Has anyone tried one of those "try for 100 days" mattresses?

Options
Just wondered if anyone has any experience of those 100 day trial mattresses? There seem to be a few about (Eve, Casper, Simba...) they look like they are similar but claim to be made differently.

They don't seem to vary the firmness and I worry about how warm they get at night. I know it's possible to trial a mattress but really- if I do this and it doesn't work out and I need to hand the mattress back, I can't store my old one just-in-case, and having to wait to hand back a mattress would mean I wouldn't get a refund straight away to go out and find another more suitable type, I'd be bed-less for a few days/a week before having my money back to go searching again.

Has anyone got any experience comparing the several online-only types? Has anyone got any experience where they were able to compare between each of them?

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I doubt that they would have any use for a used mattress,so probably put all kinds of obstacle in your way, should you want to do a return. Try one in a local showroom and if over heating is your problem,you can buy cooling mats and pillow pads to help.
  • Empor
    Empor Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    I got a Simba on Wednesday. UPS did "try" to deliver it on Tuesday, I stayed in all day only to find a card later saying no-one was in. !!!!!!!! UPS - anything to do with not wanting to deliver a 29kg box up two flights of stairs?

They stock them at John Lewis so I had a quick test there first. So far, it's ok, but I'll have to wait and see how it goes. It is a bit softer than I'm used to, and the memory foam top is warmer. It's got quite a strong (bad) new mattress smell but I'll assume this will go away.

I have slept quite well on it to be fair, and being from John Lewis I would have thought the 100 day trial would be honoured. Not thrown away the old mattress yet though just in case.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My experience of a memory foam mattress (not any of the brands mentioned) is that it is not only uncomfortably clammy but it lacks 'bounce' compared to a spring mattress. This means that when I turn over it takes a while for the mattress to rise up and meet my changed position.

If you want to try memory foam then I'd suggest getting a topper to go on your existing mattress, as this will give some 'bounce' and also be cheaper than a new mattress.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I doubt that they would have any use for a used mattress,so probably put all kinds of obstacle in your way, should you want to do a return. Try one in a local showroom and if over heating is your problem,you can buy cooling mats and pillow pads to help.

Maybe helpful if you could read the offer from the mattress companies before posting- they all offer a try for 100 days offer and you can return at any time after having tried. It's just that your reply doesn't make much sense in terms of the offer they each have and the question I asked.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My experience of a memory foam mattress (not any of the brands mentioned) is that it is not only uncomfortably clammy but it lacks 'bounce' compared to a spring mattress. This means that when I turn over it takes a while for the mattress to rise up and meet my changed position.

If you want to try memory foam then I'd suggest getting a topper to go on your existing mattress, as this will give some 'bounce' and also be cheaper than a new mattress.

The thing is, despite normally getting very warm at night when I sleep, I slept on a Tempur mattress for a week (my aunt has them) and no issues at all. I'm not sure what others find when it comes to memory foam and if there are good or bad memory foam types or something.
  • teddysmum
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Maybe helpful if you could read the offer from the mattress companies before posting- they all offer a try for 100 days offer and you can return at any time after having tried. It's just that your reply doesn't make much sense in terms of the offer they each have and the question I asked.
    So sorry to have upset you so much that your reply was warranted.;)
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Found this thread after doing a lot of research are considering one. From all the reviews give read, it really is a no-quibble return policy. They all appreciate it won't suit 100% of the population.

Trying to decide between the Simba, Bruno and OTTY.

Most actually have the memory foam below the top surface, or use an alternative like latex. Not many have complaints of being too hot (like with a memory foam mattress). Usually it's where a mattress protector has been used. They suggest alternatives, or offer their own version.

Will let you know what I choose and think. Won't be for a while as moving house first.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have often wondered what happens to all these used mattresses - there must be many people who do not like them and take advantage of the trial period to return them.
  • teddysmum
    Options
    When I was looking for a memory foam pillow (they vary so much in feel and quality) , a lady who was also looking commented on how soft some were ,adding that she regretted buying her Tempur mattress as, after a while, she found it too firm.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i'm definitely a convert to latex mattresses after having a foam mattress for about 8 years - the foam was ok but gradually seemed to loose its firmness - i have had my latex mattress for 3 years now and it's not really changed at all and has kept its firmness well - the only downside is that its not so easy to flip as it weighs a ton compared with foam!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure