger I will do more tidying and could even pay for a cleaner, living on your own does make me not care about the house. It gets tidier when people come to visit.
    Not sure if I want the loft bedroom to be fully compliant, I may sleep up there if family stay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure