Is there such a thing as a truly independant IFA

Options

Comments

• Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ... errr ... because they're going to charge you a load of money?

I wouldn't trust an IFA as far as I could throw one :) They can NOT see into the future. And neither can I. You can either flip a coin, or .. as they'd rather you do ... pay out time & time again to have them regularly review things and make the "necessary" modifications and adjustments each time.
    Couple of questions for you:

1. What do you have against charging someone for providing a service? Should I assume from this that you have worked for free your entire life and never shop anywhere which charges you more than the raw material cost for whatever you're buying? This is clearly an absurdity, but your "fatal flaw" can be applied to literally any product or service for which you need to pay money. Yes, someone can invest their own money if they wish, but many people value their time quite highly and would therefore prefer to get a professional to do it for them. Much like plumbing, accounting, car servicing, home building, etc.

2. Where have any IFAs claimed to be able to see into the future? I certainly haven't, and I always tell my clients that the future investment performance of anything is uncertain (for that matter I always explain that uncertainty is present in pretty much every aspect of their financial planning). My job is to put together a flexible over-arching strategy and to guide clients towards a long term outcome, reacting as necessary to unexpected developments. For this, I charge a fee which will not break the bank. Where precisely is the "fatal flaw" in all of this?
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • Velcro_Hotdog
    Velcro_Hotdog Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    Ask to see the IFAs research it will show you if he or she is independant. The research should show you your current pension provision (number of pots, charges, restrictions, growth, funds etc) then show a comparison to the latest pensions on the market. The results should be there in black and white with either a recommendation to stick or switch.

I really don't understand the IFA bashing on this site, do the same IFA bashers hate mechanics as much? You can do a DIY fix on your car can't you.... whats the worst that could happen
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 March 2013 at 10:24AM
    Options
    I wish I had your faith. Unfortunately I have heard too many horror stories from friends to be able to be so confident, hence me asking the question!

Most people I know havent even used an IFA. Most have used FAs or mortgage advisers. Research from a consumer group a few years back found that over half the people that used tied sales reps and agents thought they were seeing an IFA.

Also, if there are so many horror stories, how come IFAs only have 1% of complaints at the FOS and the majority rejected by the FOS? The FOS even commended IFAs back in November as an example of what is being done right. No-one can claim perfection but most of the time, these things are IFAs getting blamed when it wasnt an IFA or a complete misunderstanding of what an IFA does. This thread has examples where some posters dont understand what an IFA does. I have heard people say over the years that one investment they had was bad but the next one they did was really good. In reality, it had nothing to do with the investment. It was timing. One went through a crash, the other went through a growth period. They slag off the one that went through the crash but think the other one is great. In many cases, the original one was better and would have been cheaper for them to stay in it. Often, people in that situation tend to be quite opinionated and dont want it explained to them and dont listen if you try.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • GhIFA
    GhIFA Posts: 619 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2013 at 2:32PM
    Options
    With respect, how the heck does "I have heard too many horror stories from friends" become "Your horror stories are 3/4th hand from many who do not understand pensions or money in fact."?!

While I have no real desire to slate IFAs (I'll leave that to others lol), it's clear on here that some of you feel they can never do any wrong.

All the experts got endowments wrong, but hey, that's life, no case to answer, they got their money, it's the poor b*ggers who put faith in them that lost out.

All this is not to say there aren't good, clever, conscientious IFAs etc., but for me the undoubted love-in, and excuses for bad practice and outcomes that goes on in here just grates somewhat.

Also, going by the sweeping generalisations being bandied about on this thread, and others around the forum (don't trust them, references to "grubby mitts", want to take money over and over again etc) it's also clear that there are some who feel we can never do any right.

It's true that there have been bad practices in the past, and I never have, or ever would, defend anyone in my industry that has indulged in them. But the fact is that there has been a huge effort over recent years to clean things up, and make the industry more professional.

I pride myself on the fact that I put my clients interests first, and in my years as an adviser have never had a complaint made in respect of any advice given, or had any clients move to other advisers because they are unhappy with the service I have given. I have a good quality client bank, many of whom are very wealthy and intelligent people, and recognise the value in the what I do for them. I enjoy what I do, and I enjoy working with clients to help achieve their goals - there is a great degree of personal satisfaction in that. But, I have to make a living as well, and don't have a problem with saying that, and my clients don't have a problem with paying fees for that service.

The reality is that in any walk of life there are good and bad, and those that will indulge in malpractice. Doesn't mean that you should tar all with the same brush. I don't know what the IFA-Bashers on this thread do for a living, but I'm sure they would share the same frustrations if they were put in the same league as their peers who have stretched or broken the rules.

There will be those in life who are confident enough to give anything a go themselves (not just talking about financial planning here), and there will be those that aren't and would prefer to pay a professional (I do it myself in areas I'm not skilled in) - there's nothing wrong in that. I don't judge those who choose DIY investment (in fact, good luck to them) so don't see why those who don't want to should be judged - it's not to everyone's tastes.

In answer to the OP - the simple answer to your question is yes, the advisers you are looking for are out there, and it's already been mentioned where you can go to look for these.

Sensitive?? Not at all, just frustrated by people who have no idea how I operate as a professional making ill-informed comments on the basis of actions by a minority, which is no different to any other walk of life.

And as for the "love-in" - kind of ironic don't you think, given how all the "bashers" on here keep on thanking each other for the anti-IFA posts.
    I am an IFA. Any comments made on this forum are provided for information only and should not be construed as advice. Should you need advice on a specific area then please consult a local IFA.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 March 2013 at 12:18PM
    Options
    Whilst I am certain that there are some excellent IFA's out there, and I have no problem whatsoever paying for advice that will be beneficial,

First make sure you know the answers (post 3).
    Then see https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/categories/transferring-between-pension-schemes

If any of the pensions are FS/DB you'd need an IFA sign off to transfer.
  • UsernameAlreadyExists
    Options
    GhIFA wrote: »
    Self justification
    Your entire "profession" has no tangible value. You're not accountable for your actions, and whatever advice you provide is given with the disclaimer that there's always a risk.

Your existance is funded by leeching off the wealth of others by "telling them what to do" with their money using your calculator and crystal ball. The advice of "balanced portfolios" is a complete cop out. If something is losing, it be being compensated by something else gaining .. well duh! You might as well suggest "buy low, sell high" - that's as equally as obvious - but what matters is when. And you don't know that.

You can't measure your value or success rate and you can't even compare one IFA to another, it really is pot luck and depends which way the wind is blowing at the time.

You're think you're "good" because no one has complained about you? What's a fantastic reference!
  • GhIFA
    Options
    Your entire "profession" has no tangible value. You're not accountable for your actions, and whatever advice you provide is given with the disclaimer that there's always a risk.

Your existance is funded by leeching off the wealth of others by "telling them what to do" with their money using your calculator and crystal ball. The advice of "balanced portfolios" is a complete cop out. If something is losing, it be being compensated by something else gaining .. well duh! You might as well suggest "buy low, sell high" - that's as equally as obvious - but what matters is when. And you don't know that.

You can't measure your value or success rate and you can't even compare one IFA to another, it really is pot luck and depends which way the wind is blowing at the time.

You're think you're "good" because no one has complained about you? What's a fantastic reference!

Congratulations, the way you've edited my quote is absolutely hilarious - I don't think I'll stop laughing all afternoon.

No, I think I'm good at what I do because my clients are more than satisfied with what I do for them. I don't "tell" anyone what to do. I "letch" off no-one.

If you can't compare one IFA to another then surely it means the generalisations you continually throw around have no value either, as it is just "pot luck".

You think you're clever because you make all these assumptions about how I act, yet you can't even engage in a reasoned debate, and just go around throwing around wildly inaccurate statements. Very intelligent.
    I am an IFA. Any comments made on this forum are provided for information only and should not be construed as advice. Should you need advice on a specific area then please consult a local IFA.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Amanda65 wrote: »
    and if so, how do I find them ?

We really need to tidy up our finances and one area we seriously need to look at are hubby's pensions - he has about 7! Sadly his works history has been somewhat disjointed due to redundancy but everywhere has involved in him enrolling in a pension scheme and we get so much post relating to them. I am sure that we may be better off amalgamating them if we can - or maybe not - and therein lies our problem.

Over the years every financial advisors we have dealt with seems to have benefitted alot from the advice given (inlcuding one who I believe now lives in a tax haven :eek::eek:) and I am a nasty suspicious person who really just wants some honest and practical advice.

Any ideas ???

You have initiated an interesting debate. I am not a financial advisor of any kind. I do agree with the IFAs on here who profess that they are "not guilty" for the perceived crimes of those Financial Advisors who are tied to specific companies. Like you I was bitten by the FAs of the endowment era and have never fully trusted financial advisors of any kind since. However, I have to agree that present day IFAs are much more indepedendent, due to the regulatory regieme they operate within.

Whether an IFA can ever be truly independent I doubt, since they are subject to the hard sell from financial product providers and cannot hope to be expert in all of them and there is always the possibility that they advocate products they are familiar with. All we punters can hope for is that an IFA acts with integrity and gives us better advice than we would get from our own efforts.

I have used an IFA on a couple of occasions a few years ago. I have no reason to believe that either was not independent. Where I have the time, I prefer to make my own choices but who can say whether I have done better, worse or as well as the professional. I do agree however that the "labourer is worthy of their hire".

Of course if you ask for advice on the specific matter of concern on this forum you will get a lot of good advice from IFAs that you can compare with the suggestions of your chosen IFA.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

My you have had a bad experience!

Suppose you decide to invest in a pension of your choice? Have you selected a good one or one that is less good? Does your choice not have risk attached to it? Do you not make a judgement of how its invested? Do you not make balance decisions to have more or less risk?

What service does not involve leeching? Is your garage leeching off those who cannot repair their own car when they ask it to service a car? Is your builder leeching when you ask for a new roof?

But you do have a point that its very difficult for a punter to know if IFA1 with Advice A will outperform IFA2 with Advice B. I would be interested to know what an IFA thinks on that question. Obviously you cannot predict the future but it might be good to compare the quality of the advice at a point in the future!
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • GhIFA
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »
    My you have had a bad experience!

Suppose you decide to invest in a pension of your choice? Have you selected a good one or one that is less good? Does your choice not have risk attached to it? Do you not make a judgement of how its invested? Do you not make balance decisions to have more or less risk?

What service does not involve leeching? Is your garage leeching off those who cannot repair their own car when they ask it to service a car? Is your builder leeching when you ask for a new roof?

But you do have a point that its very difficult for a punter to know if IFA1 with Advice A will outperform IFA2 with Advice B. I would be interested to know what an IFA thinks on that question. Obviously you cannot predict the future but it might be good to compare the quality of the advice at a point in the future!

It's not about "outperforming" though - it isn't purely measured on performance, it's about the effectiveness of the overall planning, in line with what the client's objectives are. Purely making a decision on the basis of performance is ineffective. Any IFA that makes a recommendation purely on the ability to outperform a particular benchmark is, in my opinion, not doing the job properly.

Bear in mind that there is also a degree of subjectivity to the planning advice as well - different advisers with different experience would suggest different approaches - that doesn't mean that either approach is less justifiable or appropriate than the other, but on that very basis it is likely to give different results.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure