AA Breakdown Cover £20 Fuel Card Offer

Options
Hello All,
there are two points to my post.
1. To see if anyone else has had similar issues
2. To warn people

In June I joined the AA. The main reason was that despite there only being pence between the AA and RAC quotes, the AA offered a £20 fuel card as part of joining.
So that was the sole deciding factor.

About 6 weeks after I joined I realised I had received no fuel card so I contacted the AA by email. Note it was supposed to be 5-15 working days. Not 6 weeks.
They replied saying that Xexec are the ones who send out the card. They had contacted Xexec who said they HAD sent it but would send another.

A few weeks later as I was just about to send a chaser, I finally received the card.
Today I went to use the card only for it to be refused because I needed to enter a PIN.
I had no PIN. Never received one.

So once again I contacted the AA, this time calling them.
I was told that I should have received a follow up letter from Xexec with a PIN number.
Again, no such thing had been received from Xexec.
They gave ME the phone number to call them.
Firstly, I felt this was passing the buck. I now have to spend my money and my time calling Xexec to get a PIN number to use this fuel card.
They should be taking the resposibility.

This whole thing stinks. I feel like Xexec are hoping people will either forget or give up and not use the £20.

So this is a warning if the AA are still offering this con of an offer. It is now 4 months into my membership with the AA and have still not been able to use the £20 fuel card.

Anyone else had this experience?

I asked to cancel my membership with immediate effect but was told that I would receive no refund. It isn't like a car insurance policy where you are refunded pro-rata minus admin costs.

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Unless you've claimed on the insurance, you're entitled to a refund. ICOB 6 I believe.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you've claimed on the insurance, you're entitled to a refund. ICOB 6 I believe.

No.

A refund when you cancel mid term is neither a right nor an " entitlement" unless the policy gives it to you by way of its wording.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Provided you get the £20 worth of fuel, does it really matter that it is not immediate ? As long as you get the reward, there is no justification to cancel.

OK, there was hassle getting the card sorted , but this still doesn't justify cancellation, as there is no problem with the actual product (ie excellent breakdown help) and its price.
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    No.

A refund when you cancel mid term is neither a right nor an " entitlement" unless the policy gives it to you by way of its wording.

No. I've just checked, it's ICOB 7.2

I'm on my mobile so I can't copy the relevant section, but in essance they can only charge time on risk. They can however charge cancellation fees, which may then wipe out the refund.
  • sithemadmonkey
    Options
    No. I've just checked, it's ICOB 7.2

I'm on my mobile so I can't copy the relevant section, but in essance they can only charge time on risk. They can however charge cancellation fees, which may then wipe out the refund.

Close, but you missed ICOBS 7.1, which states that this 'right to cancel' only exists in the first 14 days of the contract.
  • The_AA_Company_Representative
    The_AA_Company_Representative Posts: 251 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hello Matello, we'd really like to help address this. Please email the details including your 635601 membership number, address and contact number to chat@theaa.com so that we can investigate this for you. Please title your email Reference FOR194215. We look forward to hearing from you. Kind Regards
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of The AA. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • CazyDee
    CazyDee Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem...

I took my card to Sainsburys and they said I needed a PIN number.
    I hadn't received a PIN number in the post so I called the card company on 02035142425.
    They gave me a pin number over the phone.

I took my card back to Sainsburys and their machine struggled to read the card. When it finally did work it wouldn't accept the card.

Sainsburys staff said that they had had trouble with the AA cards before and that they don't accept them.

I called the card company back and they said that the card will only work when you're paying EXACTLY the same value as written on the card.
  • The_AA_Company_Representative
    The_AA_Company_Representative Posts: 251 Organisation Representative
    Options
    CazyDee wrote: »
    I had exactly the same problem...

I took my card to Sainsburys and they said I needed a PIN number.
    I hadn't received a PIN number in the post so I called the card company on 02035142425.
    They gave me a pin number over the phone.

I took my card back to Sainsburys and their machine struggled to read the card. When it finally did work it wouldn't accept the card.

Sainsburys staff said that they had had trouble with the AA cards before and that they don't accept them.

I called the card company back and they said that the card will only work when you're paying EXACTLY the same value as written on the card.

Hi, have you managed to spend this yet? If you are still experiencing problems please email your details including membership number, address and contact number to chat@theaa.com Reference FOR199912 and we'll get this looked in to. Thank you
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of The AA. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure