Is there a fundamental difference between replacing & changing your driving licence?

Options
Sorry if this sounds like a weird question. My sister recently lost her purse, searched the house up and down and we are coming to the conclusion that it's lost. Called up the local Sainsbury's and all other stores she went to and it hasn't turned up.

No activity has been spotted on the cards but she said if she can't find it tomorrow she'll cancel and order new cards. So, included in the purse was her driving licence and online it states it's £20 to replace.

However, I changed address twice in relatively quick succession and each time they sent me a new licence for free with the updated address. Theoretically, I was thinking she could change her address to our, for example, mum's one and get another licence then change it again to her current address. This way she does not pay the £20 fee.

Now, to be clear this is NOT something she is doing as it is simply not worth the hassle. With that said, I wanted to know if there is a difference between getting a licence replaced and updating a licence. For example, if you break your bank card, they will simply send you a new one with the same number etc. However, if it is lost or stolen they will send you one with a new number.

Is there something similar with a licence?

Comments

• BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Ask yourself; if some random stranger who looks a bit like you hands a driving licence over to a police officer for some reason, and that officer has no way to tell that photo card has been marked as lost or stolen, would you be happy if it were YOUR lost photo card?
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    Ask yourself; if some random stranger who looks a bit like you hands a driving licence over to a police officer for some reason, and that officer has no way to tell that photo card has been marked as lost or stolen, would you be happy if it were YOUR lost photo card?

Are replacement photo cards marked as duplicate?

Even if they are the police wouldn't know the original was lost/stolen if it were produced to them as no one bothers with the issue numbers.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Fat_Walt wrote: »
    Are replacement photo cards marked as duplicate?

Even if they are the police wouldn't know the original was lost/stolen if it were produced to them as no one bothers with the issue numbers.

I would have thought DVLA would keep a record of the lost/stolen issue numbers, so they don't need to be marked as a duplicate.

Bit disappointing if that information isn't filtered to the police service though.
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought DVLA would keep a record of the lost/stolen issue numbers, so they don't need to be marked as a duplicate.

Bit disappointing if that information isn't filtered to the police service though.

Paper ones were marked as duplicate, but still no help if the thief has the original.
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options

Well, this is my point and the main concern. Let's say she has lost it, besides knowing the persons name, DOB and address (which you can get for most people to be honest), how powerful is that ID to a fraudster? I used to be in banking and besides checking whether the licence was real or not, there was nothing to say whether it had been lost or stolen.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Whenever I've applied for a new licence online due to a change of address (last time was in 2015) I had to cut my current licence in half and return it to DVLA. That would be difficult to do if you aren't still in possession of your licence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure