Prepayment meter debt affecting credit rating!

Options
Just wondered if this was happening to everyone with a pre payment meter with debt. So we have pre payment meters gas and electric and there's debt on there from 2011 which comes off each week. So long story short I checked credit score after been refused mortgage in principle, thinking my credit was pretty good. The way n power shows is 18mnths of delinquency on my experian credit report :eek: my argument is that I pay for my gas and electric upfront and pay in fact more then ppl w/o pre payment meters and yes we have this old debt but it looks like we don't pay anything, The mounts of debt decreases but looks like I just don't pay so credit rating now v poor. Is this happening to everybody with meters and debt?
:wave:

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand you used to have metered supplies that you didn't pay, so they have forced you to take on a prepayment meter?

If that is the case then you may be confusing two things. What you top up your pre-paid meter with is strictly for your ongoing use. Besides that, you have a debt from 2011 for some sum. Do you pay that debt in some way? Is it on a payment plan? Or did you pay it off since?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Arleen wrote: »
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand you used to have metered supplies that you didn't pay, so they have forced you to take on a prepayment meter?

If that is the case then you may be confusing two things. What you top up your pre-paid meter with is strictly for your ongoing use. Besides that, you have a debt from 2011 for some sum. Do you pay that debt in some way? Is it on a payment plan? Or did you pay it off since?

If a customer has an agreed repayment arrangement with there supplier, the gas or electricity meter will automatically collect what they owe when they credit there meter.

So both arrears and current usage is paid in the same way.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Yes the above is correct. The arrears are taken at a fixed amount each week as the pre-payment meter is topped up.
    What I don't quite get is how this is being reflected on the credit report. You mention 18 months of delinquency yet say the debt is from 2011 which is more than 18 months ago. You also say the debt is decreasing but it looks as if you are not paying anything. How can that be? If the balance is decreasing then obviously payments are being made.
    What is the status of this account on the credit report?
    Does it just show a (decreasing) balance each month?
    What is the monthly code being reported? Is it 0, 1 .... ?
  • cd0770
    cd0770 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2017 at 10:56AM
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. so the debt was big and each week we pay a agreed amount via the meter and then we have to keep the meter in credit or the gas and electric simply turn off. The status on the credit report is 6,6,6, and the account is in delinquency but the amount we owe goes down but we do pay or we would be in darkness and freezing! i just wondered if anyone else had this happen, I'm now just going to have to pay it off as soon as possible as its decimating my credit score.
    :wave:
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If you have the deposit, pay the debt off
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure