How common is it to have pay deducted for sick days?

Options
12346»

Comments

• PossiblyOverworked
    PossiblyOverworked Posts: 59 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2017 at 6:45PM
    Options
    Is there some element of "unauthorised deductions" from pay here? If they are "charging" you 1/240th of your salary for a sick day, but you actually work 260 days in a year... surely you are being paid less than you should be for the remaining days?

(I know they aren't really "charging" for a sick day just not paying it, but that was the easiest way to describe it.)

Say your salary is £12000 (for ease of working out the numbers) so £1000 a month, 1/20th of that is £50 which would be deducted from that month's salary, but the actual remainder of the days worked isn't 19 (except in a few cases) but would be more like 20, 21, 22 which is then a lower rate than your contractual pay if you worked it out per day/hour. Your remaining pay in that month would be £950 but that could be for 22 days work rather than 19, and obviously works out to less per hour (I make it a difference of £7 for a day on a salary of £12k but I may have made a mistake somewhere!)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We don;t get paid for the first 3 days of sick, i imagine its to doscourage people from taking time off but its a pain when you have a chronic condition, i just have to accept i don't get paid if i'm sick (technically there are times i could have had a week off but i dislike being off sick so usually its no longer than a day or too, unless my medication has been changed)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps by taking some responsibility for themselves, although I know that is getting less and less fashionable these days!

Seriously, people need to budget and having a rainy day fund should be one of their highest priorities. If they only get SSP then they need to put some money aside to at least cover the difference for a month or more.
    Easier said than done when you have a disability that limits how many hours you can work, when you already live in the cheapest accomodation possible, and when you're in debt due to said disability.

I try and save part of my wage and have nearly paid off 1/4 of my debt but it still means there;s not much going spare. Once thats gone obviously i can put some aside for a rainy day.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Is there some element of "unauthorised deductions" from pay here? If they are "charging" you 1/240th of your salary for a sick day, but you actually work 260 days in a year... surely you are being paid less than you should be for the remaining days?

(I know they aren't really "charging" for a sick day just not paying it, but that was the easiest way to describe it.)

Say your salary is £12000 (for ease of working out the numbers) so £1000 a month, 1/20th of that is £50 which would be deducted from that month's salary, but the actual remainder of the days worked isn't 19 (except in a few cases) but would be more like 20, 21, 22 which is then a lower rate than your contractual pay if you worked it out per day/hour. Your remaining pay in that month would be £950 but that could be for 22 days work rather than 19, and obviously works out to less per hour (I make it a difference of £7 for a day on a salary of £12k but I may have made a mistake somewhere!)

This is the key point the OP needs to raise with their employer.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    We don;t get paid for the first 3 days of sick, i imagine its to doscourage people from taking time off but its a pain when you have a chronic condition, i just have to accept i don't get paid if i'm sick (technically there are times i could have had a week off but i dislike being off sick so usually its no longer than a day or too, unless my medication has been changed)

Check the rules for Linked periods of sickness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure