Post Graduate Level 7 vs Masters Degree

Options
Hi
Bit silly question, but is there any difference between the above ?

I am due for a course in September and was looking same course is offered at Westminister at Master degree 2 year part time.
And same course and duration at my local college in partnership with a known university.
On their info page it says, since this course is at masters lever (level 7) so you must hold minimum 2:1.

Fee for college is £3000 less.

Also it says, you can progress to full MSc after Year 2.

I am bit confused.

Please help.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So what qualification (if any) does the college give you after your 2 years of study? It sounds like it won't be a Masters degree, and that you then need to pay extra and study for longer to get that, so if you need the MSc how does the total cost compare to doing it at Westminster? Perhaps some links to the relevant pages would help us.
  • Double_V
    Double_V Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    College degree is called Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management Level 7 (partime - 2years).

Westminster course is called MSc in Human Resource Management (partime - 2 years).
  • skint_chick
    skint_chick Posts: 872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It takes a few 2 academic years to get the postgraduate diploma part-time - the taught part of the course. Then in the September of the 3rd academic year - 2 calendar years after you've started - you start the research/dissertation part to make it up to a Masters by the end of the academic year. The £3,000 difference will be what you pay for the final year to take you from a postgrad diploma to a Masters.

Go with whichever is the best university for the course, modules that you want and will offer you the best chance of post graduation employment/career options.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 March 2015 at 9:15PM
    Options
    A Masters can be split into 3 stages.

Stage 1 Postgraduate Certificate - 60 credits
    Stage 2 postgraduate Diploma - 60 credits (i.e 120 credits of study in total)
    Stage 3 Masters - this is usually the 60 credit dissertation. (total of 180 credits to complete the Masters)

In a one year Masters these stages usually represent each term of study. You need to check how much it will cost to complete the final 60 credits as it may work out to a similar amount as the Westminster course.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • Double_V
    Double_V Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    I have now got an exam this May.
    Bit scary. Hopefully will pass it.

Any exams tips ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income