Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

50 things in 2 years - for what would have been my sisters 50th birthday

Options

Comments

• allykerr_1
    Options
    That was the main issue I found with trying to help out - an awful lot require a weekly commitment and I just don't have the time to fit that in. I'm surprised charities don't find a way to incorporate people who want to help occasionally. That's why I liked the sound of the Speed Volunteering. My first thoughts were to help out in a charity kitchen but they all wanted a minimum of once a week every week. Some of the volunteering will be helping out on a random basis, like running people to appointments so it should be easy enough to fit in. Thank you for the other suggestions, I'll look into how I can fit them in too!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I noticed that you had quite a few animal based charity ideas so I have a few different suggestions:
    I note you live in the London area. If you are near the following areas there are doubtless volunteer vacancies at the Blue Cross animal hospitals based in Victoria, Hammersmith & Merton. Saying that they probably want regular slots.

These are more 'opened ended'
    How about being an education volunteer for the Blue Cross? Talking about how we look after pets for the next generation?- in school if you are available in school time, or youth groups such as Scouts, Brownies etc in the evening. Full training given

or a speaker for either of these small charities-
    Medical Detection dogs (saving lives)- train dogs to alert for diabetes or test for cancer and more
    http://medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk/
    Dogs for Good (changing lives)- train dogs for disabled adults & children,autistic children, alzheimers....
    https://www.dogsforgood.org/

Oh dear we have hijacked Mum2One's thread but guess she won't mind too too much!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Don't be daft - its nice to see someone else doing a challenge - like me sort off the typical I can give a week/day/etc.

I've done no 6 - dropped some clothes to charity shop, normally I'd ebay/fb sellers 1st - no its for a good cause, - local charity shop - related to councelling - (it ties in with the family element) xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    edited 9 December 2015 at 4:26PM
    Options
    Just thought no 7
    At my DDs old primary school, I stayed in touch with the PTA, for there Xmas fayre I voluntered to source prizes for the main draw.

I had a nice selection (even if I say so myself)
    inc
    Boat trip on local river
    fish and chips
    museum pass
    tickets for local football ground
    yr pass for local farm
    family pass - another local venue.

I'm also doing the summer fayre prizes for them xx
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mum2one wrote: »
    Just thought no 7
    At my DDs old primary school, I stayed in touch with the PTA, for there Xmas fayre I voluntered to source prizes for the main draw.

I had a nice selection (even if I say so myself)
    inc
    Boat trip on local river
    fish and chips
    museum pass
    tickets for local football ground
    yr pass for local farm
    family pass - another local venue.

I'm also doing the summer fayre prizes for them xx

Well done, keep it up!
    Must say you managed to get some really good prizes, and I know from experience how hard it is to get those things.....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mum2one, those are brilliant prizes.

Allykerr - with the knitting/crafting charities you could just send in one item so they don't have to be a committment
  • allykerr_1
    Options
    Thanks for all the lovely ideas. My year has now started, and I've taken lots of ideas from other forum users here so thanks!

If anyone is interested/bored, I've started a blog about it here...

beginathome.wordpress.com

Thanks to everyone for their help and to mum2one for letting me hijack her thread!

Cheers

Alex
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I've been asked if I can do the prizes for the school summer fayre, got mum plodding along with the baby hats, - get them off in the new yr xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Another one - sounds daft - we had a clear out of tree decs, found a small tree never used - where normally would have just put it on Facebook sellers - I didn't I put it on freecycle - had about 12 requests - picked the one that meant the most - nearest to my aims - a family lost a close relative Xmas time - tree offer came at the right time - whereas a can have a 2nd one here or a 3rd here.

Merry Christmas x
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I have slowed down a bit with Xmas / New Year and time away, I took a trip of a lifetime with DD - went to lapland, it was one of the most amazing experiences, everything was a highlight and a wow moment...

I'm going to have a collect together of the items for the angel babies, - post those off at the end of the week, I've got a pattern for prem booties, so will add them into the knitting plan.

Get some more stuff sorted xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family