M&S Current Account

Options
Is there any difference between opening the M&S current account in-store rather than online - in particular are they more likely to want ID documents in-store compared to the online process? I cannot see anything on their website about what ID may be required for either process.

The £125 + 12x£5 gift card offer has been running a while and I'm getting to the point where I doubt it will be increased so I'm thinking of taking the plunge before the offer ends.

I live close to a store, so it isn't a problem to open in-store if there is no disadvantage of doing so. The only one I can think of is my passport has expired which might be an issue if they want to see it in-store rather than doing an electronic ID check.

Any tips would be much appreciated. :)
"In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"

Comments

• datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not all stores have branches in them. I opened mine online it was very straight forward. I had a minor issue with one of my DDs but that was sorted and I got my switch bonus. I now get the £5 a month from them on my gift card. I also have their monthly saver account. The account is far from perfect. You get a small key pad that you have to use every single time you log into your account. There is not a decent banking app, it is only a balance checker at present. However, you can use the M&S banking website with in the Chrome app on Android.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd ring your local branch and ask them your question. Some of them, including my nearest, are open today, Sunday.

But there would need to be a distinct advantage, rather than no disadvantage, to make me sit through an hour of someone reading a script to me!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    datlex wrote: »
    ...The account is far from perfect...
    Thanks, the account is only to benefit from the switching bonus and access the the regular saver, so I can live with the foibles ;)
    But there would need to be a distinct advantage, rather than no disadvantage, to make me sit through an hour of someone reading a script to me!
    Thanks, I'll make that phone call unless anyone else has recent experience. I think they do a nice coffee and biscuits, which might be enough for me to sit through anything ;)

Seriously though, my erratic income and lack of full-time employment has made some applications difficult in the past. The problem is usually resolved by a visit to a branch. Given some of the comments about M&S elsewhere on the board I'm tempted to avoid any problems by skipping the online application and just going into branch armed with proof of my savings and investment income :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • LuSiVe
    LuSiVe Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Make an appointment. Whenever I've gone on the off chance they wouldn't see me.
  • Jeems
    Jeems Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hijack the thread but those already with the account, can you confirm the 2 DD's just need to be active on the account for you to get the £5 monthly top up, or do they need to actually pay out?

Many thanks
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jeems wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but those already with the account, can you confirm the 2 DD's just need to be active on the account for you to get the £5 monthly top up, or do they need to actually pay out?

Many thanks
    Yes they do need to be active. On mine I have one to a post office savings account and one to a Tesco savings account so I don't lose the money.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Jeems wrote: »

Many thanks

Be careful. I spoke to M&S, who told me the CCs need to pay out before you switch.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »
    Be careful. I spoke to M&S, who told me the CCs need to pay out before you switch.
    CCs? DDs? OOs?
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    DDs...my mistake.
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mchambers wrote: »

when i phoned to arrange the switch after the account opened, they also asked me to ensure that at least two of the dd's switched had been claimed on the old account as they are not classed as fully active by them if they have never been claimed.
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure