RBS branch closures

Options

Comments

• stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    There's something wrong with that list. Our local branch is listed, it closed earlier this year.

Personally I don’t trust the suns media reporting lol

This list might be more accurate:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/12/royal-bank-of-scotland-natwest-ulster-branch-closures-locations/
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,568 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    There's something wrong with that list. Our local branch is listed, it closed earlier this year.

Agree. The list is not at all accurate.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    Personally I don’t trust the suns media reporting lol
    ....which does rather beg the question of why you cited it without any such qualification in post #8 above!
  • stclair
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    ....which does rather beg the question of why you cited it without any such qualification in post #8 above!

It was the first list I came across at the time then others became available namely which’s.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    A shame as their ATMs dispense £5 notes which is handy.

Not all of them, and they're by no means unique.

Link provide a facility to check any ATM, including whether it dispenses £5 notes.

https://www.link.co.uk/consumers/locator/

And while I hesitate to cite The Sun as a source, given what else has happened in this thread, they do report that an App version of the Link locator is available.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3460899/new-app-reveals-your-nearest-free-cash-point-and-even-tells-you-which-ones-dispense-5-notes/
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here’s a list of NatWest Branches earmarked for clousure;

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5041069/natwest-bank-closures-branches-job-losses/
    That was the 'old list' of banks that closed this year.

The 'new list' is, I think, beginning to emerge now.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

It is and I see with some regret that the 3 closest branches to my parents in SW London are all closing - including the one my mother has her account with.

Slightly ironic as the closest branch (Southfields) has played on the fact that its been there for over 100 years - and it is normally very busy with long queues (not helped by the fact they removed most of the counters when they modernised the branch) and dread to think what the queues will be like at the remaining branches when this round of closures has happened.

I note that most of these closures won't be until mid-2018 by which time paying in cheques via an app/image will be possible which means that most personal customers won't have much reason to go inside branches reguarly (especially if they still have access to free ATMs)

I feel most sorry for the local businesses who rely on the branches for cash deposits/withdrawals though.
  • stclair
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    It is and I see with some regret that the 3 closest branches to my parents in SW London are all closing - including the one my mother has her account with.

Slightly ironic as the closest branch (Southfields) has played on the fact that its been there for over 100 years - and it is normally very busy with long queues (not helped by the fact they removed most of the counters when they modernised the branch) and dread to think what the queues will be like at the remaining branches when this round of closures has happened.

I note that most of these closures won't be until mid-2018 by which time paying in cheques via an app/image will be possible which means that most personal customers won't have much reason to go inside branches reguarly (especially if they still have access to free ATMs)

I feel most sorry for the local businesses who rely on the branches for cash deposits/withdrawals though.

Personally I’m surprised theyve not transfered all rbs customers to the NatWest brand and vice versa in Scotland then this would enable to close loads of branches.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've noticed several on the list either at Universities or in University towns/cities.

All very well saying people prefer to do their banking online, but a lot of students - especially overseas ones - have to go into a branch on a fairly regular basis to sort stuff out.

Presumably RBS have decided that business from these students is not worth having, which is odd given the lengths some banks go to to get new student custom.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm guessing they have looked at the footfall and business from the various branches and decided that students are not using those branches to any great extent.

I see no reason why overseas students should need to go in regularly as they wouldn't, in all probability, qualify for a UK bank account. The reverse doesn't happen. My daughter didn't step into a Spanish bank for the whole of her year there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure