Traferring a main account for first time in years

Options
2»

Comments

• stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a trial first switch i would suggest switching the barclays to halifax simply because there is very little can go wrong, £125 incentive paid lightning quick time, you won't have to set any direct debits or pay in a minimum to meet t&c's unless you want the £3 per month, i've done it twice works perfect.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    stehouk wrote: »
    As a trial first switch i would suggest switching the barclays to halifax simply because there is very little can go wrong, £125 incentive paid lightning quick time, you won't have to set any direct debits or pay in a minimum to meet t&c's unless you want the £3 per month, i've done it twice works perfect.

I was going to post that I'd recommend switching to Halifax first, as a stepping stone, before switching again to HSBC. There is no point missing out on the free £125 from Halifax! The OP would still need to set up two standing orders for the HSBC switch, but whether they did that while still with Barclays, or once switched to Halifax, wouldn't matter. The Halifax switching bonus is paid so quickly (and the terms and conditions so simple, i.e. switch your account) that this double switch can easily be achieved in the time scale.
  • locka
    locka Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your help it has been much appropriated. I righting in thinking that technically my share dividends should go with me?

I shall take the advise which as I see it is

Switch Barclays to Halifax and then switch to HSBC afterwards. Making sure I setup two Standing orders to switch the money over.

Next job is to work out how to invest my 40k +
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport